Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #136
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
But downloading to shelf column shelves from goodreads works fine. Just the tag column remains empty, unless I read from metadata from the book itself. If this should go to metadata plug in, I am sorry but I am a little lost now about what goes where
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #137
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noughty View Post
Yes it is comma separated text like tags and it is displayed correctly.
It doesn't seem to download any tags . Tried over 30 books, still nothing.
Ok, I really can't do much when you only drip-feed me little bits of information

Rather than spend days more wondering and to-froing over this, please do the following for me:
1. Zip up your metadata.db for your library, and your Goodreads Sync.json files (the latter is in your plugins folder).
2. PM me a link to where I can download them from (it is just your database, not the books themselves).
3. Include in that PM some details of the books in your library you are trying to download tags for that are not working.

If you can do that, hopefully I can find out (with chaley's help) what is going on with your custom column, and any issues you are having with goodreads sync. I've been using the download tags stuff just a few hours ago to try to replicate your issue and it was working fine for me. That is not to say there is not a bug because there possibly is, but without your database I can't replicate it.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #138
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But downloading to shelf column shelves from goodreads works fine. Just the tag column remains empty, unless I read from metadata from the book itself. If this should go to metadata plug in, I am sorry but I am a little lost now about what goes where
Right, so it isn't "Download shelves as tags" in this plugin you are now having problems with then by the sounds of it.

To try to answer your confusion:
- A metadata download plugin will only directly update the standard columns like you see in the edit metadata dialog - stuff like publisher, date, isbn, title/author (depending on your settings in Preferences) and tags if available.
- A metadata covers download plugin is responsible for the covers (funnily enough)
- Anything you do off the Goodreads Sync menu belongs to the Goodreads Sync plugin in this thread

So look at the action you are performing. If you are hitting Ctrl+D then this is the "Download metadata" menu in Calibre. Which runs the metadata download plugins, like "Goodreads metadata".

What you have described sounds like a problem with downloading metadata which is back on the other thread. But don't bother, I will take a look now. My other comments about sending your database still stand, it would help us solve the errors we see with your custom column you posted earlier.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #139
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.4.6 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Change the URL searched against as Goodreads have changed their website.

This should fix the "Search Goodreads.com" button which got broken by Goodreads changing their website (that had also happened to break the metadata/covers download plugins).
Old 04-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #140
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
This may be super obvious but how do I sync my ratings between Calibre and Goodreads?
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:51 AM   #141
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
This may be super obvious but how do I sync my ratings between Calibre and Goodreads?
Right now you cant do that. There are some discussions about this starting here
Old 04-14-2011, 03:39 AM   #142
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Everything seems to be working now after the updates . Tags get downloaded. Thanks for the work you do
Old 04-14-2011, 04:09 AM   #143
Noughty
Addict

Wanted to ask about uploading tags as shelves. Apparently, since I have a custom column Shelf for goodreads shelves, when I do upload "TAGS" as shelves it uploads from "Shelf" (which were already downloaded from goodreads), so basically nothing happens. How to make it to upload from tags column and not from shelves?
I tested and it does upload ok, the shelves on goodreads get changed, just from the wrong column.

I found you can choose tags or shelf column, but that changes where the shelves get downloaded too. And I want shelves to go to "Shelf" then downloading, then uploading I want it to look from "tags"

Last edited by Noughty; 04-14-2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:23 AM   #144
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Noughty - you can't do that. You must specify only one column in Calibre to represent your Goodreads shelves - either a custom column, or a tags column. Once you have made this choice, you can then sync the two together by either modifying the value in that column and choosing upload, or modifying your shelves on Goodreads and choosing download.

BTW if you are still seeing those messages you reported earlier from debug mode of "get_categories: xxx not in list" etc I will still need you to do what I requested previously of uploading your metadata.db to somewhere I can take a look. I'm glad all your other search/tag download issues are resolved.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:33 AM   #145
Noughty
Addict

Ok, that works too. Just tried it. I just wanted to ask if you can add two calibre tags to one shelf in tags mapping?
For example
Goodreads I Calibre
Historical I Historical, history

Is it possible and how to add two tags? Using comma or something specific?
Old 04-14-2011, 04:57 AM   #146
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

In the edit shelf/tag mappings dialog you will see that it is just the same as a tags field in the gui - comma separated values allowing you to select from all the known values in that column. So absolutely you could map a goodreads shelf name of "paranormal-romance" to two Calibre tags of "Paranormal, Romance" if you so chose.

Note that the exact same mapping is applied in reverse if you choose upload. So if your book has tags of "Paranormal, Romance", it would be put on the "paranormal-romance" shelf.

Note that if you also have mappings in place for a "paranormal" Goodreads shelf to map to a "Paranormal" tag in Calibre, then choosing upload will put this book on your "paranormal" shelf too, since it is a subset of the tags that is found.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #147
kenr276
Enthusiast
kenr276 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Question

Can anybody tell me how to create a custom column for DTB (Empty Books) I have on Goodreads?
kenr276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #148
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr276 View Post
Can anybody tell me how to create a custom column for DTB (Empty Books) I have on Goodreads?
Could you clarify what it is you are trying to do here Ken? DTB = Digital Talking Books or something? Please give some more detail on what you have done and what you want to see. For instance are all your DTB books on a specific Goodreads shelf? You mention empty books - are you saying you have already created empty books for linking to that DTB shelf? You also mention a custom column - what are you wanting to do - set a Yes/No value for all those empty books or something else? You haven't given us much to go on...
Old 04-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #149
Noughty
Addict

Is it important if the tag, shelf starts with a capital letter or no? Are they considered separate? Like historical and Historical?
And if two books from calibre are linked to one on goodreads, how does the sync works? What if they have different tags for example?

How to make three calibre tags upload to one shelf? I wrote in mappings Contemporary, contemporary, Contemopary romance
I tried with commas and without still it doesn't upload tags, only then where is one tag for one shelf. I think I just add them wrong...

Last edited by Noughty; 04-14-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #150
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Is it important if the tag, shelf starts with a capital letter or no? Are they considered separate? Like historical and Historical?
AFIAK unless they have changed things recently shelf names used to only be lowercase with spaces replaced by - signs on Goodreads. As for tags, you can use whatever casing you like. So if you want them to be the same then go for it - I prefer Propercase myself and it just makes describing an example easier.
Quote:
And if two books from calibre are linked to one on goodreads, how does the sync works? What if they have different tags for example?
Depends on the action you do in the plugin. Some actions like Add to shelf will detect this and warn you about it and will unlink one of the Calibre books if you tried to add both at the same time.

If you do something like "Download tags", both books would get the same tags for that shelf. If you do "Upload tags", the second book will "win" in terms of which shelf it ends up on.

Basically have M:1 calibre books to a Goodreads book isn't a very good idea.

Tags
calibre, goodreads