Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
cletus
cletus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Is there a decent cover for the PRS-505?

I've gone through two covers now.

The first one came with the PRS-505. It lasted until I dropped it on the bus and it snapped the top bit of the plastic spine so the reader didn't stay in anymore.

At that point I bought a black cover. That one too died months ago again from issues with the spine. This time the little bits that hold it inside the cover snapped off. I've taped it down with adhesive tape ever since but that's beginning not to stick at all (and isn't doing any the lining any favours).

This is getting annoying. The spine seems to be the real weak point of this. Is there any cover from anyone that doesn't suck? I refuse to waste any more money on the Sony ones. I just want a non-flimsy cover. Nothing fancy. It just needs to not break so easily.
cletus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I love my M-Edge cover. They are discontinued, as is the 505, but I got mine from Amazon. It doesn't use the plastic doohickeys to hold it in, but has elastic which wraps around the corners.

http://www.amazon.com/M-edge-Genuine...2111196&sr=8-5
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
I've tried several covers for my 505, and finally found a combination that I like: the TuffLuv leather cover. It doesn't use the Sony clips, they feel unstable and the upper silver edge on my reader is coming loose from all the cover switching/stress. I then put my reader in the TuffLuv case into the BookArmor for safe transport in my purse (I've torn out the hard plastic in theback of the BookArmor to make the reader fit with it's cover on). And I use the light wedge part out of the Lighted Cover loose for reading in the dark, so no more clips breaking
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
I've tried several covers for my 505, and finally found a combination that I like: the TuffLuv leather cover. It doesn't use the Sony clips, they feel unstable and the upper silver edge on my reader is coming loose from all the cover switching/stress. I then put my reader in the TuffLuv case into the BookArmor for safe transport in my purse (I've torn out the hard plastic in theback of the BookArmor to make the reader fit with it's cover on). And I use the light wedge part out of the Lighted Cover loose for reading in the dark, so no more clips breaking
I'll second the TuffLuv nomination. I've had one for several months now and love it!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Pricey, but well made........

http://www.oberondesign.com/Sony.php
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Pricey, but well made........

http://www.oberondesign.com/Sony.php
I agree; I love mine!
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #7
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
+1 for the Tuff-Luv. I've had one on the 505 for over 18 months and just bought one for my 600.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:38 PM   #8
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Oh, I LOVE the look of the Oberon covers too, but too pricey. Plus I love that my M-Edge has 2 tiny pockets for my SD cards.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #9
psercki
psercki began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600 and nook
I have the M-Edge. You might be able to find it on Amazon, but you can find it also on M-Edge's website if Amazon has sold out. The M-Edge site is selling the the cover under the PRS-600 model but they state it will fit the PRS -505 also. My cover was bought as PRS-505 cover, but my new PRS 600 also fits in it, so it will work.
psercki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:09 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Tuff-Luv's leather flip top cover for the 505 (used to be called Easy i) is absolutely bloody wonderful. You hold the book in one hand with a finger or two slipped through the loop at the back and leaving the thumb free for page-turning, or you can prop it up, free-standing, if you read while you eat. It turns what was a gadget into something that looks, feels and even smells like the most beautifully covered hardback you ever held. All button functions are exposed and the cover is wonderfully soft to the touch, but sturdy. Can't recommend it highly enough. I think mine cost about thirty bucks -- best deal I ever made. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:18 PM   #11
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
Yet another vote for the tuff love - had mine for ~9 months and find it extremely good to use and reassuringly robust. Thought the original Sony cover really sucked.
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:46 PM   #12
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecE View Post
Thought the original Sony cover really sucked.
I'd have to agree with that assessment!

Sayhelllo
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:14 PM   #13
taildragger-j3
Writer AND Reader
taildragger-j3 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Here's the one I made from an "At A Glance" zippered notepad. I took out the pad, put self-stick velcro strips on the back of the reader and the inside of the case. I made this one for my old PRS-500 reader that didn't come with a case. I put my 505 in the same case when I got it at Christmas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0147.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	43405  
taildragger-j3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #14
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger-j3 View Post
Here's the one I made from an "At A Glance" zippered notepad. I took out the pad, put self-stick velcro strips on the back of the reader and the inside of the case. I made this one for my old PRS-500 reader that didn't come with a case. I put my 505 in the same case when I got it at Christmas
That's pretty cool.

I like the fact that you've got storage space in there for other things as well. I guess it would also look fairly innocuous to potential thieves too (no indication that there's a piece of covetable gadgetry in there when it's closed).
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:52 AM   #15
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
I just bought a used Dooney & Bourke leather cover for my Sony 505 here on Mobileread. It has that icky plastic hinge, but my plans for when it breaks is to just velcro the Sony into the cover. A lot of people who have the Oberon covers use velcro instead of the corners and it works fine. You might do that with your old Sony broken hinge covers. Cheap and you don't have to buy anything new.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote