Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Kindle for IOS updated.

• Continue downloading books while the app is in the background on iOS 4 devices.
• Access millions of free and out-of-copyright books from Project Gutenberg, Internet Archive, and other online sources. Open supported files from Safari and Mail or use File Sharing in iTunes to transfer files to your Kindle app.
• Improved image zoom
• New book indicator
• Bug fixes

I was able to upload my mobi books into my iPad by going into iTunes, selecting Apps, Then selecting Kindle under File Sharing and then add the books I wanted. Not sure if I would use it over the iBooks app but it is nice to be able to find the same page in a book using the location.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Works great for downloading books from this site. Just click on the book and select Open in Kindle.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Works great for downloading books from this site. Just click on the book and select Open in Kindle.
That is WAY cool!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Wow, great update for the Kindle! Sideloading via iTunes plus opening supported files finally. Can't wait to use this with Dropbox.
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:13 AM   #5
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Yes, just received this update as well - finally an app that will support all those non-DRM Mobi books collected over the past 8 years! I avoid Amazon/Kindle as much as possible, but this app update is a real bonus for iPad users. Well done Amazon (did I just say that?)!
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 03:10 AM   #6
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Gosh - what a nice spot. I downloaded it as part of a number of updates and entirely missed the bit of being able to sideload your own books. Excellent update.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:22 AM   #7
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
I use the Kindle app for most of my purchased reading and while I love Stanza it was a pain having to split my collection between two apps. (Especially for stuff I buy from Webscriptions). I keep my Calibre library in Dropbox so it was nice to see that open in Kindle option appear for mobi books

I am surprised there's still no update for magazines and newspapers though. It would have been nice to get an automatic delivery of Asimov's
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:15 AM   #8
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Awesome update. Love the 'Open in Kindle' feature.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

having just moved into the "darkside", as in actually owning and admitting to owning an aPpLe device [completely seduced by this danged Touch 4th gen]. I am loving this Kindle app for sure and it's ability to just drag in any of my existing Kindle books.

I am also LOVING that my Kiindle books formatted for my DXG read fantastically, well that mmight be just a tad overstating it, but they read nicely on the Touch. I use it for my books which absolutely need color to be useful. And as I am not ready to shell out over $700 for a vastly overpriced iPad, this is a nice way to live with a combo of the DXG and the ability to also read those books which need color quite nicely thanks to the very impressive "Retina" display.

So yup, another YEA for the K4iOS from this ID.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
sachinwalia
Connoisseur
sachinwalia began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle SO
Does it support bookmark syncing for sideloaded books?
sachinwalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:46 AM   #11
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

you can either drag and drop pooks into iTunes or add them to the iTunes library via a sort of "import" function. Works really nicely as I used it yesterday for the, obviously, first time.

My thing is I don't care for the full-justification on the K4iOS reading software. Otherwise it's not bad, not perfect (O am not thrilled with K4PC version either.)

I wish there was a port of FBReader for iOS. That's my fav reading software.

I wish too that there was an auto-scroll feature which Mobireader had on my old PD running PalmOS 5.x or was it for versions of PalmOS after 3.2 or something like that. Auton scroll is a super feature.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:15 AM   #12
zhleonix
zhleonix doesn't litterzhleonix doesn't litterzhleonix doesn't litter

Device: iPodTouch, Android
Finally it is updated again to fix crash issue.
zhleonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:29 AM   #13
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
My thing is I don't care for the full-justification on the K4iOS reading software. Otherwise it's not bad, not perfect (O am not thrilled with K4PC version either.)
I don't see any problems with the justification - are you having issues with the way words are spaced/displayed, etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
I wish there was a port of FBReader for iOS. That's my fav reading software.
You, me, and probably thousands of others!

I am really hoping FBReader does eventually get an iOS app - but it may be only a jailbreak variant, as there may be issues getting it into the official app store - depends on how it is implemented. But even getting a port would be great - how can we try to request this, any ideas?
Old 01-31-2011, 07:44 AM   #14
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
I have not heard of FBReader. What makes it special? Why would there be problems getting it into Appstore?

This latest update doesn't break anything for sideloaded books right? Like Whispersync.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #15
orwell2k
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
I have not heard of FBReader. What makes it special? Why would there be problems getting it into Appstore?

This latest update doesn't break anything for sideloaded books right? Like Whispersync.
Poor wording on my part. Nothing inherent in FBReader would cause a problem with the Appstore, as there are many reader apps available (Kindle, Bluefire, readMe, Stanza, etc), just depends on what the developers want the app to do and whether that meets the Apple policies. My point is, until someone makes the app and submits it we won't know. And a well-known versatile and free video app for computers (VLC) was removed from the app store over licencing issues.

Unless the FBReader developers (or some ultra-keen software guru) take the time to make an iOS version, we won't have a decent FB2 reader on the iPad. I like readMe for functionality, but having compared it to Bluefire and even the Kindle app I am of the opinion that the text display is quite poor in readMe. Hence there are currently no decent FB2 apps for the iPad (unless someone has another they have found?).

What makes FBReader so special is that on eInk devices it provided an excellent reader for many formats (like FB2, Mobi, Doc, RTF, TXT, etc.) and an alternative to ADE for ePub (although the handling of ePub formatiing is still not that great). FBReader users tend to have at least a passing familiarity with FB2 as a format, and for reading straight eBooks/novels it is a great format (IMHO).