Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-29-2019, 10:57 AM   #1
sk88
sk88 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3, Kindle Paperwhite, Nook Simple Touch
Post Simple App Wishlist for Max Devices

TL;DR: Suggest some apps I can make for the Max devices.

I recently picked up an Onyx Boox Max 3, and it is turning out to be every bit of the device that I've searched for. It's great for music sheets given its large size, as well as taking notes, reading manga, reading technical books. The note taking was my priority as I already have a kindle.

Anyway, there are a few features that I wish this device had, software wise. And I definitely wish some of the android apps were better suited for an eink screen. Soooo, I am not committing to any sort of timeline, but I have put a couple prototypes together for things I wish were included / worked better (layered drawing, handwriting practice, ...). I am hoping to get some ideas on other simple projects I could put together and then release for the large-format eink note-taking community. Some of you who have had the Max / Max 2 (or current gen) have ideas for apps that don't exist or don't quite work for what you want?
sk88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:05 AM   #2
adrians
Enthusiast
adrians doesn't litteradrians doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Are you thinking of writing new apps? It's not quite clear what your intent is.
adrians is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2019, 09:52 AM   #3
sk88
sk88 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3, Kindle Paperwhite, Nook Simple Touch
Yeah, I could have been more clear. I am making new apps. I already have a couple ideas, but I am asking people who have more experience with these devices (or anyone really) if they have ideas for things that would better suit them and their workflow.

For instance, for me personally, I would really like an app where I can draw, and have multiple layers, so I'm working on something that does that. I am also practicing Japanese so having an option to work on stroke order / handwriting by display characters in the background and tracing over them is also something I am looking for. There are apps that do this in the android store but all of the ones I've tried are laggy. The apps that I have made are utilizing the onyx sdks so it's as seamless as the built in note app.
sk88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:08 AM   #4
LightReader
LightReader began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Nova Pro
Not using a Max but I thing an alternative navigation ball app should be suitable as a simple app. Here's what I don't like about the stock app:

- It only have 5 buttons. Better to allow for 5 other buttons (either by putting them on an outer semicircle, or show then upon pressing the center cicle).
- Doesn't allow for hot turning on/off the lights. It only opens the light setting dialog. Better if you can make it toggle the lights on/off at a press of a button (emulating the long-press of the physical back button).
LightReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:15 PM   #5
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk88 View Post
The apps that I have made are utilizing the onyx sdks so it's as seamless as the built in note app.

Hi sk88, not really what you asked, but here's my proposal: help koreader to get epd updates in non A2 mode. Since you're already working with onyx sdk it should'n take too long, maybe a couple of hours, to figure out how to fix that. The issue in question is https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/5073.

We added support for other kind of devices thanks to user feedback but no luck with onyx yet. Nobody step in with both a device and knowledge.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
apps, max, suggestions, wishlist