Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Did this help you decide?
Yes 3 15.00%
No 9 45.00%
N/A 8 40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Post PRS 500 vs Kindle Video

http://www.gottabemobile.com/

Nifty side by side (literally) video.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:29 AM   #2
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
Better link:
http://www.gottabemobile.com/GBM+Ink...d+To+Head.aspx

Kind of lame that they're doing the comparison with a PRS-500. They compare the screens, the page turns, the buttons...all things that have changed significantly since with the 505. They don't say anything particularly negative about the Reader, but this would be a completely different video if they were comparing the Kindle with the newer model of the Reader.
The awkward hand-offs were awkward.
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ah, looks like they compared to a 500 because that's what one of them already had. It is a shame though, a Kindle/505 comparison would have been much more interesting.

Wow, that camera work is vertiginous!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Its more of a look-see than a review, its nice to see them side by side and hear them discuss differences. This is the first person I've seen that actually prefers the large buttons on the Kindle
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
snookums
Connoisseur
snookums doesn't littersnookums doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Arrow Video Head to Head of Kindle and Reader

http://www.gottabemobile.com/GBM+Ink...d+To+Head.aspx

GottaBeMobile has a nice video showing the Kindle and the Reader(500 not 505) side by side. They seem to favor the Kindle heavily due to the connectivity. It's still definitely something you should look at if you are trying to decide between the two. They show page turning, thickness, and menus side by side.
snookums is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
There have been a few around here who like the larger buttons. I think it's interesting that she'd had the 500 for most of a year and apparently hasn't realized that she can also turn pages with the big silver button, or select menu items with the number buttons ... unless perhaps they were simply ignoring those features because they would compare less unfavorably with the Kindle's controls ....

It's hard to tell if they were genuinely biased, or just really enthusiastic.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:49 PM   #7
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

This is kind of a lame gadget website anyway...look at their page design! It's no wonder that the people who would post these videos would love the Kindle...it's the only thing that is uglier than their menu bar at the top! This is a bad website and an ugly comparison video starring ugly people with ugly, unclear viewpoints.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:59 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I chose NA because I already own a Kindle. I thought that they did a pretty decent job on that head to head as far as giving you the feel of using both devices. I think it could've been a bit more thorough on features.

On the Sony side, I don't recall them pointing out one of the biggest advantages: The Price! Yes, you're not getting all the features of the Kindle but you're paying at least $100 less. They did, however, show how much more sleek the design was and they did point out that the new version has the same screen as the Kindle. I'm not a Sony expert, but don't they also have some new software features in the 505 for stuff like content management?

On the Kindle side, they didn't show the searching and dictionary lookup but did quite a good job on showcasing the store. For me, it was the searching and lookup that sold me on the Kindle. I'm enjoying the Whispernet more than I thought I would, though. It really is amazingly convenient, especially when traveling domestically.

So while I love my Kindle and wouldn't change it for a Sony, I do feel the Sony got a bit shorted in this review.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:28 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
WOW! Can those two presenters be any more boring?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:48 PM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky69 View Post
This is kind of a lame gadget website anyway...look at their page design! It's no wonder that the people who would post these videos would love the Kindle...it's the only thing that is uglier than their menu bar at the top! This is a bad website and an ugly comparison video starring ugly people with ugly, unclear viewpoints.
Yeah. They should've gotten some prettier reviewers. They'd be much smarter I'm sure.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:49 PM   #11
spooky69
Stats:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Yeah. They should've gotten some prettier reviewers. They'd be much smarter I'm sure.
Is this sarcasm?
Old 01-18-2008, 07:05 PM   #12
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky69 View Post
Is this sarcasm?
Of course.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:00 PM   #13
PHugger
Connoisseur
PHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle 3G, Sony PRS-505
Steve Gibson and Leo LaPorte both have PRS-500s and recently just bought Kindles as well. They talk about them in a recent Security Now podcast (#123, near the beginning). They both seem to really like the new Kindle wireless features. My take is that these new features are loads of fun when you first get it and then you rarely use them again (unless you pay for subscriptions). After your inner gadget freak has had it's fill, you'll be left with just a reader. I think the Sony is hands down the better reader. The Kindle has loads more features, but the reader is just plain bugly and awkward. It looks, in comparison to the Sony, like how I imagine a Google designed iPod would look next to the Apple. The thing that attracts people who see me with my reader is the actual reading experience. The Kindle seems to be more about playing with all of the nifty built in features and less about reading. Compared to a laptop or even a good PDA, the Kindle is weak. Anyways........ Steve Gibson also wrote a very thorough Kindle review on the Amazon Kindle site. It's currently the first review (high vote getters are placed in front).

PCH
PHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:37 PM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek

I hardly ever play with the network features. I read. I like being able to look stuff up on the fly or get a new book right away. That's all I use the Internet connectivity for. The vast majority of the time, the wireless is off. As a reader it actually does work really well. The big buttons everyone complains about make it really easy to page turn quickly and seamlessly. I'm not thrilled with the look of the design but the rest of the functionality is so great, I find myself not caring. Still, when I want to look something up right now vs getting up and going to the computer interrupting the flow of my book, the Whispernet thing is sweet. The free samples combined with the ability to get the rest of the book right away is addictive.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:04 AM   #15
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Completely useless.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote