Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 01:31 AM   #1
welshrunner
welshrunner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch, Android tablet
Can Calibre Companion autolaunch Nook reader on Android?

First up, love the Calibre Companion app. So easy to use!!! Wondering if there is a way to autolaunch the Nook reader from the app. I've changed the epubs save directory in Companion to the Nook default location for sideloaded books, and if I exit Companion and open up the Nook reader, the new books show up and can be opened just fine. It's just that the option to open with Nook does not appear to be available when I select "read" from within Companion (the integration with the Sony and Moon Reader apps however works great).

Would be great to combine Companion's sorting, grouping and tagging with my favorite Android reader.

Thanks.
welshrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshrunner View Post
First up, love the Calibre Companion app. So easy to use!!! Wondering if there is a way to autolaunch the Nook reader from the app. I've changed the epubs save directory in Companion to the Nook default location for sideloaded books, and if I exit Companion and open up the Nook reader, the new books show up and can be opened just fine. It's just that the option to open with Nook does not appear to be available when I select "read" from within Companion (the integration with the Sony and Moon Reader apps however works great).

Would be great to combine Companion's sorting, grouping and tagging with my favorite Android reader.

Thanks.
Can you open your files from a file browser into nook if you cant do that calibre companion is unable to as well as nook doesn't support it.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 05:11 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Dopedangel has the right of it. CC can launch a reader only if that reader is willing to be opened. By that I mean that to be supported a reader app must advertize that it can be opened by another program.

I jumped through the country-restriction hoops (they refuse to let it be downloaded to people in France), installed the nook app, and checked what it supports. Result: it advertizes nothing. There is no way that any program can tell the app to open a book.

We might be able to change CC to add the nook app to the list of readers if the app is installed. However, if we do this, then all that will happen is that the app will start exactly as if you started it yourself. It will not find the book you clicked on in CC. To be honest I can't see much use in doing the work as it saves 1 tap, but we will see.

Last edited by chaley; 01-22-2013 at 02:50 AM. Reason: fix typo
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
welshrunner
welshrunner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch, Android tablet
Thanks for the replies. Tried opening the epubs from a file browser, and you're right, Nook doesn't show up there either.

Also agree it's not worth adding the Nook as a listed option just to save 1 click. I think this thread can be closed.

Thanks again.
welshrunner is offline   Reply With Quote