Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-04-2010, 06:34 AM   #1
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch wifi, Kindle 3 Wifi, Asus Transformer TF101
Forward button

Hello,

Could you guys please tell me how to move forward in Kindle 3. It has a back button, but what to do when you accidently press it? How to move forward, then?

TIA
hellraiser06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:41 AM   #2
bitschnau
Enthusiast
bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
If you can move back, you have moved forward before. If you accidently move back, you just repeat the action, which moved you forward before and you reach the point, where you were before moving backwards accidently.

Besides the "Back"-Action is not the button you use to move backwards in a book. For this you have two other buttons on both sides of the kindle to switch pages for- and backward.
bitschnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Thanks for stating the obvious, captain. Really appreciated..

Can I have some real help please?
Old 11-04-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
warp
Connoisseur
warp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
@hellraiser06: Maybe you should explain a bit more detailed what kind of problem you have...
warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:38 AM   #5
bitschnau
Enthusiast
bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser06 View Post
Thanks for stating the obvious, captain. Really appreciated..

Can I have some real help please?
If my answer wasn't helpful, I did not understand your question. Help me!
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo

Okay, consider this scenario:

You are on TOC of a book. You click on a chapter and continue reading for 20 pages and you push "back". Now, how do you go to the exact page that you were reading? One solution is to click on the chapter, forward to the page you were on - 20 times.
Is there a more elegant solution to this, like just push a combination of buttons that make you go forward, as in "undo the back action".

An analogy can be a website on a web browser. You are on the page "www.yahoo.com". Now, you are somewhere deep inside the site. You click back. To go forward you have two options now:
1) Either click on the link again, or
2) Push forward on the browser

Unfortunately Kindle is not like a web browser, that takes you to the exact same place by clikcing on forward, as in it does not HAVE a forward button.

Does it make sense?

And, am sorry bitschnau, I did not mean to be rude. There is a difference between page turns and going forward in a Kindle. I hope I am clear this time.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:44 AM   #7
bitschnau
Enthusiast

Quote:
And, am sorry bitschnau, I did not mean to be rude. There is a difference between page turns and going forward in a Kindle. I hope I am clear this time.
No problem, you were more funny, than rude. At least i was laughing. ;-)

Now it's clear and at first sight, without reading your signature, I thought you don't own a Kindle and you asked, because you are curious, why there is no forward button on the device.

But enough of that, back to your question.

This sure is an issue, and I don't have any idea better than my first try. There is an option"Sync to firthest page read..." in the menu, which raised the question for me, is Kindle placing my read position into my account online? I ask because Kindle wants to do online, if you choose the option.

But enough of me. Sorry, I can't help you hellraiser06. If the function mentioned above is not solving the problem, I ran out of options here.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I wish there were a Forward button, or a functional equivalent (such as Shift+Back or ALT+Back). There have been many times when I accidentally press Back one too many times, and it often leaves you with no convenient way to get back to where you intended to be.

It would also be useful for navigation with the web browser, and would be helpful in navigating Kindle in general (for jumping back AND forth between locations/books etc.).

All I can suggest is to send comments to kindle-feedback@amazon.com (as I have). Fortunately it is the kind of thing one develops an awareness about, and I find myself tripping over it less and less the more I use my K3. K2 has the same problem, but the button isn't so easy to press accidentally.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post

All I can suggest is to send comments to kindle-feedback@amazon.com (as I have). Fortunately it is the kind of thing one develops an awareness about, and I find myself tripping over it less and less the more I use my K3. K2 has the same problem, but the button isn't so easy to press accidentally.
Good idea.
It has happen to me also often that I push on the Back and than to get back to where I was, it seriously can interrupt my 'flow of thought' while reading.
Will also ask Amazon to consider an Alt+Back button.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #10
bball2
bball2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Yeah I find this to be an issue as well, especially if I want to go back to the start of the chapter to see the title, or check out the table of contents (kind of analogous to placing your finger in a book while scrolling back then coming back to it).

I just end up adding a bookmark whenever I have a desire to flip back, it's a bit cumbersome, but it works fine.
bball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #11
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bball2 View Post
Yeah I find this to be an issue as well, especially if I want to go back to the start of the chapter to see the title, or check out the table of contents (kind of analogous to placing your finger in a book while scrolling back then coming back to it).

I just end up adding a bookmark whenever I have a desire to flip back, it's a bit cumbersome, but it works fine.
As far as going to the start of a chapter, can't you use the left arrow and then hit "back" to get to where you just were? I want to say I've done that before, but I'm not positive. I know it works that way the opposite as I've used the right arrow to get to the next chapter and then hit "back" to jump back to where I was.

As for the original issue. It is probably something that should be suggested to Amazon as others have suggested.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:38 PM   #12
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.
cjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Hello,

Could you guys please tell me how to move forward in Kindle 3. It has a back button, but what to do when you accidently press it? How to move forward, then?

TIA
Right with you on the nature of this problem.

I had this same observation yesterday when I accidentally hit the "back" button and then wanted to go "forward."

Not forward as in "the next page in the book" but forward meaning "undo the effect of the BACK button"!

"Alt-Back" as a "forward" function would be nice. I just suggested it to Amazon.
cjottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:29 AM   #13
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo

aaaaaoooooooooooohhhhhhhhh, so we dont really have the button. Thanks for the
replies guys!! I will drop a mail to Amazon. When I needed the "forward" button for the first time with my kindle, I intuitively pressed "alt-forward cursor" to undo the effect and waited for the eink screen to flash...lol...
Old 11-15-2013, 02:01 AM   #14
retvek
retvek began at the beginning.

Device: k3, dx
This problem from three years ago is still an issue for me! Especially when in need to move forward constantly in a book with lots of footnotes, as is the case for many non-fiction texts (non-linked footnotes, that is. Amazon has improved pdf conversion to mobi considerably, it seems, but footnotes in the main text are still not rendered as links)

I am on a K3. Do you know whether any of the new kindles/ kindle softwares include that "forward" function? Also, any of the alternative applications for kindle? (like kpdf or librerator --great applications by the way, but they don't seem to have this function yet either.)

Last edited by retvek; 11-15-2013 at 02:07 AM.
retvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #15
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
No this kind of forward function doesn't exist. In fact, it is only with the newly released Paperwhite that there is even a function to jump forward a chapter at a time, even that has been missing from the touch screen Kindle's up until now.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote