Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
ddjohn
Enthusiast
ddjohn began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX; Pandigital-7W
Managing Custom Columns

When adding a "Custom Column" to your library, you create a database field. But what if you made a mistake and don't realize it until after you hit "Apply" and restart Calibre?

I did this. The type of column I added doesn't perform the way I thought it would (newbie mistake). There is no data in this field, and I know I don't have to display or use the field. But is there some method for fixing mistakes like this?

Being able to change the names would be a nice way to recycle the column. Being able to change the type of field this is would probably be impossible. But if you have a totally empty field, getting rid of it completely would be a nice do-over option. Any choices available for fixing these mistakes, other than creating a new library and copying all my books to the "improved" version?
ddjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can remove custom columns by clicking the button with the red minus in the add your own column preferences section
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddjohn View Post
When adding a "Custom Column" to your library, you create a database field. But what if you made a mistake and don't realize it until after you hit "Apply" and restart Calibre?

I did this. The type of column I added doesn't perform the way I thought it would (newbie mistake). There is no data in this field, and I know I don't have to display or use the field. But is there some method for fixing mistakes like this?

Being able to change the names would be a nice way to recycle the column. Being able to change the type of field this is would probably be impossible. But if you have a totally empty field, getting rid of it completely would be a nice do-over option. Any choices available for fixing these mistakes, other than creating a new library and copying all my books to the "improved" version?
In Custom column, click your mis-named/typed column and see that blue i ?
Click and fix
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
ddjohn
Enthusiast
ddjohn began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX; Pandigital-7W
To create a custom column I was right clicking on the column headers. That area says "edit" but there are no edit options that I could figure out. Then after reading these responses, I found my way to the menu option "Preferences/Interface". Once I was there, I discovered the editing functions. Hip Hip Hurray! This is a VERY powerful software. Was able to fix my newbie mistakes quite easily and even experimented with many types of columns. Many thanks.
ddjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom column, mistakes