Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-08-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
New feature: CHM and file launch support

Hey all, I use calibre to manage my general fiction and non-fiction library for anything I want to eventually put on my Sony Reader.

I got to thinking that the database functionality of calibre is excellent, along with searching and tagging, and that it would make a great generic ebook manager for books that we might not want to read on an external device.

In my case, I have over a hundred technical books in PDF and CHM format that I would never read on a device because they are complex and would look terrible on a small screen.

I was on the prowl looking for a decent ebook manager and I posted another thread here on MR: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33308

A recommendation was made to create a ticket to allow calibre to import CHM files. I'm wondering what else can be done to make calibre work in a more generic fashion, so as to make it usable as a comprehensive ebook manager.

At the very least, does anyone else have a need to manage CHM files in calibre?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You should be able to add any book type to calibre, including chm already.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
MovieHQ
MovieHQ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
You can add it but it would sure be nice if it could be converted.
MovieHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I just had a chance to play with this and it should work for what I want. There are two features that I would really like to see:

CHM metadata reading
Bookshelf browsing like Delicious Library.

Coverflow is sort of nice, but I'd rather see a nice grid of book covers. Thanks!
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote