Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: September 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (No. 1 in the Series) by Alexander McCall Smith 5 6.41%
A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 7 8.97%
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson 12 15.38%
The Chinese Maze Murders by Robert van Gulik (1st Judge Dee mystery by van Gulik) 21 26.92%
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins 6 7.69%
The Book of Fate by Brad Meltzer 3 3.85%
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie 7 8.97%
Bruno, Chief of Police: A Novel Of The French Countryside by Martin Walker 3 3.85%
Ghost Story: A Novel of the Dresden Files (The Dresden Files, Book #13) by Jim Butcher 0 0%
Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book #1) by Jim Butcher 14 17.95%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is Chinese Maze Murders a continuation from Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee is it the same Judge Dee? If so, it has to be #2 since even though Robert didn't write it, he continued from there.
"Even though Robert didn't write it." Exactly! You've got it now. Chinese Maze Murders is the first book he wrote.

I'm glad you agree at long last.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #17
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Well so that issue regarding the The Chinese Maze Murders has been well aired. These all look good to me expect for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (there is no way I'm reading that twice ), A Study in Scarlet (it would be dull to read that for the umpteenth time, although it is real short), or Ghost Story: A Novel of the Dresden Files (the 13th book in a series that does not really interest me).
Old 08-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
"Even though Robert didn't write it." Exactly! You've got it now. Chinese Maze Murders is the first book he wrote.

I'm glad you agree at long last.
I agree it's Robert's first book second in the series.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #19
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I had originally planned to vote for The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, but I've been wanting to read Storm Front for months now, so I voted for that instead. Unfortunately, if the vote holds its current course I won't get to read either as the book club selection.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I had originally planned to vote for The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, but I've been wanting to read Storm Front for months now, so I voted for that instead. Unfortunately, if the vote holds its current course I won't get to read either as the book club selection.
The way it's going, we'll be reading #2 in a series instead of #1.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #21
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
The way it's going, we'll be reading #2 in a series instead of #1.
Jon, you've got to stop beating all those dead horses. Do you really think it ingratiates anyone to you? It is old and annoying.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

delete this post

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-22-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:23 AM   #23
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Is Chinese Maze Murders a continuation from Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee is it the same Judge Dee? If so, it has to be #2 since even though Robert didn't write it, he continued from there....
From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Van Gulik's novels and stories made no direct reference to the original Chinese work and so Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee is not considered to be part of the Judge Dee series.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 08-23-2011 at 12:25 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
From Wikipedia:
Is this the same character? If so, then regardless if there is a direct reference or not, it's still #2 given that it was written after.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:04 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
PLEASE give it a rest, Jon. We all get it. Nobody gives two hoots about it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #26
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
PLEASE give it a rest, Jon. We all get it. Nobody gives two hoots about it.
Except perhaps for the members whose votes have rocketed The Chinese Maze Murders by Robert van Gulik to a commanding lead since Jon's complaints began drawing attention to it.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 08-23-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #27
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^That brings up an interesting point. I'm thinking the votes for book club selections should be anonymous. People should be voting based on whhat they think about the books up for election and not based on what someone else may have voted for.

Fairness in the electoral process is something we should be striving for.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #28
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^That brings up an interesting point. I'm thinking the votes for book club selections should be anonymous. People should be voting based on whhat they think about the books up for election and not based on what someone else may have voted for.

Fairness in the electoral process is something we should be striving for.
It never bothered me, but I must confess to being a bit nosy. I've always liked seeing who voted for what.

But it's not up to me. The members rule: What do the rest of you think? Is there enough interest to start a poll on this?
Old 08-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #29
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I like seeing what people have voted for. It doesn't affect my choice (although number of votes might--I'm more likely to throw my support to my second choice if it's a contender and my first isn't). Seeing the voters serves a purpose, though. I like getting a handle on what people like to read; it helps me to know if a recommendation might be to my taste or if my tastes are entirely incongruent with another poster's.

I don't see what's inherently unfair about knowing. So long as no sockpuppets are voting (and I'm not suggesting they are), it's a fair vote. Other than that, any influence is legit. Adding to my point above, if someone whose taste I trust is campaigning heavily for a particular book, that might convince me, and why not?
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
It never bothered me, but I must confess to being a bit nosy. I've always liked seeing who voted for what.

But it's not up to me. The members rule: What do the rest of you think? Is there enough interest to start a poll on this?
We've wanted a hidden poll for a good while now. The forum software does not currently support this. But what we could do is PM you our vote and you can tally them and let us know what the votes come out to be. That would be the most fair. I do think that a lot of people don't vote the way they want because it would be a wasted vote. But if we do not know, then there's no reason to vote for a book that has a lot of votes. There are two books that have a shot and the problem is that none of the others now will get voted upon due to the other two.

I would be interested in trying this for a few votes and see how the spread actually goes. If the spread turns out to be more even, then it's the open vote influencing people. And while the vote is going on, we don't say what we've voted for.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-23-2011 at 01:46 PM.