Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-07-2012, 07:26 AM   #136
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I don't mind at all if people mention links to overdrive or other lending libraries in their posts.
Yeah, I saw your first post. For some reason it didn't occur to me that I could do that.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #137
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I don't mind at all if people mention links to overdrive or other lending libraries in their posts.

Quote:
But your argument seemed to be that since overdrive doesn't work for everyone, then why include the link at all? Just like the ebook store links: they don't work for everyone, so why are they included?
True...faulty reasoning leading to an invalid point. Thanks for reminding me that there is a great big world out there.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #138
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Since no one wants to breach the subject. I'll do it. I'm tired of too many old books. Okay I'm not really tired of old books, but every month has Classic selections within the nominations. We aren't forgetting about the Classics at any point in the year. To that end I believe having two months devoted to Classics is overkill. I think December as a Classics month is a good option. So I am lobbying the book club members to think about changing the genre/category for June. My suggestions are the following:

My suggestions for a category:
Prize Winners - I don't care which prize, it could be Nebula or Hugo or Orange or Giller or Pulitzer or something by an author that has a Nobel prize for writing of some sort (could be non-fiction/journalism at that point)
Decade - would require a single vote to start to choose a decade (I'm going to suggest the 1950s, 1960s or 1970s to start). Nominations must be for books first published in that decade 1950 to 1959 for instance. I've long held a grudge toward society that we ignore important works of art, writing, architecture, etc. from the mid-century.
Free for All(2) - this is definitely a self-centered suggestion by me, but most of what I read fits into the general fiction area
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #139
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
^ I'm with you on this. Classics fatigue...(ducks and runs for cover).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #140
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Since no one wants to breach the subject. I'll do it. I'm tired of too many old books. Okay I'm not really tired of old books, but every month has Classic selections within the nominations. We aren't forgetting about the Classics at any point in the year. To that end I believe having two months devoted to Classics is overkill. I think December as a Classics month is a good option. So I am lobbying the book club members to think about changing the genre/category for June. My suggestions are the following:

My suggestions for a category:
Prize Winners - I don't care which prize, it could be Nebula or Hugo or Orange or Giller or Pulitzer or something by an author that has a Nobel prize for writing of some sort (could be non-fiction/journalism at that point)
Decade - would require a single vote to start to choose a decade (I'm going to suggest the 1950s, 1960s or 1970s to start). Nominations must be for books first published in that decade 1950 to 1959 for instance. I've long held a grudge toward society that we ignore important works of art, writing, architecture, etc. from the mid-century.
Free for All(2) - this is definitely a self-centered suggestion by me, but most of what I read fits into the general fiction area
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
^ I'm with you on this. Classics fatigue...(ducks and runs for cover).
I've always thought a prize winner category was a good idea, but I think that some limit has to be put on what qualifies as a significant enough prize.

There is already a time period month in the other book club. I suppose two would not hurt though.

A totally open category might be difficult in attracting enough votes and readers. But that's just my opinion.

Looking back at the past few months, a tough summer led me to stop participating here, it seems that the requirement that the book be available as an ebook has been dropped?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #141
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I second Prize Winners. Or third it. Whatever. I don't even think we need to put limits on the kinds of prizes, since the books have to run through the nom-and-second process, and then be voted on; if a book that won the COVR Award (New Age industry books) or an ENnie (tabletop RPG award; could go to a rulebook) got through all that, it would mean that several people at MR think it's an interesting book and worth reading.

And if we're not going to bother defining "classic," why try to restrict "award winners" to only certain kinds of awards? I don't think we'll be flooded with nominations from "Best Cookbook according to the Food Network" or some random fraternity's "best book to read on the bus to pick up chicks."

However, I can certainly deal with "only certain kinds of awards;" we'd just need to define those. I'd prefer they were defined by category rather than a list--awards from an organization over a certain size, or that have been around a certain number of years, or something like that, rather than trying to keep up with a specific list.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #142
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do like the idea of award winners as a category to replace the extra classics. That's a great idea.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #143
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I like it, too.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #144
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
As someone else suggested, it might be a good idea to define what we mean by "award winner". There are countless awards out there, and not all are created equal. If we allow them all, there's probably very few books that haven't won some kind of award, even if it's just a gold star from the author's Aunt Hilda. Perhaps we should draw up a list of awards that would be acceptable for consideration that includes such names as the Pulitzer Prizes and the National Book Awards. Should Hugo Award winners be accepted? Should Bram Stoker Award Winners be? Perhaps we should draw up a list of the people who bestow the awards and then vote on which of those would be acceptable for inclusion on our Official MobileRead Awards Vote Qualification list.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #145
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I'm personally not that much interested in award winners. If we have a month free now - if we really want to "kill" the second month of classics - then I would propose to give it to non-fiction. I would either like to see it as a second non-fiction month or dedicated/restricted to biographies.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #146
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My non-fiction reading doesn't go into the history or biography much. So I'm not big on another non-fiction or biography month, but if others like it then so be it.

My choice would be prize winner. I'd also put it out for these prizes: Nobel (usually for overall life's work, but sometimes for individual works); Booker; Pulitzer; PEN/Faulkner; O'Henry; National Book Critics Circle Award (I like this because it covers a lot including non-fiction and biographies).

To be more international, we could add the Kafka award as well?

I'd be open to genre awards as well if we could narrow each genre down to an award (difficult at best).

Last edited by HomeInMyShoes; 10-04-2012 at 12:52 PM.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #147
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
I'm personally not that much interested in award winners. If we have a month free now - if we really want to "kill" the second month of classics - then I would propose to give it to non-fiction. I would either like to see it as a second non-fiction month or dedicated/restricted to biographies.
Nominate a non-fiction award winner, it will be a guaranteed win.

I like the idea of an award winner month. And I don't care what the award is, let the nominations and voting sort it out.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #148
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
As someone else suggested, it might be a good idea to define what we mean by "award winner". There are countless awards out there, and not all are created equal. If we allow them all, there's probably very few books that haven't won some kind of award, even if it's just a gold star from the author's Aunt Hilda. Perhaps we should draw up a list of awards that would be acceptable for consideration that includes such names as the Pulitzer Prizes and the National Book Awards. Should Hugo Award winners be accepted? Should Bram Stoker Award Winners be? Perhaps we should draw up a list of the people who bestow the awards and then vote on which of those would be acceptable for inclusion on our Official MobileRead Awards Vote Qualification list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
My non-fiction reading doesn't go into the history or biography much. So I'm not big on another non-fiction or biography month, but if others like it then so be it.

My choice would be prize winner. I'd also put it out for these prizes: Nobel (usually for overall life's work, but sometimes for individual works); Booker; Pulitzer; PEN/Faulkner; O'Henry; National Book Critics Circle Award (I like this because it covers a lot including non-fiction and biographies).

To be more international, we could add the Kafka award as well?

I'd be open to genre awards as well if we could narrow each genre down to an award (difficult at best).
Just my point about opening it up to any sort of award, even well known ones. Including say the Hugo Award is just adding an additional Science Fiction month, and for my reading tastes the one we have is already one more than I would prefer.

I would like to have an additional non-fiction month, but the trouble is so much of what I prefer in non-fiction would be books that would take any but superficial discussion into the area of the P&R forum. So I think that just naturally tends to make the non-fiction category more of a biography/history month.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #149
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Prize winner is redundant in the same way classics is; any prize winner belongs in another category, too. I'd rather have another non-fiction month; perhaps make one biography/memoir and one history/other.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #150
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
A vote will settle it one way or the other, but I would prefer to keep two classics.

I remember last year we had a similar discussion and it seemed the majority of posts were in favour of getting rid of a classic month, and then the vote came and a solid majority wanted to keep two classic months.

I would also like to add that despite the complaints, the two classic months are two of our most popular months with some of the most nominations and most votes.

If we want to get rid of a category to add a new one, I suggest combining Mystery/Crime and Thriller/Suspense, which are very similar, and calling the new category "Mystery/Thriller". If you look at both category's nominations, almost every single nomination could be equally well nominated in either category.

I also wonder if a Humour category is necessary. Humour is so subjective, and a smaller genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes
...every month has Classic selections within the nominations. We aren't forgetting about the Classics at any point in the year...
One reason classics do so well is because they're often free. And every category shows up in other categories, not just classics. Just look at this month - in the "Horror" category we have selections that could also be considered "Thriller/Suspense", "Humour", "Mystery/Crime", "Fantasy" and even "Romance". And we get "Science Fiction" nominations in many categories throughout the year as well.

Quote:
...I think December as a Classics month is a good option. So I am lobbying the book club members to think about changing the genre/category for June...
If a vote did away with a classics month, I'd prefer the opposite, Classics in June. I think Classics only being in December could lead to a too large concentration of holiday classics; for example the last December the selection was A Christmas Carol.

Quote:
...My suggestions for a category:
Prize Winners...Decade...FreeForAll(2)...
I am ambivalent about Prize Winners. I like the idea of award-winning books, but despite the large amount of awards, I think it could lead to similar nominations every year. And if we include genre awards, then the category could easily turn into just another genre (probably sci-fi/fantasy) month.

Decade is interesting and I like it but I'm not big on it being decided just by the first vote, and this category would require more work for Tom which he probably doesn't need anymore.

I like a second FreeForAll. Why not? Two per year seems appropriate, and then people can nominate whatever they like, whether it be Classic, Mystery/Thriller, Non-Fiction, Prize Winner or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi
...If we have a month free now...then I would propose to give it to non-fiction. I would either like to see it as a second non-fiction month or dedicated/restricted to biographies.
I like both those ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53
Just my point about opening it up to any sort of award, even well known ones. Including say the Hugo Award is just adding an additional Science Fiction month, and for my reading tastes the one we have is already one more than I would prefer.

I would like to have an additional non-fiction month, but the trouble is so much of what I prefer in non-fiction would be books that would take any but superficial discussion into the area of the P&R forum. So I think that just naturally tends to make the non-fiction category more of a biography/history month.
All good points that I agree with.

Other category possibilities I would be interested in:

-Drama (not plays) - We could really use a category for "normal" plots, no wizards, no aliens, no serial killers, etc. We currently have no category that could fit in many good books because the plots don't fall into some special genre, so this category could fill that hole.

-Young Adult - I've always liked YA, it would be a fun, easy category, and it's a very distinct category that would fit in well.

-Adventure - As in, travelling, exploring, etc. It could include books from say, Crocodile on the Sandbank, to The Princess Bride, to Indiana Jones type stories, to spy thrillers such as James Bond, to westerns, to even The Odyssey. I think it could be a great category.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote