Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #151
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Ok, here's one for you guys. Just to give you an idea of just how popular and prevalent this genre is right now, I was watching an episode of Transformers Prime and discovered that the main enemy was....get this....undead robots. hahahaha!
where's that negative karma button when you need it!

Last edited by kennyc; 04-18-2012 at 07:40 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #152
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Undead robots... nice... now I will have to hop on Netflix and see if I can find those episodes to see how they explain that LOL
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #153
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
RAM... must eat RAM...
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #154
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
RAM... must eat RAM...

Hmm... ram is just memory though, the "thinking" is in the processor. Do the zombies need memory or thinking?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #155
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Undead robots? You will be assimilated.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2012, 11:49 PM   #156
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Hmm... ram is just memory though, the "thinking" is in the processor. Do the zombies need memory or thinking?
Well, by the time you open up someone's head and start eating their brains, they're neither thinking nor remembering much ... so an equivalent meal for an undead robot is probably going down to the beach and eating sand.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #157
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Sorry to kick the corpse again, but another little factoid came up recently as I was doing more of my digging that I think is quite interesting. In a normal military situation, especially one with limited resources, it is a well followed and unwritten law that if an enemy goes down, you strip the body of anything valuable including ammo, food, guns, etc. That's been an unwritten rule of warfare for ages. In a disaster survival situation exactly the same rule would apply. Especially if you're short on supplies. If you get attacked and drop the guy, frisk him and take anything valuable. If you find an abandoned house, search it for resources. Even if it's already been ransacked, someone might have left something behind that was of no use to them, but is to you.

Yet the odd thing is, I don't see many (actually, I only know of two books, and a few movies) books or movies where that's covered. They did it a little bit in Battlefield LA when they rallied at the busted up Marine base, and I know of one book off the top of my head where the guys were knocking down baddies and ransacking the corpses for ammo and supplies. In situations like that, the more you can salvage or scavenge, the better off your changes are.

Anywho, that came up recently so I wanted to toss that out there. On a side thought, it would be interesting if a real situation like that came up to see how many people actually did that, and what kinds of things they might find. For example, you run onto a dead person and all they have is a half full lighter. To the average person that looks like junk. To me it looks like an additional way to start a fire for cooking and warmth. (well, assuming it still works. lol.)

Yes, I admit that the thought of what you'd be doing is a bit morbid, and there's almost certainly some moral issues you'd have to deal with, but if it's a choice between ransacking a dead body in order to acquire supplies, or adding yourself to the body count, option one is always the best choice.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #158
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Yet the odd thing is, I don't see many (actually, I only know of two books, and a few movies) books or movies where that's covered.
Obviously there were no D&D players involved in creating those movies or books. Everyone knows the first thing you do after you've made sure your allies are still standing, is to loot all corpses within reach.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #159
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Obviously there were no D&D players involved in creating those movies or books. Everyone knows the first thing you do after you've made sure your allies are still standing, is to loot all corpses within reach.

Dunno if it is sad or funny, but I was thinking the same thing... MY LOOT!!!!

Though... waiting to see if allies were standing was very optional depending on the potential for value in the loot.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #160
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Though... waiting to see if allies were standing was very optional depending on the potential for value in the loot.
In my case, the allies were always the cleric and the paladin. It's in your best interest to make sure the healers are alive
Old 04-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #161
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

lol. Well, we know that games would immediately loot the bodies. That's a standard practice in the industry. Now normal people? Eh, that's a whole other story. Oddly enough, I can just imagine some gaming geeks coming up on a body shouting "LOOT!" or as they say in PC gaming, "WOOT!"
Old 04-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #162
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Oddly enough, I can just imagine some gaming geeks coming up on a body shouting "LOOT!" or as they say in PC gaming, "WOOT!"
Followed by a heated argument about how you just broke the rules for splitting the loot that everyone in the group agreed on before the raid started, but no one remembered to write down. And the raid leader forgot to actually set the rules script-wise, and now we're all fighting each other over that one unique epic item that none of us actually can use...

And now I have MMO-withdrawal...
Old 04-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #163
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I never played MMOs. I was limited to the tabletop games where after looting the bodies, you checked for hidden drawers in all the cabinets (have the elf check again, in case the first scout missed something) and then disassembled the tables to look for scrolls documents in a hollow leg.

When the gamers are done looting a room, there's nothing left but the walls... which are a lot thinner if they were covered with anything valuable or potentially useful.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #164
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I never played MMOs. I was limited to the tabletop games where after looting the bodies, you checked for hidden drawers in all the cabinets (have the elf check again, in case the first scout missed something) and then disassembled the tables to look for scrolls documents in a hollow leg.

When the gamers are done looting a room, there's nothing left but the walls... which are a lot thinner if they were covered with anything valuable or potentially useful.
Well, the walls usually are not quite as sturdy either. Its usually the dwarf's job to check for hidden wall safes

Ive played a lot of both.. and the old rule of "if you can pick it up, you need it" pretty much applies universally to almost any game I have been in.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #165
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Quote:
Ive played a lot of both.. and the old rule of "if you can pick it up, you need it" pretty much applies universally to almost any game I have been in.
Oddly enough, that rule pretty much applies anywhere survival is involved. :P "If it ain't nailed down, grab it." lol.