Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
mdemos
mdemos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
An Inexpensive Screen Protector Alternative....

For anyone interested, there's a very inexpensive alternative to the Kindle screen protector, as opposed to spending (as much as) $30 on the "professional" version.

All it takes is a trip down to your local fabric store (Jo-Ann Fabrics, Minnesota Fabrics, local independents, etc., etc.), to pick up a small quantity of clear vinyl. Most decent shops have it on large rolls, similar to the bulk fabrics they carry, and usually have it in a variety of thicknesses, too (generally, the thicker the better).

Once you have it, just measure, cut to fit, and apply the vinyl to your Kindle screen. And the excess material can be put to use as a protector of other devices you may own (it also works great as a watch crystal protector, too!).

Best part is, even if you end up purchasing a full yard of the vinyl, the most you'll spend is a few bucks total.......AND, you'll rest assured knowing you're protecting your screen from the nicks and scratches that can accumulate over the lifetime of your Kindle!
mdemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemos View Post
Once you have it, just measure, cut to fit, and apply the vinyl to your Kindle screen. And the excess material can be put to use as a protector of other devices you may own (it also works great as a watch crystal protector, too!).
Good tip but apply how? I think most skins are applied with some water and a small amount of dishwashing soap in it. Any guidance here?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #3
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Good tip but apply how? I think most skins are applied with some water and a small amount of dishwashing soap in it. Any guidance here?

BOb
The stuff works by static cling, no soap needed. People used to use it on PDAs years ago before the good Boxwave type protectors became available. I've tried it, but it doesn't feel good to write on with a stylus, and gets dented and marked up quickly.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Well, for the $15, pre-cut, free matching wallpaper, and terrific selection of patterns, I think I like this option better......but thats just me....

http://www.decalgirl.com/browse.cfm/4,18797.htm

There is a link on the bottom for 'how to'.........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Well, for the $15, pre-cut, free matching wallpaper, and terrific selection of patterns, I think I like this option better......but thats just me....
Ok, I think you are misreading this. I think the poster is talking about protecting the screen itself. Does the decalgirl cover the screen?

No, it doesn't... from that web site:

"Each kit covers the front and back of the Kindle and includes a power adapter skin. "

So, nothing is protecting the screen itself.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
KimmyA
KimmyA began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
What an awesome idea. Thanks for the tip. I like that it works by static cling. I won't have to put anything on the screen to make it stick. Cool.
KimmyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
CribQuilter
Enthusiast
CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
This is a great idea, and I already have a lot of this stuff hanging around as I make wallets and use it to have a compartment for the drivers license.
CribQuilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Pretty neat idea, might give it a try.
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok, I think you are misreading this. I think the poster is talking about protecting the screen itself. Does the decalgirl cover the screen?

No, it doesn't... from that web site:

"Each kit covers the front and back of the Kindle and includes a power adapter skin. "

So, nothing is protecting the screen itself.

BOb
well, duh!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote