Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #121
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
This week I received a Nook device in Spain with 1.2 firmware. After configuring my home wifi, I could register it in my existent B&N account. Then it downloaded and installed 1.3 firmware automatically.

I can do practically all with the Nook in Store/Daily (like receive samples) except purchase, that I have to do in my PC via AlwaysVPN. I can download the purchased book from Nook without problem.

I have a Spanish credit card but in B&N I've put my MyUS address in both card and home address.

Things I don't like of my Nook are I cannot search in my personal documents (then having more than 20/30 books seems impractical) and battery duration.
NookLibrary on softrooted nook makes life way easier for sideloaded content.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #122
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Quote:
Why would this be a reason to sell the Nook and buy the Kobo reader?
I sold my nook because of the default credit card problem. When my hubby forgot to make a payment on our card and unknown to me, the card was put on hold, B&N would not let me read books I had already paid for until I gave them a new credit card number, which I did, but then they charged me a fee to validate the new credit card! I sold my nook the next day. I will never buy a B&N book or ebook again.

AMAZON never treated me this way from the kindle1 to the kindle2. One time I hit the buy button by accident and AMAZON refunded my money for the book without question. If they ever go w/epub and allow me to read library books on the kindle, they would have my vote for the best service.

KOBO reader may have potential, but that remains to be seen. At least their ebooks are open to other readers.

Pei
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #123
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
I've softrooted it and I do not see any diference in my library when viewing via Home or NookLauncher... and it is installed because adb install nookLibrary.apk returns failire INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS...

Ooops, I had to install buttons before...

Last edited by rfog; 05-21-2010 at 11:20 AM.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #124
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
I sold my nook because of the default credit card problem. When my hubby forgot to make a payment on our card and unknown to me, the card was put on hold, B&N would not let me read books I had already paid for until I gave them a new credit card number, which I did, but then they charged me a fee to validate the new credit card! I sold my nook the next day. I will never buy a B&N book or ebook again.

AMAZON never treated me this way from the kindle1 to the kindle2. One time I hit the buy button by accident and AMAZON refunded my money for the book without question. If they ever go w/epub and allow me to read library books on the kindle, they would have my vote for the best service.

KOBO reader may have potential, but that remains to be seen. At least their ebooks are open to other readers.

Pei
Strange story. You can change the credit card yourself on your account page on the B&N website. There are no validation fees.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #125
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
It is a strange story, but true, and although it was only $1, it's not the amount but the fact that I was charged a fee. I probably would not have noticed the charge, but with that card, we get an email for every charge incurred at the time of the charge, so that is how I know it happened. They probably count on the fact that most people would not even notice the charge since it is such a small amount.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 01:26 AM   #126
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
It is a strange story, but true, and although it was only $1, it's not the amount but the fact that I was charged a fee. I probably would not have noticed the charge, but with that card, we get an email for every charge incurred at the time of the charge, so that is how I know it happened. They probably count on the fact that most people would not even notice the charge since it is such a small amount.
Just something to add to that about credit cards and charging. I am assuming they work the same way in the US as they do over here in the UK (although I'm actually in the US as I type this... so it's not really over here!).

For both credit and debit cards a retailer may or may not confirm authorisation of a purchase at point of sale. Some retailers for some cards may not do so if it's a small amount. However in the case of PayPal (and what B&N did for you) is in order to verify the credit card is real, and payments can go through on it, they will pass an authorisation on the card for one dollar. The only effect this has is that your card provider will reserve one dollar for this transaction, which B&N will let lapse, and not collect. By doing this, the only effect on the customer is the loss of one dollar of available credit, until the authorisation expires. I have made an assumption that B&N do not collect the $1, and that they simply authorise it.

Other times I've seen this done are when setting up a mobile phone contract, where payment is monthly, in arrears, the retailer will want to make sure that the payment details you have provided are "sound". Now appearing, especially at supermarkets, across the UK are automated petrol pumps (gas pumps), where you swipe the card before you fill the car. They'll authorise GBP1 and after you've filled the car they'll charge a different amount - the total you actually bought. It's not quite as safe for the retailer as charging the full amount, but it means they get to check you have the money before you start putting petrol in, and to be honest if the card will let GBP1 go through then the chances are it will also let GBP40 go through.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:23 AM   #127
nbarr
nbarr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I ended up choosing the Kindle over the nook, because it is not internationally available. B&N should change that.
nbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:31 AM   #128
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
B&N also charged me $1. But they gave it back after validating my card.

I can buy books from B&N shop easily. I use this VPN server: http://thefreevpn.com/ I don't enter my account info with VPN and since B&N doesn't want your credit card info every time, I am happy with it. No ads too. There is also Hotspot Shield I sometimes use. It's from a bigger and older company. Probably safer.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #129
kikok
kikok began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
They do indeed check the IP-address.
As I am interested in this reader I also tried the to buy a book.
First I tried the Fictionwise workaround. Using an USA address with my Dutch credit card. Indeed your order is canceled almost immediately.

Then I tried the same again, but this time I used my USA VPN account from www.alwaysvpn.com (just $8,50 for 5GB data). That way Barnes and Noble sees an USA IP-address.
Now I was able to buy and download the book without a problem!

I am interested in this reader, because I would be able to read books from Fictionwise, Barnes and Noble and from other ePub bookstores. I also like the colourscreen and WIFI. And best of all, even with shipping to the Netherlands, 19% VAT and import duty, it would still be a bit cheaper than the Sony 600 (Nook about E 265,00, Sony 600 E 300,00).

I wonder about the support of only English books. Is this just about the characterset that is supported? That would probably not be a problem for Dutch books. Or do they really check the language of the book (is that even possible)?
Thanks Geertm for your advice. I live in Bangkok, Thailand and bought ebook from B&N yesterday using non-usa credit card with usa shipping address and www.alwaysvpn.com without problems.
kikok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #130
Stensie4JC
Book Diva
Stensie4JC began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I didn't see it...

I am a US citizen living in China. I am interested in the Nook. (I looked at the international Kindle for a minute, but they don't service China.) I know a lot of the features will not be usable, but that is OK with me. What I am trying to find out is if there's a way to buy ebooks from BN and manually load them on the Nook. I know I can use sites like Fictionwise, but I'd like to be able to access BN since they sometimes have titles that the independent sites don't, and their prices are lower. Does anyone know if the ONLY way to add a book to the nook is via wireless?
Stensie4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #131
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stensie4JC View Post
I am a US citizen living in China. I am interested in the Nook. (I looked at the international Kindle for a minute, but they don't service China.) I know a lot of the features will not be usable, but that is OK with me. What I am trying to find out is if there's a way to buy ebooks from BN and manually load them on the Nook. I know I can use sites like Fictionwise, but I'd like to be able to access BN since they sometimes have titles that the independent sites don't, and their prices are lower. Does anyone know if the ONLY way to add a book to the nook is via wireless?
You can use the USB connection to put books on the Nook and also the Wifi connection for books bought from B&N.
If you want to buy books from the B&N store you need to buy them on the PC, using a USA VPN or Proxy server to supply you with an USA ip-address.
If you have a Wifi connection you can download to books on your Nook using Wifi. Otherwise you can download the books on your PC and transfer them to the Nook using the USB connection.

With the Kindle it is also possible to download the books from the Amazon website and use USB to put them on the Kindle.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:30 PM   #132
Stensie4JC
Book Diva
Stensie4JC began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Thank you!
Stensie4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:47 PM   #133
zzzxtreme
zzzxtreme began at the beginning.

Device: nook
well good news, the Nook Wifi version ships internationally now
zzzxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:09 AM   #134
firefox
MR Gen Z Representative
firefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enough

Device: Barnes & Noble NOOKclassic
Internationally as in where?
And where did you find this?
firefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:30 AM   #135
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Spain, at least. You can find it trying to purchase it at B&N
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b&n, barnes and noble, international, nook, overseas