Notices

Old 07-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #16
Lawcheehung
Junior Kindler
Lawcheehung began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikspeare View Post
The original design looked like the Graphite DX without a keyboard and touch e-ink screen
Lawcheehung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #17
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
That's not the same device. This one is based on monochrome lcd technology while the one in the first post is based on e-ink. Same manufacturer, different devices.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #18
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
I ve pretty much had it with the vapourware in this biz, they better effing release it tomorrow, and stop all this prototype crap.

The much maligned (by idiots or competitors) apple announced and shipped a product when they said they would, why do others have to be so dishonest just to get some publicity and end up screwing the buyer? I am sick and tired of this.

After a January announcement where the hell is this product? Why should we care about asus prototypes, everyone and their brother have some prototype to push...
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #19
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
pretty shocking that the best Amazon could come up in a year was a 2.5 update with collections, a grey shell, and better contrast. It sounds suicidal to me.
If you haven't seen the new Graphite in person, you probably don't realize how much better the new screen really is. After a week with it, I could never go back to my old DX.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #20
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryE123 View Post
I ve pretty much had it with the vapourware in this biz, they better effing release it tomorrow, and stop all this prototype crap.

The much maligned (by idiots or competitors) apple announced and shipped a product when they said they would, why do others have to be so dishonest just to get some publicity and end up screwing the buyer? I am sick and tired of this.

After a January announcement where the hell is this product? Why should we care about asus prototypes, everyone and their brother have some prototype to push...
We are simply swimming in a sea of tablets, vaporware tablets, that is. It must be nice to have zero competition literally.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #21
harryE123
Banned

Hahaha, for sure!
Old 07-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #22
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
This whole thread is a bit confusing. I'm pretty sure you're all talking about the Asus DR 900 (rather than the 950). It should be coming out next month and will be available in the UK for around 200-300 from PC World. I doubt if it's vapour ware as they've been demoing fully working models since April. The model in the last picture above was a totally different item alltogether from Asus.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #23
harryE123
Banned

I don't mean to doubt you but this demo shows it more doa than fully functional.

http://amazonbookworm.com/2010/07/07...at-cebit-2010/
Old 07-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #24
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
If Amazon came out tomorrow and supported ePub across all Kindle models, the E-book wars would be over.

But Amazon is too short-sighted to understand that having a device that can use all forms of digital content would expand their market share and they would still get alot of business at their store.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #25
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Sipix displays have LESS contrast then regular Vizplex from Eink so the DR900/950 will be way behind the new Pearl displays as used in the DX Graphite. So the choice (display wise) will be a trade off between contrast and price. The Asus will have slightly smaller display but will be more open and have better firmware features.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #26
harryE123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDad6 View Post
If Amazon came out tomorrow and supported ePub across all Kindle models, the E-book wars would be over.

But Amazon is too short-sighted to understand that having a device that can use all forms of digital content would expand their market share and they would still get alot of business at their store.
And better PDF viewing to add to what you are saying. they are shortsighted and greedy, namely they are idiots. they could easily add a couple of simple features and make the kindle the iPod for books, yet they stick to trying to monopolise their devices with their own sold content, imposing ludicrous and counter productive limits to them, thus stifling their own progress and making life hard for users. You d have thought their moronic stance would be over by now what with all those years that have gone by but it hasn't.

They could be offering myself and others their reader with wifi, an app store and PDF and epub viewing (decent viewing that is) and I would make the kindle my main reading/library device as well as buy more items from them, instead they are sending all that market to inferior makers like asus. And it's not like the don't have apple to copy!!! Apple's shown everyone the blueprint for success, make a really capable device for almost all content and people will use it and buy more content from you too. Yet apple has being quick to implement a rather good PDF viewer on the iPad (as well as of course opening it up to anyone wanting to implement a PDF viewer functionality) in just a few months and amazon years later from product launch don't even support epub and some rudimentary PDF viewing. Laughable and lamentable at the same time.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #27
scheichxodox
Zealot
scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Does this mean it's about to start?

Greetz

Scheich Xodox
scheichxodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:29 AM   #28
FranciscoB
FranciscoB began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Hanlin v3
Bird in the hand

Quote:
In any case, it's only a matter of time that 9 inch rivals will challenge the DX, and pretty shocking that the best Amazon could come up in a year was a 2.5 update with collections, a grey shell, and better contrast. It sounds suicidal to me.
It's trivially true that the future will bring better devices. The fact is that Amazon released, while Asus and everybody else haven't.

FWIW One compelling reason for me to buy to DXG immediately was to be able to have a bigger reader during my summer vacation.
FranciscoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:43 AM   #29
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The design is decent.
The specs are fine.
The price suspicious.

But in the end it will likely be the software that will tell.
Just because it says it can do that doesn't mean it will do it well enough to live with long term.

They need to get it out so somebody can buy it.
Then the rest of us will know how good it is by the screams.
(Or lack there-of)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:58 AM   #30
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
The price has been quoted by many Asus reps since the product was first mentioned so it's unlikely to change. Their tablet computer is also pretty cheap and can be used as an ereader so they can't raise the price much without impacting the other product. The software looked pretty good during video demos and now they've had 4 months to iron out any bugs. The only question marks are on the sipix display and the optional 3G.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote