Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Diesel eBooks introducing Mobipocket format / 15% discount

We received word from Scott Redford, president of Diesel eBooks, that his e-book store is now also offering e-books in the Mobipocket format (which must have gained in popularity ever since Amazon introduced the Kindle). From the press-release:

Quote:
Diesel eBooks (http://www.diesel-ebooks.com) announced today that it is celebrating the addition of Mobipocket ebooks to its inventory by permanently offering over 750 Mobipocket titles for download at no charge. The Mobipocket ebooks add to Diesel's existing Adobe, Microsoft and Palm/eReader formats and brings the current inventory to over 200,000.
Scott also passed us a 15% off coupon which is valid until March 20, 2008. To receive the discount, use this code at checkout: Mobilebreath5347
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
IreneDelse
Groupie
IreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3 & Opus
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Diesel Ebooks sells only in "secure" formats, and I thought the Kindle couldn't read the Secure Mobipocket, only the non-DRM'd version?
IreneDelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Where does one find the free MobiPocket books?
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Irene, you are right, the Kindle can read only non-drm'ed Mobipocket files. On the Diesel site, if you click on "free" ebooks (in the dropdown list on the left side of the site), it says that you must have Mobipocket installed to read the books, and that rules out the Kindle.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
binzer
Zealot
binzer doesn't litterbinzer doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
Score! Lots of good books there, thanks for heads up

Sorry Kindle owners
binzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Maybe not the "official" way of doing it, but have you tried Igorsk's Mobi-Kindle tool?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17239
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:39 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Maybe not the "official" way of doing it, but have you tried Igorsk's Mobi-Kindle tool?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17239
In a similar note has anyone tried to register a Kindle on the site? If you can register your kindle then the eBooks will work fine on your Kindle since the DRM will be generated correctly. This is how some other sites support the Kindle.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It looks like my Kindle's PID was accepted.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:19 PM   #9
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It looks like my Kindle's PID was accepted.
Ok -- that's step one for a Kindle owner. Two: the site also says I have to have mobireader installed and registered on at least one device. But I have a Mac .... is that possible on a mac?

Then again -- it looks like all the free books are Project Gutenberg sourced. I can get those elsewhere. So I'll survive if I can't use this web site.

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 03-11-2008 at 06:22 PM. Reason: last para - more info
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Ok -- that's step one for a Kindle owner. Two: the site also says I have to have mobireader installed and registered on at least one device. But I have a Mac .... is that possible on a mac?

Then again -- it looks like all the free books are Project Gutenberg sourced. I can get those elsewhere. So I'll survive if I can't use this web site.
There are actually two ways to do it. Both require a moderate level of expertise in computers.

The easiest way (might not be legal) is to buy the ebook with a fictitious Mibipocket PID, and then remove the DRM. All you will need to do this is a python emulator and a program called "mobidedrm". You can find more information here. An example of a fictitious but valid PID:

JF24EZK$KA
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Generally if the PID is accepted you are home free. You buy the book or authorize the free book from the web site and then download it via your browser. You then mount your device via USB and move the file over to your unit. Since the DRM PID is embedded in the eBook and it matches the PID on your device then you will have no trouble reading the book. I am not sure where, on the device, you will read the PID. It probably on some about screen but I have seen this data in the Kindle forum in the past so it should be available.

this is an honest and clean way to work with mobipocket files on Kindle and does not violate any laws. I suggest you just try it on one of their free books.

Dale
Old 03-12-2008, 02:02 PM   #12
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I am not sure where, on the device, you will read the PID. It probably on some about screen but I have seen this data in the Kindle forum in the past so it should be available.
Dale
Yes, one of the scripts from igorsk will turn a Kindle serial number into a Kindle PID. If that's all I need, great! The site said I needed to install the mobiread software, so I was worried about that. I'll give this a try and letcha know, just for the group's general knowledge base.

moments later: the free books don't even ask for a PID, so they must not be DRMed.

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 03-12-2008 at 02:23 PM. Reason: more info
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:09 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, one of the scripts from igorsk will turn a Kindle serial number into a Kindle PID. If that's all I need, great! The site said I needed to install the mobiread software, so I was worried about that. I'll give this a try and letcha know, just for the group's general knowledge base.

moments later: the free books don't even ask for a PID, so they must not be DRMed.
Good to know. I would have thought that was the way it would work but someone in this thread insisted that all Diesel books had DRM. Guess someone will actually have to buy a book to test this but more other sites will work without needing anything loaded on a PC. Sorry I don't own a Kindle.

Dale
Old 03-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #14
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruss View Post
Where does one find the free MobiPocket books?
Either on the mobipocket site, or you make them yourself with the free mobipocket creator program.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:25 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
Either on the mobipocket site, or you make them yourself with the free mobipocket creator program.
That is certainly not true in the context of this thread about Diesel eBooks. You can find them at: http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/cgi-bin.../free_download which can also be reached from the home page in the left column where it says FREE eBooks

Dale