Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-06-2010, 01:30 AM   #1
vega07
Enthusiast
vega07 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
Some horror recommendations please

Just read Brian Keene's "Darkness on the Edge of Town" and enjoyed it.

Can you guys recommend some good horror books? Something post-apocalyptic like "Darkness.." would be great but I'm open to other things. Your favorite zombie book would be nice too.

Thanks!
vega07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:29 AM   #2
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
A couple of good horrors that I read recently that I really liked were Scott Sigler's "Contagious" and "Infected". Not really post-apocalyptic, but the world is teetering on the brink of it if things don't work out right.

If you've never tried Richard Laymon, I highly recommend him if you've got a taste for gut-churning horror, which apparently you do if you like Keene. I'd recommend "In the Dark" as a starter just because it's the first of his that I read and it made me want more from him.

All the above are available for your Kindle, and the Laymon is pretty cheap ($6.39).

I'm sure you'll get plenty of other good recommendations, and here's a few threads worth looking into:

Zombies:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31893

Apocalypse:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16893
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69983
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:33 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Not Zombie genre but, if you haven't Steven King's The Stand or It, you are in for some very good (and scary) reads.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Darkness on the Edge of Town is a sequel of sorts to Ghost Walk, which was in turn a sequel of sorts to Dark Hollow. But if you want those you will need to be quick because the publisher won't be able to sell them for much longer.

So far my favourite Zombie book would be Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry, with Autumn The City coming a close second. I'm currently reading Dead Beat by Remy Porter, which is Ok but be warned that it has masses of mistakes in it, practically one on every page.

Also worth a look if you like ultraviolence, are the J F Gonzalez books, Survivor and Fetish, and Brian Keene's Kill Whitey.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
Shaz
Shaz began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
pauline Dunn's Flesh Stealer is a pretty good read.
Shaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The Passage
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
The Strain.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Darkness on the Edge of Town is a sequel of sorts to Ghost Walk, which was in turn a sequel of sorts to Dark Hollow. But if you want those you will need to be quick because the publisher won't be able to sell them for much longer.
Keene is reporting that he got his print rights back to his Leisure backlist (this weekend, I think), and his digital rights revert to him in December.

Horror-Mall has some DRM-free horror books available from several small press publishers:
http://www.horror-mall.com/Digital-E...p-1-c-370.html

A few of the other small presses have started experimenting with horror e-books, so there are a couple more mentioned here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95206
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #9
vega07
Enthusiast
vega07 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks guys! You are all amazing. Read The Stand already. Great book.
vega07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #10
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
Horror-Mall has some DRM-free horror books available from several small press publishers:
http://www.horror-mall.com/Digital-E...p-1-c-370.html
Yes, and they also don't mind selling them to smelly foreigners like me. I bought The Corporation from them last week. Quite expensive for an ebook, but a lot cheaper than what is apparently going to be the only book version.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:14 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega07 View Post
Can you guys recommend some good horror books? Something post-apocalyptic like "Darkness.." would be great but I'm open to other things. Your favorite zombie book would be nice too.
You might want to check out the Horror Writers Association's Horror Reading List.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:35 AM   #12
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I'm gonna guess and say this isn't wht you were looking for...but I bought it and will devour it in a little bit.

It's the wizard of oz....with zombies.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/17731

But on the flip side, if you want a fun stereotypical horror movie turned novel, I'd check out "The Killing Kind" by Bryan Smith. You can count on one hand the people that are left alive...I'm talking main characters, passer-bys etc....

Last edited by jhempel24; 09-07-2010 at 02:38 AM.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:18 AM   #13
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
You might also want to look at these horror anthologies:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...prefix=ellen+d

as well as these by Tanith Lee: Red as Blood or Tales from the Sisters Grimmer, White As Snow (Fairy Tales), and her flat earth series located at this link:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...fix=flat+earth

I have read almost all of them and they are very good.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #14
bonaldo2000
Enthusiast
bonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: prs-505
Though not strictly horror, Stephen Kings "The Dark Tower" series contains quite a lot of horror moments. Also A LOT of post apocalypse. The best books EVER in my opinion.
bonaldo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:54 PM   #15
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Yep, Maberry, Keene, Bentley Little, Sarah Langan, Alexandra Sokoloff, Sarah Gran, Stewart O'Nan (his horror stuff), William Meikle, Christopher Ransom, and if you're old school, Skipp and Spector, James Herbert, Thomas Tryon. That should keep you busy a while!

Scott
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote