Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-27-2007, 01:46 PM   #16
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer
hapax legomenon doesn't litterhapax legomenon doesn't litter

Device: ipad, Sony Reader PRS 505, Cybook 3
although I can't wait to get my hands on the cybook, I probably won't be buying until the reviews come out and the Kindle come out (although if the Kindle comes out in November, I probably won't be able to wait).

Isn't it odd how Kindle is dropping no kinds of hints at all? Wouldn't it be in their best interest to make some more leaks (or at least a better screenshot!).

The lack of kindle publicity definitely makes me wonder if it's really going to come out.
hapax legomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:31 PM   #17
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
No kidding. Amazon has an amazing opportunity to create some buzz. But nope, nothing.

Sony on the other hand is keeping quiet because they don't want to sacrifice existing stock. I have a feeling the PRS-505 will debut on Monday, once all the current CC offers are up.

I also have a feeling that they are telling people to call back on Monday because they know if they announce now that all backordered Sony Rewards recepients will receive the new unit, they will be inundated with applications. They can afford to give a few new ones away, but not that many.

That was, of course, 100% speculation. I have absolutely no more info than anyone else.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2007, 02:51 PM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
My read on it is that the previous Kindle leak was a genuine accident. Still, look at the buzz that's been generated almost a year later, without Amazon doing anything much more than keeping their mouths shut. If they came out with some actual data, it could only serve to limit our rampant speculative ravings, and then where would they be?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #19
penty
Connoisseur
penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Suspended mode: First of all, it's booting much faster than an iLiad or a Sony (around 14s). While reading a book, there's 2 different status for the device, if you're turning pages pretty fast, the device stays completely on (and you can browse through your book really fast). If you're actually reading and not turning pages, the device use a sleep mode while waiting for the next input. You don't have a button to make everything disappear on the screen like the Sony, but if you're not doing anything on the device, the battery use should be much lower (a full week at least). It's not like the Sony suspended mode where you can keep it in this mode for a full month, but at least you can turn it completely off (without a user hack) and the booting time is good. They'll be constantly working on improving this "sleep mode". I just hope that you can put it on hold...
Unless they did a bunch of optimization in V.96 the battery will not last a week. From my experience, I'd say 3-4 days of mixed use.
penty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:01 PM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
This sort of information makes me even more impressed with the Sony's battery life.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2007, 05:05 PM   #21
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by penty View Post
Unless they did a bunch of optimization in V.96 the battery will not last a week. From my experience, I'd say 3-4 days of mixed use.
I took that comment to mean it would last a week with no use.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:19 PM   #22
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I took that comment to mean it would last a week with no use.
Yep that's correct.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:49 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yep that's correct.
Just a week? I really am impressed with my Sony even more. Plus, if I was not using the Sony, I can now turn it off. Granted it takes like 2 min to boot, but that;s ok since I know this ahead of time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:04 PM   #24
penty
Connoisseur
penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: CyBook Gen3
Aside from some minor quibbles I'm happy with the Cybook. I just want one with an 8" screen.
penty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:47 PM   #25
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

I have a quick question about the look-up feature that hopefully someone can answer. Can you search text in books or is it just for dictionary search?
Old 09-27-2007, 09:08 PM   #26
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I have a quick question about the look-up feature that hopefully someone can answer. Can you search text in books or is it just for dictionary search?

Looks like it's mostly a dictionary search. Would be nice to do a text search, but you'd have to be able to specify the words - and how would you do that without a keyboard?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:21 PM   #27
Alisa
Gadget Geek

You could specify a word with an on-screen keyboard that you cursor through with buttons. My DVR has an interface like that for searching the directory for shows I want to record. It uses directional arrow buttons on the remote to move through the alphabet. It's not fast but since you're not entering a lot of text, it's just fine.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:57 PM   #28
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Well... on the other hand you can turn off your Cybook easily, unlike the Sony Reader. Even though you can add a real off button for the Sony, you still get a VERY long booting time.

It's part software based, part hardware based. You can really improve your battery life with the right software too (for example what the community did for the iLiad using PDF).
To piggyback a little. The battery drain is from hardware but software controls the hardware so there are techniques to shut more of the hardware down to get longer battery life. If you have the ability to completely turn it off then the battery life gets really long but then you might have a long start up period. It is clear that Sony has been out longer and has the trade off down to a pretty good number. Compare that with the iLiad which would only last about 15 hours last time I checked. This unit, at a week, is well on its way and is sufficient for a great number of people although you can't win a contest of "my ebook reader lasts longer that yours" if that is your goal.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:46 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't really see that it matters if the battery life is a week or a month; once it gets past the ability to see you through the longest reasonable day, plane trip, or whatever, that's all that matters, or so it seems to me, anyway. Anything beyond that, one is engaging in what seems to me to be a rather pointless comparison of fairly meaningless numbers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:11 AM   #30
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
If the battery life is extremely long you can even run into the problem that you forget to charge it. It happens to me with my phone. It will last about 10 days when I'm not using it very often. So when I have to make a few long calls after a week, I drain the battery because there was only 15% power left. That never happend to me with my old phone. That one lasted 2 days max. So it was on the charger whenever possible

Last edited by Ortep; 09-28-2007 at 03:13 AM.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote