Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
THE SUMMONING FIRE - by David Michael (Horror) [contest post #19]

The Summoning Fire

Genre: Horror/Urban Fantasy
Price: $4.99

Welcome to Hell on Earth!

All Reese Howard has left is pain. Pain and a pump-action shotgun.

Sam is dead. The Old Man killed her right in front of Reese. A blood sacrifice to fuel his latest powerplay in Hell on Earth. She hopes the Old Man made a mistake, leaving her alive and armed. But she doubts it. He knows she's coming. The half-goat bastard has to know.

Whatever the Old Man knows or doesn't know, Reese plans to make him pay.

And she plans to die trying.

Click here to read a FREE Preview of The Summoning Fire!

Available for:
Reviews of The Summoning Fire

"...Prepare to be spooked in the most unusual way. ...When you are in Hell on Earth almost anything can happen and usually does. Devils and demons roam at will, and death is as common as coffee..." --Leslie Wright, Blogcritics

"Scary as Hell" --Simon Royle

"...From the moment the summoning happens until the end, I would say it’s a read to be read during the day, way before the night. And even then you could have some nightmares." --Murphy's Library

About the Author: Most days, David Michael is a software developer and a writer. Some days, he’s a writer and a software developer. Still other days, he’s an amateur photographer. Because, really, who is the same person every day?

About the Cover: Cover painting, End of Days, and layout by Don Michael, Jr.

Last edited by DavidRM; 03-17-2011 at 11:14 PM.
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I just reviewed this book on my blog. It isn't my usual cup of tea, but I think it was well done and somewhere along the way, I was hooked!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

GraceKrispy: Thank you for the review!

-David
Old 10-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
DavidRM
Addict

Leslie Wright at Blogcritics gives The Summoning Fire 4 stars!

Prepare to be spooked in the most unusual way. The Summoning Fire by David Michael has such an effect. When you are in Hell on Earth almost anything can happen and usually does. Devils and demons roam at will, and death is as common as coffee...

This is a fast paced and extremely creative story, full of violence and horror. I would recommend reading this book in the full daylight unless you are sharing it with friends. Cover the windows and turn on the lights, be prepared to be scared.

Read the whole review here...

-David
Old 10-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
simonroyle
Addict
simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
That's great David - good stuff.
simonroyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
DavidRM
Addict

Win a FREE The Summoning Fire Trade Paperback!

Click here to signup for the giveaway (on GoodReads)!

Edit: Signup deadline is 11:59pm on 4 November.

-David

Last edited by DavidRM; 11-04-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #7
DavidRM
Addict

THE SUMMONING FIRE Reviewed at Reading Review

Conan Tigard at Reading Review rates The Summoning Fire 7½ out of 10.

David Michael has created a world that I would never want to live in. The plot moves along with as many chapters that take place in the past as do in the present. There are also a few chapters thrown in that ... center upon people that live in Hell on Earth and the tragic end to the lives, usually at the hands, which it doesn't really have, so let's say tendrils, of the summoned creature. Man, would this ever be a depressing place to live. Death surround the inhabitants at ever corner...

Read the whole review and a FREE EXCERPT from The Summoning Fire here...

-David
Old 11-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
DavidRM
Addict

THE SUMMONING FIRE Gets 4 Stars at Murphy's Library!

Murphy's Library gives The Summoning Fire 4 stars!

...From the moment the summoning happens until the end, I would say it’s a read to be read during the day, way before the night. And even then you could have some nightmares. The story is so well written that you feel the need to look behind you while reading the tensest moments, and I got my fill of shivers...

...Overall, yes, I’d totally recommend this book. But let me warn you, it is the type of horror that scares you, not the type of horror that makes you laugh. Don’t expect a trash horror novel, but [a] very well written scary book.

Read the whole review here...

-David

Last edited by DavidRM; 11-26-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
DavidRM
Addict

How I Built The Summoning Fire

How I Built The Summoning Fire

An author's confession of an odd approach...

This is the structure I used to outline and write the first draft of The Summoning Fire:

In short, the story was built and written as a spiral, expanding outwards.

Why a spiral?

Why not?

The idea for a "spiral structured story" occurred to me in August 2006, appealed to me immediately, and I refused to let it go. My original idea was to spiral *in*, instead of *out*, but the storyline I came up with seemed to work better exploding out from the center.

It took me a couple days to decide on the shape of the spiral, including the positioning of the little "spurs" that come off the main arms (which represent the stories of secondary characters related or tangential to the particular main storyline). And for some reason I insisted on having the shape visually balanced.

The vertical axis is time, with the past at the top and the future at the bottom. The horizontal axis is less well defined. I started out with the idea that the horizontal axis indicated "relevance" to the central event. But that's not quite it. And, frankly, the time aspect of the vertical axis got abused quite a bit.

Ultimately, though, it doesn't matter what either axis represents. I wasn't trying to create a 100% accurate representation of the story in 2D space. And I'm not even sure what that means. ;-)

So, once you get down to the essentials, this picture is just a graphic aid, a pretty diagram for a story with 4 main storylines that either converge toward or diverge from a particular event.

I liked the experimental, non-linear nature of the spiral.

I wrote the first draft of The Summoning Fire exactly as shown, with the exception of cutting the planned chapters #14 and #22. As I reached those chapters, they seemed redundant. I had already covered what those chapters had been outlined for.

The final draft, though, the story as it is now in paperback and ebook, was shifted a bit to make it less confusing (your mileage may vary ). Also, and perhaps more importantly/usefully, I added the simple phrases "Before the Fire" and "After the Fire" to each chapter heading. The "Before the Fire" chapters move backwards from the first chapter, while the "After the Fire" chapters move forward from the fire.

-David
Old 11-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Very interesting approach! It's amazing how much planning and forethought went in, but the end results show it.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
DavidRM
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Very interesting approach! It's amazing how much planning and forethought went in, but the end results show it.
Thanks! =)

I think every author eventually finds their own "interesting approach". And then changes it some. I know mine is still evolving.

-David
Old 12-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #12
DavidRM
Addict

A Story of Reese & Sam

Note: This is the first story I wrote about Reese & Sam, while I was still exploring them as characters for The Summoning Fire. This story is non-canonical with The Summoning Fire. That is, if it did happen, it might not have gone down exactly this way. And you'll notice the Old Man, and their relationship with him, is still evolving. Enjoy! :-)

Reese Makes a Deal
by David Michael

There was only one way to kill a vampire quickly: grind it into hamburger. Reese did the next best thing. She emptied the magazine of her 12 gauge pump-action shotgun into the thing's chest and head.

She paused only long enough to take two deep, gasping breaths. Then she stepped back to reload, pushing shells into the tube magazine and looking over at Sam to see how the other woman was doing.

Sam sat, leaning against the wall where the vampire had thrown her, looking dazed.

"You still with me?" Reese asked.

Sam shook her head, blinked a few times. "Maybe," she said.

Reese pumped a shell into the chamber, pushed another shell into the magazine to keep it full. Then she let the shotgun dangle from its shoulder strap as she picked up her nine millimeter semi-auto from the floor where she had dropped it.

She popped out the clip, counted only six rounds. She pushed the clip into her pocket and pulled out a full one to replace it. Then she unscrewed the silencer from the barrel, put it away as well. After nine shots, it was spent. And after five blasts from the shotgun, there wasn't anyone within a quarter mile who didn't know she and Sam were around...

Read the rest of the story on my blog, Guns & Magic...

-David
Old 12-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #13
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
David, I really appreciate you taking the time to post the creation of your story and some of the other stuff you've done to pimp your ride

Seriously, awesome. I'm one of the proud owners of Fire..
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:06 AM   #14
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I love seeing people's approach to creating a story. My approach would be this - first of all, I would develop software that would help me plan my approach to the story..........

Yeah - OK - now I know why writing a novel is one of those dreams I have that I can't see happening anytime soon.

I like horror if it really is scary, so I'm putting this one on my list to be purchased. I'm hoping the reviewers weren't overstating the horror though - I've been disappointed quite often.

I see why people who float around this forum tend to have really big TBR lists.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #15
DavidRM
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
David, I really appreciate you taking the time to post the creation of your story and some of the other stuff you've done to pimp your ride

Seriously, awesome. I'm one of the proud owners of Fire..
Thanks for reading! Both the story and the novel.

I have another Reese & Sam pre-story I'll be posting in a week or two. That one, I think, is closer to "canon" in some regards...though still with the same disclaimer. =)

-David