Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-14-2009, 04:13 AM   #1
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Calibre Windows Development

I'm trying to set up a development environment for Calibre in Windows XP. I'm currently stuck on step 7 (Qt).

The link on the wiki sent me to page requiring a username and password. When I checked the download section, all the Windows related files were .exe and I have no idea which one to install now... Help please?

Thanks!
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:05 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It appears that trolltech have changed the layout of their web site. You need the source package - I have updated the link to point to the ZIP file that needs downloading.

This is now for version 4.5 of Qt, and the last time I tried it was with v4.4, so I do not know if their are any changes needed to the instructions as a consequence.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
there are various issues with Qt 4.5 (notably with the ebook-viewer, but the main calibre GUI should work fine)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay. Thanks for the heads up.

Just needed it for testing the server.py portion anyway.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If all you want to do is play with a single module, you dont need the full development environment, just use the following command

Code:
calibre-debug --update-module calibre.library.server,server.py
Execute it in the same directory as your edited server.py
Advert
Old 03-15-2009, 02:42 AM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Thanks for the tip! I'm definitely going this route.

It's my second try (from scratch) on setting up a development environment and so far, still no luck. On both tries, it complained "pylupdate4 and pyrcc4 will not be built because the Qt XML module is missing" but a check of the directories showed QtXML4.dll, etc exist. Finally tried using a binary of PyQt4 and that seemed to install fine so I edited the PyQtconfig.py to point to the directories I'm using. When I tried to setup Calibre, though, got the error "cannot import name msvc9compiler". Oh well...

It's really cool the debug option will let you change modules on the fly. Thanks again, kovid!
Old 03-15-2009, 04:05 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Part of the reason one tends to need to build Qt from source is that Calibre now assumes any C components are built using Visual C++ 2008 (which uses msvc10). Many of the binary installs will not make this assumption.

I built myself a Windows development environment some months ago, and quite a few issues came up which resulted in updates to the wiki article. I did it using VMWare to avoid polluting my normal production PC with lots of development tools. Over the next few days I will try setting up a Windows development environment from scratch again and update the instructions with anything that comes up.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:16 AM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

itimpi!
Old 07-12-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
I was having the same problem, with the error message "pylupdate4 and pyrcc4 will not be built because the Qt XML module is missing" coming up when I tried to build PyQt, even though QtXml.dll existed. I fixed it by adding -e QtXml to the "python configure.py..." line for PyQt.
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:09 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre itself doesn't require the XML module, which is why it's missing from the instructions