Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #61
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I'm actually willing to pay more for an ebook than a physical version of a book as the ebook is more conveniant and my preferred format.
Same for me if I really want a book. I prefer ebook and I avoid pbook at any cost.
I keep on changing countries and shifting and I always used to pay the most of the overweight in air travel for the books. That has changed a lot now and airlines don't earn from me as they used to So, for me, long-term, even more expensive ebook is saving of money and space.
Plus I get to carry as many books for my holidays and choose then and there
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #62
Marbles
Zealot
Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KoboTouch & Kobo Vox iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Same for me if I really want a book. I prefer ebook and I avoid pbook at any cost.
I keep on changing countries and shifting and I always used to pay the most of the overweight in air travel for the books. That has changed a lot now and airlines don't earn from me as they used to So, for me, long-term, even more expensive ebook is saving of money and space.
Plus I get to carry as many books for my holidays and choose then and there

I agree totally. I no longer by a physical book only ebooks. I have also bought many authors I would not have tried when their books are cheap. I will pay according to how badly I want to read the book right away. For example 12 of Never by James Patterson is 14.99 right now. If I want to read it right away I will pay that or I will wait for it to come out in pbook and go down in price if I am not in a hurry to read it.
Marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #63
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
I would not buy an ebook at the same pricing as printed book.

It doesn't make sense why an ebook cost as much as a printed book.

With a printed book, there are costs to print and assemble the book together.

An ebook have none of these costs involved.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #64
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Amazon must be smoking something...I mean MORE than usual!

I was just looking up a book and the ebook price was $11...but it has a new HARDCOVER for $7 (fulfilled by amazon)

I might be willing to pay $7 for a book...maybe...but it is not one of those collectable author's/series that is worth my valuable wall space. I am certainly not going to pay $11 for it....so....another lost sale. Sucks for the author because I usually enjoy her books.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #65
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Amazon must be smoking something...I mean MORE than usual!

I was just looking up a book and the ebook price was $11...but it has a new HARDCOVER for $7 (fulfilled by amazon)

I might be willing to pay $7 for a book...maybe...but it is not one of those collectable author's/series that is worth my valuable wall space. I am certainly not going to pay $11 for it....so....another lost sale. Sucks for the author because I usually enjoy her books.
Just curious, but was it Amazon pricing both or was the eBook priced by the publisher? I've seen discrepancies like that when the hardcover is a remaindered copy, but not normally.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #66
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Just curious, but was it Amazon pricing both or was the eBook priced by the publisher? I've seen discrepancies like that when the hardcover is a remaindered copy, but not normally.
??

The ebook price was for the kindle version, I assume that was amazon price.

The hardcover was fulfilled by amazon, I assumed that is also amazon's price.

I didn't see anything stating that the price had been set by the publisher, only that it was being sold WITHOUT DRM at the request of the publisher.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #67
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
so....another lost sale. Sucks for the author because I usually enjoy her books.
It could very well come down in price, and you might buy it then. It's not a lost sale until the item is undesirable at any price.

I often wait for prices to come down, I have a huge wishlist on ereaderiq for that very reason. I buy a couple of ebooks every week based on emails from ereaderiq that the price has dropped into my purchase range.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #68
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Ah but the candy bar has to travel through the physical world before you purchase it as well. It goes from the factory, to a warehouse, to another warehouse, to the store where you buy it. Ebooks can go directly from publisher (especially if self-published) to the buying public. Plus the publisher doesn't have to worry about losing money spent on paper & ink if they offer the book either free or at a reduced price during a sale. If it costs 30 cents to make a candy bar and the bar normally costs 45 cents to buy the candy maker makes 15 cents profit. If they offered a sale that had that candy bar only costing the buyer 20 cents then the candy maker would lose 25 cents rather than making 15 cents profit. Ebooks cost less to produce than pbooks I'd think because it's just a matter of formatting and spell checking one copy that is copied each time someone buys that particular title. There is no additional cost in printing new copies, no cost in buying paper or ink. No additional cost in storage for the multiple copies before the bookstores purchase them or cost in gas or other fuel in transporting those copies from the warehouse. It's all electronic.
That's all about costs. I don't care what it costs to make I only care whether the end result is something I want and I measure how much I want it by how much I'm willing to spend.

If someone can offer the same, or similar, item for less then obviously I'll go for the cheaper option - all other things being equal. That's where costs come in to it. But unless I am going into business myself they are only indirectly of interest to me.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #69
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
??

I didn't see anything stating that the price had been set by the publisher, only that it was being sold WITHOUT DRM at the request of the publisher.
What does "fulfilled by Amazon" mean?

Was it the price for a new hardcover? What title was it?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #70
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
??

If it had that tag about DRM I assume it was a TOR book? In that case it's not agency priced, but $7 for a HC sounds like a remaindered book. I don't think we'll ever see any kind of pricing match to limited quantity closeout type situations.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #71
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
Regarding the whole ebook vs. reader thought (not just this comment) and where the value lies:

In the end, without some sort of reader to read the file on, isn't the ebook valueless? So, does that mean ebooks should cost nothing and readers be much, much more expensive?

I don't think so, but that seems to be where this thought leads.
No I don't think it follows. The fact is that you need both an ereader and an ebook together to be an alternative to a paper book. So your argument goes both ways - an ebook is without value without a reader but a reader is without value without an ebook. By that logic maybe the reader should be free.

Of course there are both free ebooks and free readers (in the form of reading apps). So there are a range of ways the cost of reader+ebook could play out. But I don't think that's really relevant to my argument because in the end it comes down to a choice:

Do I want to buy a) this ebook or b) this paper book? Assuming it's the same book (which is reasonable) and assuming I've got some kind of reader (or I wouldn't be considering the ebook as an option) then the ebook offers me certain features for this particular text by virtue of being an ebook. So again, whether I choose to pay the asking price comes down to whether I think those features have enough value to justify it.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #72
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I don't particularly care about DRM as long as I can read a book on all of my devices, what I care about is content! Secondarily to that I care about having that content available wherever I am, and the ability to store it without filling my house with bookcases.

As such, I don't buy pbooks unless that content is not available in any other form, and then only after much thought about need (desire) for the content as opposed to the bulk of paper and inconvenience inherent in that bulk. So it is really immaterial to me what a hard cover or paperback costs, only what the value of the content is.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #73
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post

I'm not exactly sure, but I thought that it means that it comes from amazon's warehouse...don't know how all that works.
Yes, new Hardcover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
If it had that tag about DRM I assume it was a TOR book? In that case it's not agency priced, but $7 for a HC sounds like a remaindered book. I don't think we'll ever see any kind of pricing match to limited quantity closeout type situations.
Yes, TOR. That may be possible that it is a remaindered, but it was published in Feb 2013 so it would be surprising.

I would think that Amazon, or any retailer, would have a policy that an ebook would never be priced more than the paper version. They should also have the computer algorithm to prevent it from happening.

It seems an ebook would never cost more to produce than a pbook, so the cost of the actual printing/distribution should be removed from the cost of the pbook to determine ebook pricing.
Quote:
eg
a hardcover costs $5 to print and distribute.
a paperback of the same book costs $3.50 to print and distribute

the retail price for the hardcover is $15
the retail price for the paperback is $9.95

The price of the ebook should be the lesser of the two prices minus costs:
hardcover: $15 - $5 = $10
paperback: $9.95 - $3.50 = $6.45
ebook = $6.45

I would also give a price break if the publisher insists on including DRM...I mean, I should get compensated for the work I have to do to remove the DRM, right?!?!

ebook with DRM: $6.45 - $5 = $1.45
That would still allow everyone that actually has something to do with producing the book to get paid for what they do. The author, editor, publisher gets paid for all the books sold. The printer and distribution network would get paid for the books they print and distribute. The costumer is happy because they pay a fair price for the product they choose to purchase.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #74
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post

Fulfilled by Amazon means a third party sale where Amazon stores and delivers stock for an independent seller not a book sold/provided by Amazon.

It also means that the hardcover mentioned could be new/remaindered/secondhand - that's why Amazon have things like "New," "Used - Good" etc listed for books.

Last edited by elcreative; 04-30-2013 at 07:15 PM.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #75
ketsa
ketsa has never been to obedience school.ketsa has never been to obedience school.ketsa has never been to obedience school.ketsa has never been to obedience school.ketsa has never been to obedience school.ketsa has never been to obedience school.ketsa has never been to obedience school.ketsa has never been to obedience school.ketsa has never been to obedience school.ketsa has never been to obedience school.ketsa has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Glo
Neither
The cheaper ebook, or I'll get it another way.
ketsa is offline   Reply With Quote