Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-11-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
Varley
Varley began at the beginning.

Device: Gen3
Some .prc from mobipocket won't open

I've bought 3 books from www.mobipocket.com - registered the PID etc. The first book opens fine and is readable.

The other 2 cannot be opened and the cybook says they are invalid (files dragged and dropped on Windows and also on a Mac, different browsers etc).

So I've installed the mobileread software on windows and the files open fine in it and work. If I then sync them to the cybook again I get the same problem.

So its looking to me like the cybook cannot cope with certain .prc format books supplied by Mobipocket.

I understand that the .prc format is generally a bit of mess so I'm guessing that these 2 books are probably in a poorly built format of it.

Any suggestions ?
Varley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My only suggestion is that you contact Bookeen; hopefully they'll be able to fix any compatibility issues in a future firmware release.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
In addition to contacting Bookeen, you should also contact Mobipocket - you'll need to post a thread in their forum (that's their first line of support).
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:33 PM   #4
GoneNova
Enthusiast
GoneNova is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 4,Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura One, Libra2
I just bought a Secure Mobi book that locks up the Gen3 when I try to open it. I don't even get an error message. It doesn't matter if it's on the SD card or in internal memory. My other secure Mobi books still work fine. I can read the book on my PC and Pocket PC. Got in touch with Fictionwise, and they sent me to the Mobi Forums. Hopefully, I'll hear something from Mobipocket. For now, I'm reading the book on my Pocket PC. Haven't read anything on it since getting the Cybook- What a difference! It's hard going back.
GoneNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:37 AM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNova View Post
I just bought a Secure Mobi book that locks up the Gen3 when I try to open it. I don't even get an error message. It doesn't matter if it's on the SD card or in internal memory. My other secure Mobi books still work fine. I can read the book on my PC and Pocket PC. Got in touch with Fictionwise, and they sent me to the Mobi Forums. Hopefully, I'll hear something from Mobipocket. For now, I'm reading the book on my Pocket PC. Haven't read anything on it since getting the Cybook- What a difference! It's hard going back.
It is most probably a problem with images. My mobi2mobi (part of MobiPerl) has a flag gen3imagefix that might fix the file. Use it as:
Code:
  mobi2mobi --outfile new.prc --gen3imagefix original.prc
If this fix the problem please report this file to Bookeen since I find this bug very irritating and I really would like it to be fixed in the first firmware update.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2008, 06:50 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do any of your tools actually work with DRM laden Mobi files?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The "mobi2mobi" tool does, yes. It doesn't touch the encrypted portions of the file - just replaces images and metadata.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote