Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-04-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
cfw123
Enthusiast
cfw123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm a new Kindle user

UPS tells me my Kindle will arrive sometime today, so I'm stuck at home since I don't want to miss delivery. I ordered it right after seeing the PBS interview of Charlie Rose with the President of Amazon.

This is my first time on this forum, and I realise that the Kindle is new to all of us. But I would like to see the Kindle format added to those who upload ebooks -- but maybe it will work by itself, and only needs to be called it.

But seeing so many different formats, makes me realize how dependent we all are to a standard so we can share ebooks better. Does anyone have a program which can do format conversions between the various types? I'm sure that there is not a big difference between them, and the Kindle for example is very flexible even taking PDFs although you wouldn't like what it comes out to be. Probably any text with word wrap would work, but graphics are another story. The Kindle has 600x800 with 4 shades of grey.

Incidentally, I really understand that the Kindle is strictly version 1 of what is to come. I didn't buy it thinking it was version "n" of some future date. But what really sold me was the opportunity to publish ebooks of my choice -- something that is impossible to get with a hard book publisher. I also like the fact that I will end up with money if anyone buys one, but that's not the main reason. I will initially be publishing some 7 or 8 books I wrote -- one of which dates back to 1950 (Japanese Chess) and another to 1952 (Chinese Chess), plus others. I have always enjoyed writing, but hated not being published.

Question: How does one obtain a copyright on a Kindle or other ebook publication? I know about showing the copyright message, but how does one send a copy to the Library of Congress, and get an LC number in the process. Or can an LC number be obtained in advance provided you can define the details needed to properly code the LC number.

Charles Wilkes, cfw123@gmail.com or respond to this forum entry.
San Jose, Calif.
cfw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, cfw123!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfw123 View Post
But I would like to see the Kindle format added to those who upload ebooks -- but maybe it will work by itself, and only needs to be called it.
The Kindle will open/use the Mobipocket books that you find here just fine, since they don't have any DRM on them. That applies to other sites as well -- non-DRM mobi files should work just fine. Opens up new possibilities, dunnit?

I'm afraid I have no idea how to apply for a copyright, but it should be the same for an e-book (of any format) as it is for a paper book. We do count several authors in our number who probably can answer that question for you.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Welcome to the Forum

Hope to get a Sony early next year.

Last edited by MickeyC; 12-06-2007 at 01:30 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:57 AM   #4
cfw123
Enthusiast
cfw123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I did get my Kindle yesterday, and it is wonderful. Only problem are the edge buttons for changing pages. I'm going to glue the page forward only button on the right with epoxy glue. The small page back button on the right doesn't bother me, and since I use it in the Book Cover, buttons on the left don't bother me either. But I'm going to use velcrow to keep the unit in the book cover so it won't fall out by accident.

Also I checked on the copyright law. They are accepting beta testors for a system of submitting the text in digital form, which reduces the cost from $45 to $35. After I do one, I'll report back how it worked. Charles Wilkes San Jose, Calif.
cfw123 is offline   Reply With Quote