Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-15-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
dcross9818
Enthusiast
dcross9818 doesn't litterdcross9818 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-350, Kobo Aura, Kindle PW2, Voyage (broke), Oasis
Kindle Voyage Broke, what to replace it with

Well due to a software fluke, my Voyage is no longer functioning. Tier 1 CS couldn't get it running again, I am waiting for a call from tier 2 in the next few days.
In the chance that it is shot, I need to pick a new reader. Amazon offered me 20% off a new reader, I'm just not sure if I should get the Oasis or another Voyage? I loved the Voyage, but I'm drawn towards the Oasis. Everything I read says it isn't worth the asking price, but a 20% makes it a little more reasonable.
I'm still hopeful that the can fix my current one, but I need something in case they can't (hell, even if they can, this is the second time it has happened, I think this is a lemon and I probably should trade it in.)
(The issue I'm having with the Voyage is unresponsiveness. The magnetic wake and the power button fail to respond to anything other that a hard reset. Once I get the unit actually on, it lags when I try to do anything. I tried a factory reset and it wouldn't boot back up. CS had me try a number of things with no luck. The unit now causes my PC to blue screen whenever I plug it in, the memory shows completely full even though there should be no content on it and when my PC does see it, it says it is corrupt and needs to be formatted.)
If I end up purchasing a new one, I am open to anything, even non-amazon readers.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
dcross9818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:07 PM   #2
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I was unfortunate enough (or in fairness perhaps careless enough) to damage my voyage. I left it between the car seat and the centre console and it became stuck. When trying to remove it I obviously flexed the screen too much, damaging the screen. I replaced it with an Oasis, which was a very pleasant surprise and I am very happy with it. If you want to go non-Amazon, the H2O is a beautiful ereader with much better font support than Amazon currently offers. I recommend either of these readers.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2016, 10:17 AM   #3
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
If it were me, I would replace with another Voyage.

I like the idea of the Oasis, except the price, but I really like the pressure sensitive "pagepress" buttons on the Voyage. Move those over to the Oasis and I'll buy it right away.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:59 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would wait until the Kobo Aura One is out. That's the 7.8" Reader. Then you can decide what you might want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:55 PM   #5
ArthurianLegends
Connoisseur
ArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle Touch (4rth Gen)
Although I still have my ol' PW, I don't know if I would go with an Oasis over a Voyage, as the devices I have seen in demo units and from friends show that there is a bit of a dip in screen quality in the Oasis. The fonts look almost greyish, but seem to be improved once the light is dimmed down on the device. The Voyage screen looks very nice (to me) even with the light setting on. But, if I were you, I would check a Voyage and an Oasis side by side (at store with demo units) and make sure that you have the same light setting, font etc..on each device to compare. Maybe the Oasis has improved since the first batch of production.
ArthurianLegends is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2016, 07:59 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
20 percent off? Are you sure you heard that correctly? They usually offer $20 or $30 off. If it was 20%, I'd go with an Oasis.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:45 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Also When they offer Discounts OFF for customer to Replace a Broken Item Customer HAS to Buy the Same Item! Which to you means another Voyage.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:28 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Also When they offer Discounts OFF for customer to Replace a Broken Item Customer HAS to Buy the Same Item! Which to you means another Voyage.
Proof of this. Were you on the phone with the OP and Amazon? Do you work customer service for Amazon?
If the answer is No, then you have no clue what they offered the OP.
When I called about my broken kindle they offered me $20 off any e-ink kindle.
So yes, they may have told you that you have to buy the same but that doesn't mean they tell everyone that.
Please do not start rumors or do scare mongering.

Note: The poster that said it must be the same has a history of problems with Amazon products.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:33 PM   #9
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Proof Read threads! When my PW2 broke after only 5 months of having it. I was told I could Only get PW2 Could Not up Grade to PW3. On top of that After they Promised me a New PW2 Replacement they sent PW2 Refirb.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:59 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Proof Read threads! When my PW2 broke after only 5 months of having it. I was told I could Only get PW2 Could Not up Grade to PW3. On top of that After they Promised me a New PW2 Replacement they sent PW2 Refirb.
They offered you a replacement not a discount. You didn't have to spend money to get a new one.
That is only proof of what they told you. Not what they told the OP.

I have proof that Amazon offered me $20 off any kindle. Oh and if I read the OP correctly, they are not offering a replacement which is what you got.
I assume you didn't have to pay for the second PW.

What they offered the OP was a discount off a new kindle which means if he wants a replacement, he will have to pay for it less the discount.

You and me are both right.
They offered you a replacement (exact) free.
They offered me and the OP a discount on a new ereader if we wanted to send the broke one back. They did not offer us replacements just discounts.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:15 PM   #11
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
There is the option of ordering the Oasis and exchange for another Voyage if you don't like it. You sound as if you want to scratch the itch to get one. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Personally I'd try it and see. If you're worried about the 20% not being credited to an exchange, that makes it harder to want to dive in.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:29 PM   #12
dcross9818
Enthusiast
dcross9818 doesn't litterdcross9818 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-350, Kobo Aura, Kindle PW2, Voyage (broke), Oasis
Thanks for the advice guys, just got off with another round with Amazon's chat CS. Yes they offered 20% off the purchase of a new unit (and they gave it to me in writing, thank goodness, they also said that I could get special offers removed, but I don't know if they are going to stack the offers. I certainly am going to try though!). I think I am going to order the Oasis once it is in stock again. I just wished a local store had it in stock so I could see it first. Hopefully they've worked some of the bugs out of the screen.

I like the idea of the new Kobo, but it is a little big for me. I like that I can drop my now defunct Voyage in my pocket and go out. I had the original Aura, but it always seemed buggy.

I just hate to have to buy a new unit after what I am assuming was a botched firmware update.
dcross9818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:36 PM   #13
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Congrats on 20% off any device.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:25 PM   #14
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Personally I'd rather have a Voyage than an Oasis. I worry about that small battery in the Oasis. The Cover just charges that little battery so it's going to be used a lot. A lithium ion battery typically gets between 500 and 1000 full charges or twice that many half charges, etc. The smaller the battery the more quickly it uses up those charges.

I have no way of estimating the overall lifetime of that battery but if I remember correctly it's about 1/6 the size of the Voyage battery, which means it should die about 6 times sooner if I'm figuring this correctly. I'm not a battery expert but I wouldn't like to spend $300 to find out of I'm right.

By the way, I have a Voyage and a Paperwhite and I use both. I prefer the Voyage but I'd be perfectly happy with either of them. If I had to replace my Voyage I'm not sure which I'd replace it with.

Barry

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:39 PM   #15
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
If it were me, I would replace with another Voyage.

I really like the pressure sensitive "pagepress" buttons on the Voyage.
Ditto this!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote