Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-15-2010, 08:12 PM   #16
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ah... that does pose a problem. Perhaps you can get ADE running in Wine...

BOb
Looks like it will work with Wine.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=701191

I'll download it from my windows machine at work tomorrow, and install it at home and report back. but first to go get that book I mentioned earlier....

thanks, bob, I wouldn't have thought of running it through wine.
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #17
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsa View Post

I'll download it from my windows machine at work tomorrow, and install it at home and report back. but first to go get that book I mentioned earlier....

Just make sure you create an Adobe ID and authorize your PC to it before you buy the book. Otherwise ADE will create an anonymous ID that will tie the book to your PC. You will also need to connect your reader to the Windows PC and authorize it to that Adobe ID also.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:21 AM   #18
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:

I run Karmic, and can confirm that ADE runs fine out of the box with wine 1.2 from the repos. Install, authorize and just download .acsm-files, they will even open in ADE by default. I haven't tried the Reader Library software, I authorized my reader at work.

As pilotbob says, make sure to get an Adobe login and authorize your computer with it before you buy anything or your money is basically wasted, I can't believe that they didn't make this clearer in ADE.

As for connecting to the device I can highly recommend Calibre, it integrates well with my prs-600. Get the binary install from here to get the latest version: http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux
You can use it for uploading to the reader, but not change drm-infested books (there are ways around that as well...). Good luck!
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #19
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Yeah, I found a slightly older version of ADE and was able to get it working under Wine last night. Did the authorize thing with no issues.

I've used Calibre for about a month with my Kindle 2. Really like it a lot. Makes transferring content so much easier, especially when the library gets bigger.

I'm going to purchase the eReader Daily Edition today.

Anybody have recommendations on which retailer I should use? I see that Amazon has it as well as Best Buy and CompUSA. They're all pretty much the same price.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:31 AM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Anybody have recommendations on which retailer I should use? I see that Amazon has it as well as Best Buy and CompUSA. They're all pretty much the same price.
I would go with Amazon or Best Buy. You will probably have to pay tax with Best Buy and possibly not with Amazon.

BOb
Old 03-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #21
tulsa
Zealot

Quote:
I would go with Amazon or Best Buy. You will probably have to pay tax with Best Buy and possibly not with Amazon.

BOb
Yep. I noticed the Sony site itself charges tax. I tossed one into my Amazon cart and it doesn't. I'll probably go with them.

After I get it unpacked in a week or so, I'll report back here on my experience.

Thanks everybody for helping me out!
Old 03-17-2010, 10:29 AM   #22
tulsa
Zealot

woo hoo!

woo hoo! I got my Sony eReader daily edition already! Came this morning via fed ex.
can't wait to tinker tonight!
Old 03-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
woo hoo! I got my Sony eReader daily edition already! Came this morning via fed ex.
can't wait to tinker tonight!
Nice, enjoy.

BOb
Old 03-17-2010, 10:06 PM   #24
tulsa
Zealot

Where are the epubs stored?

Well, I have to admit I'm really liking this thing. At first I thought there would be a glare problem on the screen's surface that would distract me from reading, but it turned out not to be so bad. I'm just used to the K2's virtually glare-free surface, I guess.

Calibre transferred my epubs flawlessly.

Ubuntu also puts two icons on my desktop when the reader is plugged in:
One called LAUNCHER, which looks to contain installation software for the Sony software. The other icon is called READER, which contains four folders:
database, Digital Editions, Documents, and tmp.
I would have though all my epubs that Calibre transferred would be in "Documents." But the only thing in there is the user manual. I tried show hidden files, but still no joy.

I may want to drag and drop sometimes. Does anybody know where Calibre put the epubs into the reader? For whatever reason, I may want/need to drag and drop files into the folder.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #25
kenschunk
kenschunk will become famous soon enoughkenschunk will become famous soon enoughkenschunk will become famous soon enoughkenschunk will become famous soon enoughkenschunk will become famous soon enoughkenschunk will become famous soon enough

Device: History:PRS-505, 700, Kindle-2. Current: Nook 3G, Nook Color
Quote:
You are correct... the only way to buy from the Sony eBook store is to use the software... to many peoples consternation. Which is why I would say many Sony owners here don't buy from Sony, but from BooksOnBoard.com and fictionwise.com and others.

BOb
...but that's NOT true with the PRS-900, which he was talking about. You can in fact buy directly from the Sony store on the Daily Edition device, so you don't actually need to have the software on the computer.

Now, authorizing the PRS-900, well that's a different story - I'd suspect you'd at least need Windows or OS-X long enough to do that. After that you could buy directly form the Sony store without using a computer, for better or worse.....

It isn't, however, as convenient as the Kindle, if that's what you're comparing it to. As a comparison, with the PRS-900 you can either buy using the on-device store function, or purchase using the (oh so fine) Sony/Adobe software system and then transfer to the reader using USB or a memory card. On the Kindle, on the other hand, you can do all of those except the memory card thing. Additionally you can buy on Amazon's site using any web browser, on any operating system, and have the book wirelessly sent to the associated device(s).
kenschunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:26 PM   #26
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenschunk View Post
...but that's NOT true with the PRS-900, which he was talking about. You can in fact buy directly from the Sony store on the Daily Edition device, so you don't actually need to have the software on the computer.
My mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenschunk View Post
Now, authorizing the PRS-900, well that's a different story
[/quote]

There's always a but isn't there. It just shouldn't be this hard. Someone should be able to establish and account on the Sony (or Kindle) with the device without the need for a PC.

BOb
Old 03-18-2010, 06:24 AM   #27
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
I may want to drag and drop sometimes. Does anybody know where Calibre put the epubs into the reader? For whatever reason, I may want/need to drag and drop files into the folder.
On the prs-600 Calibre arranges them by Author/Title within database/media/books on the 'Reader' disk, i.e
database/media/books/McCarthy, Cormac/The Road - Cormac McCarthy.epub

I find that I never put files there manually, haven't even tried it. Calibre manages this perfectly, and I guess that tags won't be included if you do it yourself.

I don't know how the 900 library interface is, but on the 600 tags are very handy for navigating a large library on the reader. I use author and maximum two categories, and can find any book within a couple of seconds.

About the glare: Have you seen a 600 in person? Is there less glare on the 900 than the 600? I find the glare on the 600 to be a very minor problem, but it's a selling point if I want to upgrade for other reasons.
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #28
tulsa
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Eating Duck View Post
On the prs-600 Calibre arranges them by Author/Title within database/media/books on the 'Reader' disk, i.e
database/media/books/McCarthy, Cormac/The Road - Cormac McCarthy.epub

I find that I never put files there manually, haven't even tried it. Calibre manages this perfectly, and I guess that tags won't be included if you do it yourself.

I don't know how the 900 library interface is, but on the 600 tags are very handy for navigating a large library on the reader. I use author and maximum two categories, and can find any book within a couple of seconds.

About the glare: Have you seen a 600 in person? Is there less glare on the 900 than the 600? I find the glare on the 600 to be a very minor problem, but it's a selling point if I want to upgrade for other reasons.
Thanks for the info. I'm at work at the moment, but I'll be able to check the folder thing tonight. I, too, am likely to be content to let Calibre handle to the transferring.

I've never seen a 600. I've read reviews on Amazon that the glare on the 900 is actually less of a problem than the 600 and that it was a deliberate improvement on Sony's part due to people complaining about it.

My big test will be actually purchasing books from the sony store. Probably won't do that until I do more research on how to do this with Ubuntu. (but will keep this thread updated on my experiences.)
Old 03-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #29
raac
Zealot
raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950
If I were you, I'd go the virtual machine route for Windows. In addition to running ADE, you can more easily use certain Windows-based Python scripts to "by-pass" the DRM. Following this, you'll be able to read everything on Ubuntu to your heart's content.
raac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #30
mboothe
mboothe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
When I bought my 900, I just logged into the Sony store on the device and it authorized it before I even hooked up to my computer.
mboothe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux, prs-900bc, transfer, ubuntu