Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Data behind what sells based on Smashwords

Mark Coker of Smashwords recently posted this slide deck discussion what works and does not work based on data taken from ebook sales. Some highlights are
  • Price point of 2.99 to 5.99 appears to be the best range for Indy Authors.
  • Price of 0.99 to 1.99 under perform by as much as 60%.
  • In general ebook readers prefer longer books (>100k words) but Romance and Erotica tend to want short books (75-85k).
Check the slide deck for other interesting facts:
http://www.slideshare.net/Smashwords...h-more-readers

Last edited by VydorScope; 04-27-2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Mark's last name is Coker, not Cook ops :)
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Wingpeople
▲▲ Books with Altitude ▲▲
Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
There's some interesting information in that slideshow. Thanks for passing it along. I've been reading about some authors who've experimented with raising their prices (e.g. from .99 to 2.99 or from 2.99 to 5.99) and actually saw more sales at the higher price -- perhaps because of the perceived value of a higher-priced book. I'll probably experiment with that once our next KDP Select free promo has run its course.
Wingpeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Mark Coker of Smashwords recently posted this slide deck discussion what works and does not work based on data taken from ebook sales. Some highlights are
  • Price point of 2.99 to 5.99 appears to be the best range for Indy Authors.
  • Price of 0.99 to 1.99 under perform by as much as 60%.
  • In general ebook readers prefer longer books (>100k words) but Romance and Erotica tend to want short books (75-85k).
Velly intellesting. That explains why page views for my short stories rose when I hiked the price.

Wonder what the sales numbers are for all those super short erotica pieces- the ones below 7k words.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
He wrote an ebook on the same topic. I haven't read it all yet but it seems quite good.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/145431
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:37 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
The curiosity is whether this information will generate an artificial price escalation - an ebook bubble? That is: if the stats indicate that people are using price as a form of selection filter, then maybe the current freebies will try raising their prices to get in on the act. Thus, for the user selection filter to continue to work, they will have to look at higher prices ... and so on. It may become cheaper to buy from traditional publishers.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:09 AM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

gmw...

Doubtful. I would guess that his reach of readers is to small for that.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
Greenkeeper
Connoisseur
Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Maybe it's time I raise my prices, then. I've been at 99 cents since I started two years ago on the idea that since I write a series each volume should be cheaper so that the whole story doesn't get too expensive. I'm at three books so far at greater than 70k words each which seems a good deal at $2.97 for the set. Once I finish the planned five book series it'd be $4.95 for all. Sales have been very steady with the release of each new installment increasing total sales proportionally since my readers tend to buy all my books at once or within a short period of time, but I have been wondering if I'm not missing out on some profit by not going with the $2.99 price.
Greenkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
VydorScope
Wizard

Greenkeeper,

Stuff in this world moves slowly... you could try leaving book 1 at 99 and making 2,3, and 4 $2.99 for a couple months and see what happens. If you get complaints, you can give out Smashwords coupons to reduce the price. If sales go up, then you know you under sold yourself. Just a thought.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #9
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
The curiosity is whether this information will generate an artificial price escalation - an ebook bubble? That is: if the stats indicate that people are using price as a form of selection filter, then maybe the current freebies will try raising their prices to get in on the act. Thus, for the user selection filter to continue to work, they will have to look at higher prices ... and so on. It may become cheaper to buy from traditional publishers.
If all the $2.99 erotica I've seen is any indication, it won't. Its probably more like in World of Warcraft when everyone notices what everyone else has an item up for, and puts their stuff up at the same price.

Minus the profiteers and speculators who buy up reasonably- priced stuff and then try to flip it over, of course.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote