Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #46
eBooksgp
Connoisseur
eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCoorlim View Post
Booze drowns out my inner self-critical editor. I don't often write drunk, but when I do I'm less risk-averse.

I'd never self-edit while intoxicated, though. "Write drunk/edit sober."
Agree
eBooksgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #47
WPotocki
Connoisseur
WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's all about triggering the limbic system. Any extreme emotion will do it, as well as other starters. It's why that many individuals prone to depression are involved in the creative process. The thing is, they could be very happy and do the same thing. Or involve themselves in other processes that unleash the power contained in this part of the brain. Did in-depth research into it, and hence, my foray into the wonderful world of writing!
WPotocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #48
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPotocki View Post
It's all about triggering the limbic system. Any extreme emotion will do it, as well as other starters. It's why that many individuals prone to depression are involved in the creative process. The thing is, they could be very happy and do the same thing. Or involve themselves in other processes that unleash the power contained in this part of the brain. Did in-depth research into it, and hence, my foray into the wonderful world of writing!
That's interesting - I'm not exactly clinically depressed but I have my moments. I'm always trying to find something creative but I get easily frustrated with my inadequacy. However, if there's one thing that gets me writing it's generally rage or at the very least a heightened sense of snark about something.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #49
WPotocki
Connoisseur
WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
That's interesting - I'm not exactly clinically depressed but I have my moments. I'm always trying to find something creative but I get easily frustrated with my inadequacy. However, if there's one thing that gets me writing it's generally rage or at the very least a heightened sense of snark about something.
Dadioflex -

Yup, rage ... it makes sense, right?

It ties into Frances Yates, The Art of Memory. It's this same system that needs activation to set up your own Globe Theater! Also Betty Edwards, Drawing from the Right Side of Your Brain. Same difference!

Lots of ways to get to it. I'm sure we all have our own, but once you realize why you're doing something, then you can logically find a more productive replacement for it.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:49 AM   #50
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Lots of ways to get to it. I'm sure we all have our own, but once you realize why you're doing something, then you can logically find a more productive replacement for it.
I should be using my rage for something more productive than writing? I HAVE offered to hit people with rakes on Youtube videos - that sort of thing?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #51
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
I should be using my rage for something more productive than writing? I HAVE offered to hit people with rakes on Youtube videos - that sort of thing?
As long as you can find those kind of constructive outlets for your anger, I don't see a problem.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #52
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
There is actually a legal term "abject sozzlement" in the UK which pertains to those whose brain functions have been compromised by too much alcohol. So I'm guessing that while it may help in small quantities, large ones are a bad idea.

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #53
WPotocki
Connoisseur

Quote:

NO, LOL!!!!

You should find a more productive trigger than rage. Find a substitute for it that isn't quite so ... er ... aahhh ... (blither) ... so hostile!

Rage and anger is such a drain on energy.

So funny!
Old 03-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #54
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
It is interesting that you have chosen "rakes" as your weapon of choice.

Checking the word's historical uses in Wikipedia, indicates that you may have repressed subliminal desires that need attention. This could be contributing to your rages.

Do your writings typically involve the despoiling of tender young innocents?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #55
ScottPhillipsNM
ScottPhillipsNM
ScottPhillipsNM taught Chuck Norris how to fight.ScottPhillipsNM taught Chuck Norris how to fight.ScottPhillipsNM taught Chuck Norris how to fight.ScottPhillipsNM taught Chuck Norris how to fight.ScottPhillipsNM taught Chuck Norris how to fight.ScottPhillipsNM taught Chuck Norris how to fight.ScottPhillipsNM taught Chuck Norris how to fight.ScottPhillipsNM taught Chuck Norris how to fight.ScottPhillipsNM taught Chuck Norris how to fight.ScottPhillipsNM taught Chuck Norris how to fight.ScottPhillipsNM taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kindle
Hi folks, I'm new here and felt compelled to post on this particular thread for some reason...

I tried the drunken writing thing one time -- me and a buddy of mine were hired to write a script for a movie called FIST OF THE NORTH STAR II, the sequel to the live-action FIST OF THE NORTH STAR movie (natch). We were completely stuck on one sequence and figured we'd loosen up the ol' ideas with some whiskey. What we didn't take into account was the fact that we were both lightweights, so the sauce hit us fast and hard. We wrote, all right -- probably 10 or 12 pages -- but it was the most insane bunch of garbage anyone has ever seen. We didn't realize that until the next morning, of course.

The best part? We left some of it in the script and none of the producers ever mentioned it.
ScottPhillipsNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #56
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Another excellent way of venting nervous energy...
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:23 AM   #57
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count

Quote:

Checking the word's historical uses in Wikipedia, indicates that you may have repressed subliminal desires that need attention. This could be contributing to your rages.

You may be on to something. This is one of mine:

http://www.charmingcad.com/

Not very rakish though - largely about my attempts to grow cherry tomatoes and chillies hydroponically - SPOILER - the cherry tomato plant turned out to be a normal tomato plant. There's a hot tomato joke in there somewhere though.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:34 AM   #58
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count

Quote:
Rage and anger is such a drain on energy.

So funny!
Broadly speaking I agree. For the undirected man rage is wearying and futile, but when you use it to drive your obsession it becomes a powerful motivation. Just ask Gully Goyle. Hmm.

The trick with rage is avoiding its manifestation - which is why rage and alcohol is a shoddy combination.

Now, you'll argue, I expect, that "Love" is a more positive motivation, but I've never felt an ounce of love that didn't lead to a metric tonne of rage not long after.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #59
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:

The new version of Clue: The gardener in the shed with a rake.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #60
WPotocki
Connoisseur

Quote:
Broadly speaking I agree. For the undirected man rage is wearying and futile, but when you use it to drive your obsession it becomes a powerful motivation. Just ask Gully Goyle. Hmm.

The trick with rage is avoiding its manifestation - which is why rage and alcohol is a shoddy combination.

Now, you'll argue, I expect, that "Love" is a more positive motivation, but I've never felt an ounce of love that didn't lead to a metric tonne of rage not long after.
Nope! Wasn't going to say that at all. Remember, we're talking about triggering/activating limbic system so love really wouldn't be all that good. However, the 'passion' of love would. I did try that. The first story I wrote I was having trouble with. It was a twisted little story of sick individuals getting together. Underneath all the horrors that sprang from it, was a love story. Used Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet. It was always a favorite of mine and elicits all this passion and sadness and doom, exactly what the story was about! Boom! Two seconds into the music, the tears flowed and so did the story! Never looked back.

Unfortunately, it was my first effort. It needs work. Very, very right-brained and most readers HATE that kind of writing! I happen to love, but understand where it's way different than what they're used to.

Again, it has to be a 'bigger than life' emotion. Not like pink happy "I'm in love," or 'life is good." In terms of a philosophy or life purpose, yes, I would indeed argue that love is much better than rage to strive for, but not necessarily for getting to that limbic system!

Actually, have this whole theory on how Greek mythology is key in explaining how to activate, but, you know, it's my theory and most likely makes sense only to me!