Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #31
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindle88 View Post
Got my Kobo Arc 16GB White a couple days ago here in Canada. Liking it so far. But still many things to explore and try out.

My white Arc only comes with the black theme. But on the Indigo website, there is a white theme for the white model. See below. How do I get the white colored theme? Thanks.

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r277sqc7db...aper_light.png

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-25-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #32
FaisalAbid
Developer - Kobo Arc.
FaisalAbid began at the beginning.

Hey guys, great questions here. I will reply very shortly with answers!
FaisalAbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #33
isayo74
isayo74 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo and Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by skouly View Post
Hi FaisalAbid: I just purchased a Kobo Arc and I am very impressed, especially after comparing it to the Nexus 7 (which I wrote about in detail in another thread). After reading the USB-OTG specification (USB On-the-Go), I am wondering if the Arc firmware can be tweaked with an update to allow the Arc to take advantage of this? Is this something that the developers would look at?

I know it was addressed by Kobo-Robin briefly in another thread, but since the Arc already has a micro-USB port, enabling USB-OTG would only require firmware tweaking, and adding to the already available USB 2.0 specification. Plus, it would allow many Arc owners the ability to load large content, ie: movies and videos, right from an attached USB stick. Let's face it, many Arc owners (and its demographic) aren't particularly keen on using the "Cloud" and this easily added functionality would really expand the Arc's capability.
Hi everybody !
I have just purchased an USB-OTG cable and I'm also hoping to use it on my Arc (unfortunately it doesn't work) ! Is it possible to use an USB stick ? (How ?) Will it be ?
isayo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #34
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
When will the Kobo Arc be available in the US?
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #35
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibabob View Post
One small detail that really bothers my eyes is that the app icons in tapestries are scaled up (zoomed) a bit making them look soft compared to the correct ones in the app drawer. I know its a small detail but it also gives a product a more polished and serious look.
We are working on that.
Advert
Old 12-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #36
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
When will the Kobo Arc be available in the US?
We can not talk release dates.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #37
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
I can understand for a device still in development, but the device is already released?
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #38
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
I can understand for a device still in development, but the device is already released?
I'm sure this is not a decision of the developers themselves. We all take orders from somewhere (unless we're the one giving them).
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #39
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Tapestry editing

Got my new Arc, replacing the Vox I had for a year. I am impressed!

Getting used to the tapestries: I somehow accidentally created multiple tapestry levels. I don't seem to be able to move an icon from a tapestry to a higher level. So I deleted the items in the tapestry that I created, and its parent, and ITS parent (don't know how I did all that without a "Create tapestry" command -> perhaps because in moving an icon, I dragged it on top of another?). So I needed to repin all the icons. (Bonus: Found the "Currently reading (small)" Kobo widget!)

Tapestry editing comments:
* it would be nice to be warned about creating new tapestries - suggestion: a dialog to give it a name, with a cancel button that would not create it
* it would be VERY nice to be able to move it out of the current tapestry to the parent - suggestion: long-click would provide a "move up" as well as "trash" option. With confirmation dialog.
* an option to collapse all contents of a tapestry to its parent - suggestion: in the same dialog as "Rename Current Tapestry"
* it's hard to navigate wide tapestries. It would be nice if the scroll to the right or left would stop more easily on the next screen-width of items.
* it would be nice to shove them out of the way as you move an item with the cursor (a la iOS home screen editing). It's hard to organize the contents of a tapestry.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #40
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
Got my new Arc, replacing the Vox I had for a year. I am impressed!

Getting used to the tapestries: I somehow accidentally created multiple tapestry levels. I don't seem to be able to move an icon from a tapestry to a higher level. So I deleted the items in the tapestry that I created, and its parent, and ITS parent (don't know how I did all that without a "Create tapestry" command -> perhaps because in moving an icon, I dragged it on top of another?). So I needed to repin all the icons. (Bonus: Found the "Currently reading (small)" Kobo widget!)

Tapestry editing comments:
* it would be nice to be warned about creating new tapestries - suggestion: a dialog to give it a name, with a cancel button that would not create it
* it would be VERY nice to be able to move it out of the current tapestry to the parent - suggestion: long-click would provide a "move up" as well as "trash" option. With confirmation dialog.
* an option to collapse all contents of a tapestry to its parent - suggestion: in the same dialog as "Rename Current Tapestry"
* it's hard to navigate wide tapestries. It would be nice if the scroll to the right or left would stop more easily on the next screen-width of items.
* it would be nice to shove them out of the way as you move an item with the cursor (a la iOS home screen editing). It's hard to organize the contents of a tapestry.
1. Coming.
2. Long press and drag the item to top of the screen. Wait a few seconds and it will take you into the parent Tapestry.
3. We tested that way and the snapping type of scrolling was not well received.
4. Working on it.

Hope that helps!
Old 12-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #41
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
1. Coming.
2. Long press and drag the item to top of the screen. Wait a few seconds and it will take you into the parent Tapestry.
4. Working on it.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the quick reply! Glad to know I can change hierarchy of an icon.

But - the "snapping type of scrolling" is used in the apps main page, as well as the widgets main page, no? In any case, with the variable size of the widgets contained in tapestries I'm finding it hard to position where I want it (maybe a trick I don't know?). It seems to slide right by the middle screens to the last when I have 3 or more screens ... shouting "wait, stop" has no effect, I've found. Tapping might work, but is there a better way?
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #42
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
Obviously not enough outside testing was done. Haven't met a single person yet (among my family and friends, anyways, when showing off my new toy) who liked having to slowly drag the Tapestry screens, instead of the normal quick swipe to the next page of icons/widgets, so as to not have the next group of icons/widgets get pushed offscreen. Tapestries were a decent idea - but the implementation is quite bad from a quality of life perspective.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #43
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Obviously not enough outside testing was done. Haven't met a single person yet (among my family and friends, anyways, when showing off my new toy) who liked having to slowly drag the Tapestry screens, instead of the normal quick swipe to the next page of icons/widgets, so as to not have the next group of icons/widgets get pushed offscreen. Tapestries were a decent idea - but the implementation is quite bad from a quality of life perspective.
I'm sorry you feel that way.

Tapestries are meant to be free flowing canvas's for people to add their content to. The Page type of scrolling is the standard type of navigation that is also limited to how many items you can add.

I can't and won't argue with your personal opinion of how it was implemented I can only answer peoples questions and listen to concerns.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #44
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! Glad to know I can change hierarchy of an icon.

But - the "snapping type of scrolling" is used in the apps main page, as well as the widgets main page, no? In any case, with the variable size of the widgets contained in tapestries I'm finding it hard to position where I want it (maybe a trick I don't know?). It seems to slide right by the middle screens to the last when I have 3 or more screens ... shouting "wait, stop" has no effect, I've found. Tapping might work, but is there a better way?
The app/widget drawer is a stock Android implementation.

Positioning items is very sensitive. If you move the item to the side of the screen slowly the tapestry will scroll slowly. If you quickly drag it to the side the Tapestry will scroll quickly.

The same can be said for scrolling in general, if you lightly flick the screen will scroll nice and slowly. You don't need to flick like regular Android devices or Apple devices.

You can literally only scroll the width of one icon or the whole tapestry depending on speed and length of swipe.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #45
ibabob
ibabob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc
There is one thing I found I think is a bug, when dragging an icon from the App Drawer to the home screen, there is a "App Info" label at the top that on other Android device, can be used to drag the Icon on and get the options of the app like Unstalling, Force Stop, etc. (In jelly bean this label turns to uninstall after a couple seconds).

Anyway, I can't seem to get the icons to reach it, I go over it and it never turns red (or the Kobo aqua) so its unusable.

Thanks
ibabob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ama, developers corner, kobo arc