Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
dubaaron
dubaaron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Running services at startup

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone can tell me the quick and easy way to run services at startup?

I'm trying to make it so that lrizzo's awesome "myts.arm" terminal / launchpad app runs by default at startup. Right now I have to manually start it via remote login, or using the "Kindleterm" kindlet.

Can I make an /etc/rc.local ?

My ubuntu computer's rc.local says "This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel" -- so it seems like if I just put a command to start it in there
(e.g. "/mnt/us/kiterm/myts.arm &") then it might run that up to 4 times, if it goes into all of runlevels 2-5.

Or is there another way? I've been looking up docs on the issue, but it's hard to find exactly the best way to do it; so I thought I'd post here, so it might benefit other Kindle tweaking people.
dubaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
The Kindle runlevel scripts don't look for an rc.local. You should do it properly anyway.

Look at the other scripts in /etc/init.d and make one that starts this app.
Make a symbolic link from /etc/rc5.d to that script and name it S99yourappname
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
dubaaron
dubaaron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Ah. That makes sense. Thank you. It's a thought that occurred to me, but I just wasn't 100% clear enough to know that was the right way to to it.
dubaaron is offline   Reply With Quote