Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-24-2013, 05:03 AM   #1
didier6526
didier6526 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
how can I open more than 700 books

hello
I'm french you can speak french if you want.
I have 4000 book in my library
how can I open more than 700 books in the program calibre.
if I try it I have an error message

thanks
didier
didier6526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:12 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@didier6526 Please post the error message - French is OK, and English if its possible

Open 700 books to do what task - View, Convert, Update Metadata... ?

What OS - Windows, OS/X or Linux (which one)?

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:18 AM   #3
didier6526

I want to find duplicates, to change the name of the files (first the author and second the title, to find all the policies book etc...
I want to change the categories if the books
and I can't have all the books in the same window

Windows XP SP3

thanks
Old 03-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I suspect that the computer doesn't have enough memory to open 700 books at the same time. And even if it was possible it would be difficult for you to switch between them to match them.

Normally you make absolutely sure that title and author is correct every time you add a book. After that there are several helpful functions in calibre to fix the rest.

Download metadata and covers.
Find duplicates.
Merge books with different formats.

And so on.

To perform these functions it is not necessary for you to open the books. Calibre handles it more or less automatically.

But title and author must be correct, otherwise it will not work. Fix that first.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
didier6526

hello
you say:
To perform these functions it is not necessary for you to open the books. Calibre handles it more or less automatically.

how can you work on the books if you don'y open them?

the tutorial is in english and I don't understand all

thanks
didier
Old 03-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
When you work with the metadata for books in calibre you don't work with the actual books. Instead you work with a database entry for the book. That is why it is absolutely necessary to have at least title and author correct when you add books. Each book entry in the database can refer to several ebook files, the same book but in different formats.

So if you make sure that the title and author are correct when you add books, calibre can locate covers, series information and tags and a lot of other metadata for the books. Also calibre let you sort the books so you can easily find duplicates or books with incorrect author names and titles. Then you may have to open the book to see what the title and author really is.

When the book entries in the database are correct you can let calibre write this information to the books. When you send books to device, or save to disk, the books are also automatically updated.

The reason for the database is that it is very slow to open a lot of books to read metadata from them, or to write to them. It is much, much faster to read and write to a small database file instead. And very fast to sort and search.

If the author and title for your books isn't correct, then you have to fix that first. Then you may have to open some of the books to see what the author and title really is. But usually calibre can read this from the filename or from the metadata already inside the ebook file.

I usually work something like this:

1. Add some books to calibre. Let calibre try to read metadata from the books.
2. Make sure that author and title is correct for each book. Open the book if in doubt.
3. Check to see that the new books are not already in calibre. Merge or delete if needed.
4. Download metadata for the new books. Also covers.
5. Check that all books look ok. Series information and cover and so on.
6. Send new books to my tablet for reading.

It takes perhaps 5-10 minutes per book to make sure everything is perfect.

Last edited by Adoby; 03-24-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote