Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Max number of Ebooks? Frustrated!!

Hi!

I have a KT with a miscrosd card. I added 74mb of books to it this morning, none of which came through with covers, despite having covers on them. I deleted them off the card, but the KT didn't delete them out of the database. They showed up in the library as blank covers, and when I touched them it gave me a statement of "Oops! This is no longer readable" (or something like that). When I used the touch screen to move between the homes screen and library, it kept freezing. So I bit the bullet and did a factory restore, upgrading the firmware from .12 to .16, and cleared the mircosd card.

I started adding my books back on the SD card, between 35 to 100 mg at a time, letting it digest each time I added a batch. I checked the covers, no problems. I added the last batch of books, 88.4mb (269 files), and NONE of them came through with covers. These were a mix of things I had on the card for months with no problem, and three folders of things I tried to put on this morning. Again I tried to delete them out of the card and database, and despite being off the card they still showed up in the database.

Again I did a factory restore, reinstalling the new firmware and wiped the sd card. This time I added ONLY those 269 books that didn't show up properly, thinking maybe one of them is corrupt. They processed with no problem, covers showed up.

If all the books would load properly, there would be 1574 ebooks (758mb) on the card, not even a gig's worth of books. All the books have been reformatted through Calibre, dragged and dropped onto the SD card through the Kobo being attached to the laptop.

Is there a limit to the number of books Kobo can handle? I don't want to spend all night doing what I did all day, which is add ebooks and let it process only to find it not processing the books correctly and not be able to remove them from the database. I have NEVER not been able to remove the books from the database when I removed them from the card.

Thanks for any help, I'm contemplating turning it inti a Frisbee.
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
mconh
Connoisseur
mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, AuraHD, AuraH20
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
Hi!

I have a KT with a miscrosd card. I added 74mb of books to it this morning, none of which came through with covers, despite having covers on them. I deleted them off the card, but the KT didn't delete them out of the database. They showed up in the library as blank covers, and when I touched them it gave me a statement of "Oops! This is no longer readable" (or something like that). When I used the touch screen to move between the homes screen and library, it kept freezing. So I bit the bullet and did a factory restore, upgrading the firmware from .12 to .16, and cleared the mircosd card.

I started adding my books back on the SD card, between 35 to 100 mg at a time, letting it digest each time I added a batch. I checked the covers, no problems. I added the last batch of books, 88.4mb (269 files), and NONE of them came through with covers. These were a mix of things I had on the card for months with no problem, and three folders of things I tried to put on this morning. Again I tried to delete them out of the card and database, and despite being off the card they still showed up in the database.

Again I did a factory restore, reinstalling the new firmware and wiped the sd card. This time I added ONLY those 269 books that didn't show up properly, thinking maybe one of them is corrupt. They processed with no problem, covers showed up.

If all the books would load properly, there would be 1574 ebooks (758mb) on the card, not even a gig's worth of books. All the books have been reformatted through Calibre, dragged and dropped onto the SD card through the Kobo being attached to the laptop.

Is there a limit to the number of books Kobo can handle? I don't want to spend all night doing what I did all day, which is add ebooks and let it process only to find it not processing the books correctly and not be able to remove them from the database. I have NEVER not been able to remove the books from the database when I removed them from the card.

Thanks for any help, I'm contemplating turning it inti a Frisbee.
You have maxed out on the allowed image files. Prior to loading the "last" 269 books disconnect the Kobo from Calibre. Close Calibre. Reboot the Kobo and connect to computer. Go to the images folder on the Kobo.
Keep:
- N3_LIBRARY_FULL.parsed 355 by 530
- N3_LIBRARY_GRID 149 by 233
- N3_LIBRARY_LIST.parsed 60 by 90

delete every other image file. Disconnect and reboot.

You will then be able to load the 269 books via Calibre and they will have image files
mconh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I concur.. At least delete all files that have "N3_FULL" since they take up about or more space than the other 3-4 image files combined that the KT creates for each ebook.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
VirgoGirl
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconh View Post
You have maxed out on the allowed image files. Prior to loading the "last" 269 books disconnect the Kobo from Calibre. Close Calibre. Reboot the Kobo and connect to computer. Go to the images folder on the Kobo.
Keep:
- N3_LIBRARY_FULL.parsed 355 by 530
- N3_LIBRARY_GRID 149 by 233
- N3_LIBRARY_LIST.parsed 60 by 90

delete every other image file. Disconnect and reboot.

You will then be able to load the 269 books via Calibre and they will have image files
Thank you so much for the reply! It's good to know that it's not something that I have done that's causing it to happen.

A couple of further questions, though, if that's okay:
1) I don't use Calibre to load books on the card, I drag and drop files onto the card through the KT. Would I still do the same thing as you suggested with Calibre?
2) When I deleted the files off the card, the ones without covers, the files still showed up in the Library as being there. I couldn't find a way to remove them (although now that I think of it I didn't try "delete" from the library list, I am an idiot) other than reformatting the KT. Is there a way if "delete" doesn't work?
3) I noticed this firmware update seems to be slower to read my sideloaded library than .12 did, and often I had to tap more than 1 time to get it to respond to my request, often opening a completely different book or screen. Is that a firmware issue or maybe due to too many books on the reader?
4) Would removing all the covers prevent this from happening? Is it possible not to have covers?

My apologies for all the questions, I'm having a hard time finding any information out on how the KOBO actually functions.

I'm thinking of only keeping around 600-1000 books on the card, like the first two books of a series, storing the rest on several CDs/DVDS for safekeeping (multiple copies of the same data) until I want to read them.

I really do VERY MUCH appreciate the replies to this thread, I was having such a horrible time thinking I messed up KT somehow, or it was faulty and being 6 months old I don't if it could be replaced without a huge hassle. You've eased my mind, and lately that's a big thing.

GROUP HUG!!!
Old 02-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
mconh
Connoisseur
mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, AuraHD, AuraH20
Quote:
Thank you so much for the reply! It's good to know that it's not something that I have done that's causing it to happen.

1) I don't use Calibre to load books on the card, I drag and drop files onto the card through the KT. Would I still do the same thing as you suggested with Calibre?

Yes.

2) When I deleted the files off the card, the ones without covers, the files still showed up in the Library as being there. I couldn't find a way to remove them (although now that I think of it I didn't try "delete" from the library list, I am an idiot) other than reformatting the KT. Is there a way if "delete" doesn't work?

A factory reset and start over with an empty card is best. This starts you off with a clean data base.

3) I noticed this firmware update seems to be slower to read my sideloaded library than .12 did, and often I had to tap more than 1 time to get it to respond to my request, often opening a completely different book or screen. Is that a firmware issue or maybe due to too many books on the reader?

I stayed with firmware 14 due to all the posted problems with Micro SD cards. 14 while not perfect works well with my MSD card.

4) Would removing all the covers prevent this from happening? Is it possible not to have covers?

I do not know the answer to that.

My apologies for all the questions, I'm having a hard time finding any information out on how the KOBO actually functions.

I'm thinking of only keeping around 600-1000 books on the card, like the first two books of a series, storing the rest on several CDs/DVDS for safekeeping (multiple copies of the same data) until I want to read them.

Keeping fewer books on the reader improves performance, in my opinion.

I really do VERY MUCH appreciate the replies to this thread, I was having such a horrible time thinking I messed up KT somehow, or it was faulty and being 6 months old I don't if it could be replaced without a huge hassle. You've eased my mind, and lately that's a big thing.

GROUP HUG!!!
I hope the above helps.
mconh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
touring
Connoisseur
touring began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconh View Post
You have maxed out on the allowed image files.
Just wondering exactly what is the maximum number of image files then?
touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

GROUP HUG!!!
1)I rarely use Calibre myself preferring to load ebooks directly into the KT connected via USB. Simply find the images folder and delete the N3_FULL versions of the image files at least to free up lots of space.

2)Hmm.. I've never encountered that problem. When I delete ebooks off the SD card I usually have the KT connected via USB and access the SD card that way. When I disconnect it processes the changes and there are no 'ghost' files.

3&4) I have discovered that my KT is much faster without the excess image files, but I have also noted that when flipping through the library that pages that have generic cover pages (blank) take longer to come up. In comparison pages that have all ebooks with cover pages comes up quickly. I am guessing that the KT is doing a search for coverpages when the 'page' is changed and timing out thus the delay in displaying a page that has no ebooks with coverpages. So personally I would recommend AGAINST erasing all the coverpages. When I think about it, the fact that some of my ebooks don't have coverpages may be making it more sluggish. I'll have to try unloading and reloading the books in my library that don't show a coverpage due to having loaded them in the past with my image folder at its limit.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
VirgoGirl

Thank you again for the responses, they really are helping!

That ghost file concerns me. I haven't had the problem before where it doesn't delete out of the database when I delete it from the sdcard. I don't know if it has to do with it not having the cover processed so it hangs on to it, or if it's a fault in the firmware. But I changed my firmware from .12 to .16 and it still happened, so it's a puzzle. I will admit that I didn't even think of using "delete from library" on the KT, I don't use that unless it's a Kobo book. That may work if it happens again.

What I've gleaned from reading the pages here is that everyone's KT seems a little quirky in some respect, maybe this is a quirk of mine. It's annoying, but maybe I'll just have to keep less than 1300 books on it at one time. Honestly, I'll never read most of what I have, but I liked having the choice at my fingertips. There's always the Ipad (bleh).

Again, thank you for the replies, it's helping a lot with figuring this out!
Old 02-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
VirgoGirl

Update:

I deleted all the books off the SD card - the 269 files that I had put there to test the covers. I ejected the reader, they were still displayed in the library when it got back to the main screen. I clicked on a book cover, again it gave me the "Oops!" message. I clicked on the three lines next to the title in the library screen, hit "delete" and was able to delete it out of the library list. I did that to a second book, and it worked as well. Right after I deleted the second title, the KT went to the Home screen and ALL the 269 book titles were gone. Maybe it just needed some time to process, but this firmware seems to be really really slow - slower than .12.

So it seems that it's not checking the card updates until it's forced to do so. I really don't want to use the internal memory to store my books, but it seems like that may be the only way for it to recognize any changes quickly.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
VirgoGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
3&4) I have discovered that my KT is much faster without the excess image files, but I have also noted that when flipping through the library that pages that have generic cover pages (blank) take longer to come up. In comparison pages that have all ebooks with cover pages comes up quickly. I am guessing that the KT is doing a search for coverpages when the 'page' is changed and timing out thus the delay in displaying a page that has no ebooks with coverpages. So personally I would recommend AGAINST erasing all the coverpages. When I think about it, the fact that some of my ebooks don't have coverpages may be making it more sluggish. I'll have to try unloading and reloading the books in my library that don't show a coverpage due to having loaded them in the past with my image folder at its limit.
So you have "over the limit of book covers" on your reader and haven't had any issues other than a slower KT? Your sig says that you're working off the internal memory, not a sideloaded card, that may be the difference between yours and mine.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #11
Xennex1170
Addict

Quote:
So you have "over the limit of book covers" on your reader and haven't had any issues other than a slower KT? Your sig says that you're working off the internal memory, not a sideloaded card, that may be the difference between yours and mine.
Actually the book total includes books on both my KT and the SD card. The books on the SD card only affect the KT onboard memory by having bookcovers stored in the images folder. As far as I can tell every book I've placed on my KT after I cleaned the folder comes up with a coverpage. Maintaining the images folder may be the best way to keep the KT running relatively efficiently. I also noticed recently that since most of my 'recent reads' have coverpages, since they usually are the books I've recently installed, it has made a noticeable difference in the response time when using the Home menu and selecting Library. In the past I would have to wait and then press somewhere 'neutral' like just under the air-mode/clock/sync icons for it to proceed to the next screen. Now it goes by itself after a 2-3sec pause.

If the devs ever get around to separating the book count for onboard vs SD loaded and maybe the space used/free on the SD card I'll add that to my sig.