Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Amazon Kindle Cover vs. Igadgitz Cover

When I ordered my Kindle Paperwhite I also ordered the Amazon cover. I liked it for it's minimalist nature. No belts, no snaps, no buttons, just a molded plastic case to slip the Paperwhite into and a magnetic clasp to hold the cover close. I really liked the megnetic on/off feature. What's not to like? The cost. $40 for a cover is a bit steep, in my opinion.

Then I saw the Igadgitz cover.
http://www.igadgitz.com/products/fin...l#.UaoAg0DVB3A

It is almost the polar opposite of the Amazon cover. I ordered one as a possible present for my sister. It has a strap for your hand when you're holding it to read and she insists on that. It also has a magnetic on/off switch. It's full of straps and snaps and velcro and thingies. It is the opposite of minimalist and amazingly one of the features I thought I'd never use has become my favorite. It has a little stand that pops out and holds your Kindle at a good reading angle on a table. I just returned from my usual Sunday afternoon brunch and my Kindle sat happily on the table with me changing pages flawlessly with a stylus while I ate. It was great and my Kindle can sit a bit farther away so I get less sauce on the screen.

Two other comments. It is PU leather which is leather, sort off. You can look it up with Google but it's a really, really thin slice of leather on a polyurethane backing. It has some appearance of leather but that's all. And, it appears to be reasonable durable.

It was from Great Britain, cost me a little less than $15 USD and arrived at my home in Mexico two weeks after I ordered it. For me, $15 versus $40 is significant.

Last edited by patrickt; 06-02-2013 at 04:33 PM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:25 AM   #2
fredced
fredced ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredced ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredced ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredced ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredced ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredced ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredced ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredced ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredced ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredced ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredced ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
That's what i love...
fredced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool bought one

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
When I ordered my Kindle Paperwhite I also ordered the Amazon cover. I liked it for it's minimalist nature. No belts, no snaps, no buttons, just a molded plastic case to slip the Paperwhite into and a magnetic clasp to hold the cover close. I really liked the megnetic on/off feature. What's not to like? The cost. $40 for a cover is a bit steep, in my opinion.

It is almost the polar opposite of the Amazon cover. I ordered one as a possible present for my sister. It has a strap for your hand when you're holding it to read and she insists on that. It also has a magnetic on/off switch. It's full of straps and snaps and velcro and thingies. It is the opposite of minimalist and amazingly one of the features I thought I'd never use has become my favorite. It has a little stand that pops out and holds your Kindle at a good reading angle on a table. I just returned from my usual Sunday afternoon brunch and my Kindle sat happily on the table with me changing pages flawlessly with a stylus while I ate. It was great and my Kindle can sit a bit farther away so I get less sauce on the screen.

Two other comments. It is PU leather which is leather, sort off. You can look it up with Google but it's a really, really thin slice of leather on a polyurethane backing. It has some appearance of leather but that's all. And, it appears to be reasonable durable.

It was from Great Britain, cost me a little less than $15 USD and arrived at my home in Mexico two weeks after I ordered it. For me, $15 versus $40 is significant.
Thanks for the info, I just ordered this one to probably replace this one that I bought when I purchased my PaperWhite.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
I ordered this for my paperwhite and have been quite satisfied. My Kindle 3 with lighted cover, whose compactness I marveled at almost 3 years ago, seems like a heavy, bulky monstrosity by comparison.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post

Thanks for posting this. It looks promising. How much thicker is this case than the official cover? Would you say that it is more than twice as thick? Also how does the weight compare, about the same or heavier? What color did you choose and how od your like it? Perhaps you could post some pics showing angles and features not shown in the add photos (i.e. velcro tab etc.)?

Last edited by Avwriter; 06-04-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Thanks for the info, I just ordered this one
The hand strap will be the best feature, or it would be to me. I may have to order one for myself.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just pulled the trigger on the brown one. I will report back when it arrives.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Igadgitz Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The hand strap will be the best feature, or it would be to me. I may have to order one for myself.
Me too concerning the hand strap, but the other thing I'm looking forward to is the fact that it opens like a book instaed of like a notepad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
I just pulled the trigger on the brown one. I will report back when it arrives.
I didn't notice that there was a brown one till after I'd already ordered the black one. Oh well.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
Avwriter
Addict

I did not notice the brown one either until the last minute. Thought it looked cool, at least in the pics. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will be to my liking.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:27 AM   #10
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
My K3 was (after years of satisfactory performance) finally damaged by a cover that had "things" attached (just a "document sleeve") to the left inner side (that would get laid onto the screen when closed). It was soft and I did not think that it would be able to damage the screen, but in the end it did. I don't want to spread alarmism, but personally, I won't buy a cover again that isn't fully flat on the surfaces that close towards the screen.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
I ordered this for my paperwhite and have been quite satisfied. My Kindle 3 with lighted cover, whose compactness I marveled at almost 3 years ago, seems like a heavy, bulky monstrosity by comparison.
i just got the same one (the "dual-color" version). i like it more than amazon's more compact original paperwhite cover. it's bulkier, but feels better when held. the one thing i've encountered is some random stand-by activation when the front cover is flipped to the back. on two occasions, with the cover flipped to the back, when i placed the kindle down on a flat surface, it would activate the stand-by mode. don't know why. this happened immediately when i placed it down. so it's not activating based on the timed setting to go into stand-by. so somehow, when the cover is flipped back, and with the magnets in just the right locations, it goes into stand-by.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:47 AM   #12
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
It's just a simple hall sensor what triggers the stand-by, it senses magnetic fields, but can't really make out which "direction" they are coming from (when moving).
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:56 AM   #13
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
It's just a simple hall sensor what triggers the stand-by, it senses magnetic fields, but can't really make out which "direction" they are coming from (when moving).
well, i kind of figured out what triggered it. the table i placed the kindle on had metal below the surface. somehow, the magnets reacted with the metal and the kindle went to sleep. after seeing this. i placed it on top of the rails of my staircase, which are wrought iron, and got confirmation that it did the same thing. somehow, the magnetic field reacts with the metal to do it.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #14
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
i just got the same one (the "dual-color" version). i like it more than amazon's more compact original paperwhite cover. it's bulkier, but feels better when held. the one thing i've encountered is some random stand-by activation when the front cover is flipped to the back. on two occasions, with the cover flipped to the back, when i placed the kindle down on a flat surface, it would activate the stand-by mode. don't know why. this happened immediately when i placed it down. so it's not activating based on the timed setting to go into stand-by. so somehow, when the cover is flipped back, and with the magnets in just the right locations, it goes into stand-by.
Hmm, I haven't run into that phenomenon. I almost pulled the trigger on the $40 Amazon case because it was supposed to be more compact, and I figured it would be better quality. I just couldn't spend the $40 though. I've been very happy with my $7 case, the quality is good and its compact enough to slip into the back pocket of a pair of pants.

I see they've raised the prices a bit. Still a great deal.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #15
Lutraa
Well Read
Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, K4B, Nook HD+, Galaxy S3
I don't like magnets: the wreak havoc with things like credit cards, room keys, and various electronic devices.

Also, for decent yet cheap Kindle covers, try buying used at Amazon or eBay. In the past month, I've bought two used K4 covers that retail new for $30-42 for $8 and $10 respectively.
Lutraa is offline   Reply With Quote