Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Kobo Touch?
Yep, I'm happy with my purchase. 128 79.50%
No way! I want another eReader. 3 1.86%
I will be with the right firmware update(s). 30 18.63%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #76
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I'd be keen to know whether those (approximately 18%) who indicated that they would be happy with the right firmware update now consider that 1.9.11 did enough to make them happy?
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #77
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
I'd be keen to know whether those (approximately 18%) who indicated that they would be happy with the right firmware update now consider that 1.9.11 did enough to make them happy?
Bookmarks man... I know lots of people were waiting for the search function, and I'm happy for them. But a device specially made to read books... needs bookmarks

Though I'm happy most of the bugs seem to be squashed.
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:32 AM   #78
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
I voted the "with the right firmware" option.
Since I have updated to 1.9.11 I've had no problems at all (so far).
I'm 90% happy with what my KT does atm.
Once I have the following features, I'll be 100% happy.

1: Multiple bookmarks per book.
2: Custom categories, libraries viewable on the KT itself.

I might not bother updating at all once I have those features, unless there was something special I thought would be good to have.
Or alternatively I would run future updates if stability issues became apparent again with the current Firmware (I noticed some people are having issues with the current firmware).
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #79
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I also voted "With the right firmware update".
So far, I am happiest with 1.9.11

This appears to be my perfect set up for portable e-reader yet.
I love being able to search for any book in my library, and being able to search within an open book.

I have seen other people indicate certain problems with SD card issues and other buggy behaviour - and I have not experienced them. I am not a technical enough person to know why this is so.

I think the KT will have reached perfection when we can name our own book categories and arrange libraries to our wishes. Also putting in the page number as opposed to my clutzy fingers sliding on the slide bar would be helpful.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #80
Ham Cannon
Enthusiast
Ham Cannon doesn't litterHam Cannon doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony Reader 505, Kobo Touch, iPad 1, iPhone 4
I voted "with the right firmware update." As far as I'm concerned, the Touch needs only 3 fixes to be the perfect reader: multiple bookmarks per book, the ability to sort books into categories/folders, and most of all, FUNCTIONAL AND SEAMLESS page and bookmark syncing with iOS devices.
Ham Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #81
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The search function can also use lots of work.. People are so excited to see it finally here.... probably the only text search ever that doesn't have 'find next' or 'find previous.' No matter where you are in a codex, the search will only pull up a list of the first 100 instances of your term in the the book.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #82
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
The search function can also use lots of work.. People are so excited to see it finally here.... probably the only text search ever that doesn't have 'find next' or 'find previous.' No matter where you are in a codex, the search will only pull up a list of the first 100 instances of your term in the the book.
We do have a find next / previous. There are arrows at the bottom of the screen when you search.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #83
rashkae
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
We do have a find next / previous. There are arrows at the bottom of the screen when you search.
I'm sorry. I wasn't being clear. (well, actually, conveniently forgot the details). You can only scan within the first 100 instances of your search term from the start of the book, no matter where in the book you were when you initiated the search. Trying to find next past that point takes you back to the beginning. You can't search forward or backwards from your current position.

Edit: Still, my tone was unintentionally negative. It can be a very useful feature, I'm sure, and a huge improvement for Kobo reader software in general.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:07 PM   #84
Cottser
Enthusiast
Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
I was all set to come here and post how happy I was with the search functionality, but the limit of 100 results gives me pause. I'll have to see how it stacks up after some practical usage. Happy to see the cut off text fixed in 1.9.11.
Cottser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #85
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottser View Post
I was all set to come here and post how happy I was with the search functionality, but the limit of 100 results gives me pause. I'll have to see how it stacks up after some practical usage. Happy to see the cut off text fixed in 1.9.11.
Looking at this limitation and seeing if we can improve it without hurting performance. I'm sure we can. Stay tuned.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:10 AM   #86
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Looking at this limitation and seeing if we can improve it without hurting performance. I'm sure we can. Stay tuned.
Given that there are only 6 results on a page (at least for the tests I did just now), all increasing the limit would do is increase the number of pages you have to slowly go through to find the exact reference you're looking for (and, frankly, if your search is so broad that you need more than 100 results, it should probably be narrowed ).

Perhaps a better solution would be three radio buttons: Search Entire Book, Search To Current Page, Search From Current Page (to end). [Searches also need page numbers attached to the listing so you can see where they actually are, and being able to delete old searches would be nice as well]
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #87
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm pleased enough to have bought another one just this weekend for the wife.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #88
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
you know, I'm pretty impressed. Despite the fact that Forums usually draw out people who have problems more than anything, only 2% are actually unhappy with their device to the point they'd want to drop it. That's not bad at all.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #89
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are a couple of bugs that really annoyed me, or a couple of missing features made me question why not... but I have experience in programming. I know that things become more and more complicated every day, and, as a result, it becomes almost impossible to be bug free, especially when new features are being added.
So for me, a big chunk of satisfaction of a product like this is based on how the company supports the device after releasing it. The devs are there to listen to the owners, the bugs get fixed, new features get coded, and the hardware is pretty good, so even if there are things that bug me, I'm still happy.
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #90
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
I used to be fairly happy until 1.9.11, but now since it's pretty well borked(not seeing new content), it's pretty much made my KT useless.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote