Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #181
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcooke66 View Post
I could not agree more, I am sticking with the cover view even though I would rather see a list view, unfortunately the list view shows less and has huge amounts of white space. I want a list view that maximizes the number of elements it shows the thumbnail view is for the nice look and feel.

Not a big deal by any stretch, but stupid. No point in having options that do not actually meet different use cases.
Yeah, the only way I can see that list view being useful would be if you didn't want to have your covers seen.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #182
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
When manually syncing, it would be nice to see a little popup (or notification in the top left) that says "Sync Complete". I find myself tapping it a few times to make sure it did something. The "spin" often isn't a full rotation.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:13 PM   #183
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Ok, I'm not liking some Shelves behavior.

At least with stuff I've got in My Files storage, 'Most Recent' sort does not work: the order of items seems to be determined by the file timestamp, not the timestamp of last access. 'All', meanwhile, does pay attention to the last access timestamp. It's 'inconsistent' at the least, and I don't see a use case for ordering by file timestamp (except perhaps when something has never been accessed).

E.g this means that if my Shelf has 50 items, and I'm reading #42, I have to scroll all the way down to find it each time (or use a different way to navigate to it).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #184
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't like not being able to delete Samples directly on Nook. I can archive them, but deleting them requires logging on to my account on B&N.com and doing it there. I probably go through 10 or more samples before deciding to buy 1 book, so it just adds to clutter.

And it's annoying that the 'Buy Now' is on every page. I know how to buy books from the Library listing, I don't need a virtual salesperson following me around the virtual store and offering to take my money.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-23-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #185
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
'Most Recent' sort does not work: the order of items seems to be determined by the file timestamp, not the timestamp of last access. '...
Yep. The NOOKcolor and NOOK Android app are the same way. When I use the NOOK app, I constantly have to hunt and peck for the books I'm currently reading because there is no sort by Recently Read. Is such a feature so far beyond anyone's grasp in Development? It's like no one [there] reads on these devices. Surely, if one did they would eventually seek to sort by recent reads. There's no reason why they can't have "Recent Downloads" and "Recent Reads" or something similar.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #186
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
I don't like not being able to delete Samples directly on Nook. I can archive them, but deleting them requires logging on to my account on B&N.com and doing it there. I probably go through 10 or more samples before deciding to buy 1 book, so it just adds to clutter.

And it's annoying that the 'Buy Now' is on every page. I know how to buy books from the Library listing, I don't need a virtual salesperson following me around the store and offering to take my money.
Same as the NOOKcolor. The stuff you mention has been moaned and groaned about with that device. Nothing's changed -- simply ported to the Touch.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #187
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I agree with others who say Home/Shop don't merit attention most of the time. They should at least consolidate it onto a single screen. However, I wouldn't mind reading some mini-reviews or 'book news' that's updated frequently. Kindle has 'Kindle Daily Post' which sometimes has interesting things in it (reviews, author interviews, etc.). Something like that might work here also. But they'd have to actually have to pay someone to edit it...

Last edited by tomsem; 06-23-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #188
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Yep. The NOOKcolor and NOOK Android app are the same way. When I use the NOOK app, I constantly have to hunt and peck for the books I'm currently reading because there is no sort by Recently Read. Is such a feature so far beyond anyone's grasp in Development? It's like no one [there] reads on these devices. Surely, if one did they would eventually seek to sort by recent reads. There's no reason why they can't have "Recent Downloads" and "Recent Reads" or something similar.
Sure there is On the Home Page on the nook color up in the right hand corner you'll see "More" tap that and it brings up last three most recently read books and files.

I'm not sure if the Nook STR has it, but if it does I don't see why that wouldn't work the same.

hmmm maybe I should file under tips and tricks.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #189
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Same as the NOOKcolor. The stuff you mention has been moaned and groaned about with that device. Nothing's changed -- simply ported to the Touch.
I assume as much, but I'm not going to dig through NOOKcolor threads just to read about all the grief that has gone down there. Hey, I've got my own to express! And I don't want to spoil any surprises for myself...
Old 06-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #190
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Sure there is On the Home Page on the nook color up in the right hand corner you'lls "More" tap that and it brings up last three most recently read books and files.
You're right. I often poke my head in books for various reasons (sometimes intentional, sometimes not). Let's say I access two books simply to retrieve a note or highlight or related titles or whatever (I'm not really reading the book). That list isn't of any use for books that I truly am reading. Whereas a simple sort by recently reads within my library is all encompassing. Also, I'm sure many have mistakenly clicked on a title with no intention to read it. That book would appear in the list you mention.

Last edited by SCION; 06-23-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #191
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
I assume as much, but I'm not going to dig through NOOKcolor threads just to read about all the grief that has gone down there. Hey, I've got my own to express! And I don't want to spoil any surprises for myself...
Oh, no, I wasn't implying that you should. Just making a sarcastic reference to the fact that it most likely will not be addressed.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #192
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
You're right. I often poke my head in books for various reasons (sometimes intentional, sometimes not). Let's say I access two books simply to retrieve a note or highlight or related titles or whatever (I'm not really reading the book). That list isn't of any use for books that I truly am reading. Whereas a simple sort by recently reads within my library is all encompassing. Also, I'm sure many have mistakenly clicked on a title with no intention to read it. That book would appear in the list you mention.

well now you asking the device to determine what is considered a "last read" and what isn't.

That might be asking a bit too much. don't you think? it would border on reading your mind. The device can only determine what last books you previously opened. Now what if you wanted that book to stay on your list even though you were only in it for a second? . The device doesn't know what you doing with it.

Last edited by boswd; 06-23-2011 at 05:39 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:39 PM   #193
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
When I use Library/Books/Recent, I see the most-recently-viewed book first in the list, followed by the next-most-recently, etc. Not clear to me where your issue is?
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:39 PM   #194
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sure there is On the Home Page on the nook color up in the right hand corner you'll see "More" tap that and it brings up last three most recently read books and files.

I'm not sure if the Nook STR has it, but if it does I don't see why that wouldn't work the same.

hmmm maybe I should file under tips and tricks.
Not on Nook STR. The screen is smaller so obviously something had to give. You only get to see the most recent 'read', and have to jump to Library to see the rest. I'm not even sure why they show most recent, the little book icon in upper left does the same thing much more concisely.

Perhaps we should be compiling a list of differences as well as one of commonalities.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #195
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
well now you asking the device to determine what is considered a "last read" and what isn't.

That might be asking a bit too much. don't you think, it would border on reading your mind. The device can only determine what last books you previously opened. Now what if you wanted that book to stay on your list even though you were only in it for a minute . The device doesn't know what you doing with it.
I'm simply expecting B&N to implement logical functionality. Nothing more or less. Can I get a sort by recent reads within my library? Other devices and apps do this. Again, let's call a spade a spade and stop making excuses for stuff that should be there. B&N are late to the game when it comes to ereaders. They had/have lots of good examples to emulate. They choose not to.