Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
ernietd
ernietd began at the beginning.

Device: none
sony 900 questions

I am a very happy with my Kindle 2, but looking around for another device for when (if) my library offers Overdrive e books.

I love that you can handwrite notes on the Sony 900, but worry about the glare.

I worry about the quality of Sony in general. It seems there are a lot of complaints on this board, but I know people complain a lot and don't say anything when they are happy.

Is there a daytimer or any generic planner for the Sony? I went to the Sony store and didn't see one. If there were and it seems with the note taking app it wouldn't be hard to do, I would run right out and get it.
ernietd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:09 AM   #2
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
No daytimer or generic planner from Sony.
Sony seldom ships firmware updates.
The glare sometimes is irritating.
But generally the PRS-900 is a good device.
Nevertheless there's IFA Berlin near (9 Sep.) where a lot of new devices will show up. May Sony show a PRS-950 as seen in the config.xml of the latest Sony Reader Library software.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
jcatl
Enthusiast
jcatl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
I have a PRS-900 - not a fan of the touchscreen or the glare, or Sony's sub-par bookstore (compared to Amazon or B&N). It's too bad because the other qualities of the device are great, but really on an e-ink device the screen is where "the rubber meets the road" so to speak, and so if that isn't up to par then the rest doesn't matter. I'm awaiting enough feedback on the K3 and will then probably make the switch.

I understand that Sony will soon release new touchscreen e-readers with a better screen so I'd definitely steer clear of the 600 or 900 and await the newer models.
jcatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
Personally I have no issues witht he 900, I had the 500 then 505 and even the Nook for 4 months. Can't compare the Kindle never had one. The 900 is my favorite device. I get my books from the Sony Store, Kobo, Borders, Books-A-Million, Feedbooks, Suvudo etc. anywhere that supports epub. I guess you can also break the DRM from B&N and purchase there.
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:44 AM   #5
Keef
Enthusiast
Keef began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Reader
I also have no issues with the 900 except in low lighting, but then again, you should not read in low light. Like I have said on previous threads, if you have an IPhone and focus on the glare, you will see it. Continue to focus on it and it will be annoying. Only once in a while the 900 glare is annoying so I tilt the reader slightly and it goes away. Out of all the E Readers out there, I still like the 900 the best which has a slight improvement over the 600 on a clearer screen. I have no problem at all with the Sony software and downloading books, and creating folders. I also go to Books on Board and some other places where I can download books for free. Dictionary is wonderful, and I usually get good AT&T service where ever I go.
Keef is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
Spankey
Spankey began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Nook
Sold my 900. The glare, grey background, and not great contrast just did not make it a pleasant experience. I replaced it with a Nook/iPad and much happier.
Spankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I love my 900 and the glare is pretty much a non issue. Like others keef said, a slight tilt an it goes away. The dictionary and the touch screen more than make up for it.

I have no issues with quality at all, in fact I think the physical quality of the reader is great. I'm not a fan of their library software, but with Calibre I don't have to be.

My biggest complaint, like SkyDream mentioned, is the lack of firmware updates. I'm happy that the device does exactly what I thought it would do, not so happy because it still does, only what I thought it would do. I didn't buy it expecting frequent updates but in comparing it with other readers and the fixes and new features that get added to them on a regular basis, I find Sony a bit behind the times.

When all is said and done though, I do love it, I'm glad I got it and use it all the time!!
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
alanmexico
alanmexico began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Edition
The Sony 900 is my first (and only) ereader. The feature that I really like is the touchscreen and the ability to turn the page with a flick of the finger. I can manage holding the device in one hand and turn pages with very little effort. I rarely use the buttons for that.

Glare/contrast is not an issue for me, but then again, I've never had another device to compare side by side.
alanmexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:10 PM   #9
cozworth
gadget crazy
cozworth began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505/900
I still like my 900 the best

Hello:

I have had a Sony 500, 505, 600, Cybook, Nokia 770, and ultimately my Sony 900. Out of all of them I still use the 505 and 900 regularly.

The 505 had what I consider the best screen of them all. The 600 had a good deal of glare. Though it was not as bad as the 700, which a friend of mine has. But it did bother me enough that I still preferred using the 505.

I bought a 900 as soon as it had the most recent price drop. The screen is noticeably better than the 600 (not as good as the 505). Plus I really like being able to download books direct from the Sony store - which I was not expecting to care about at all. If I want to buy a book on my lunch break I can without being tied to my computer. I guess that is part of the reason the Kindle has been so popular.

Also, the touch screenon the 900 really does work for me. For the most part I just use it to turn pages. For that it is great, but the stylus is sort of a waste of time. Using my finger is easier and I am less likely to loose it. I can hold the reader in either hand, change reading layout.....and button placement is not a concern.

I admit that I am tempted by the new Kindle with the low, low price but I don't think I would be happy being tied to the Kindle format.

The 900 is my preferred reader of choice. I leave the 505 upstairs for when I want to read before I go to bed, since I have a lighted cover for it. The 900 goes with me everywhere.

Having said all of that, I would still wait for the 950.
cozworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:15 PM   #10
dr_halex
dr_halex began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
The 900 is my first e-book reader device. I am really satisfied about it. This summer I usually read e-books under the sunlight with perfect quality and no glare.
I find very useful its dictionary.
Alessandro
dr_halex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:29 PM   #11
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
PRS-900 is a good device.
No doubt about that.
There are smaller issues but no device is perfect.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:44 PM   #12
ernietd
ernietd began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for all the responses. I will wait eagerly for the next iteration. It sure looks like a wonderful reader.
ernietd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:41 PM   #13
taildragger-j3
Writer AND Reader
taildragger-j3 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I've been using my 505 for a couple of years. Just went to the Sony website and they say the 900 is no longer available. Anyone know what's happening to it?
taildragger-j3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:16 PM   #14
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger-j3 View Post
I've been using my 505 for a couple of years. Just went to the Sony website and they say the 900 is no longer available. Anyone know what's happening to it?
No official word yet, but everything points to a model refresh coming up probably tomorrow.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:17 PM   #15
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
We'll likely know in a few days . PRS-300 is in the "notify when available" state with PRS-600 being the only one readily available.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote