Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
mcoleman
mcoleman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Looking for help in developing workflow, css, InDesign template

I found this forum while looking for information on exporting from InDesign to the epub format. I work for a nonprofit education organization, and we're looking to convert some of our coursebooks. Does anybody here have expertise in this area?
mcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
Aerys
Connoisseur
Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.

Device: iPad 2 & Nexus 7
You might want to check Liz Castro's EPUB Straight to the Point and From Indesign CS5.5 to EPUB and Kindle books.

Are you looking to do it yourself or having it done professionally? There are many professional formatters here in the forums.
Aerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
mcoleman
mcoleman began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm hoping to hire somebody to do it right. I feel like I could muddle through it myself, but it wouldn't be very durable. We've got about 20 courses we'd eventually like to convert, so the template and workflow will need to be tight.

Currently, the books are either in InDesign, or in Quark in the process of being converted to InDesign. We'd like the same InDesign file to produce two print documents (additional instructor content on a separate layer) and two .epub files. The books have the regular text flow, with images, plus icons in the margins. Some words are bold and have definitions associated with them in a glossary.

One of the unique things about this project is that I actually have a budget, so yes, I'd love to hear from interested professionals.
mcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Are the InDesign files styled exactly the same throughout the 20 books (using the same classes consistently throughout the works)?

If so, you could come up with a set of Regex to help clean up a lot of the code. Then you can have a single consistent CSS file which can be used in all 20.

This is what I did at work for one of our quarterly journals, and now hours of editing has been wittled down to clicking a button to run a set of Regex in Sigil.

Most of the time is then spent:
  • Coming up with the universal CSS file.
    • Trying to emulate the look of the original document while sticking with maximum compatibility with most devices.
  • Cleaning up code that the regex missed.
    • Adjusting regex so conversion of future journals will be even faster. (This is VERY dependent on the original designer being consistent with their style usage).
  • Fixing/regenerating images.
  • Checking on an actual ereader.

If you want to send me a sample or two of an InDesign EPUB + original document (PDF?), I wouldn't mind taking a look.

My Background: I work for a non-profit economics site, most of my work is going from PDF scans -> EPUB, and I have completed 150+ books so far. I do not have any experience with Quark output (doesn't hurt messing with something new), and I have a tiny bit of experience with output directly from InDesign.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 07-24-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
css, education, epub, indesign cs6