Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2012, 04:09 AM   #46
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
More weirdness.

Now that I have a 1.9.11 Touch, I deleted most of the files off the device, as there is no sense in having the upgrade update a bunch of advertising files.

Brought up the Kobo 3.0 desktop (the one just released).

Plugged the USB in to the Touch.

After setting up the account in the Touch, it started to install the 1.9.17 release. It downloaded it and installed it.

And the 1.9.17 release very nicely displays an Updating screen, so you know what it is doing. I guess they forgot about this nice feature in 2.0.0.

And finally, I have a working v1.9.17 Touch.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:38 AM   #47
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just forced a factory reset by holding down the Home button while powering on until the white LED flashing started and the Restoring screen was displayed. So the paperclick may not be necessary.

This was from a dancing squares trying to manually upgrade to 2.0.0 (which didn't work).
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #48
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Me too! I did some fancy playing with SQLite and managed to get my details into the table so it would then allow me to connect with wifi. It then proceeded to update the firmware to 1.9.17. Did a factory reset again and synced with the desktop via USB. Again it updated to 1.9.17. Don't think my playing with the sql table had anything to do with it. My guess is that Kobo finally listened and stopped pushing 2.0.0 until they get it worked out. Hurray my Kobo is back in working order!
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #49
murg
No Comment

How sad is it that we're happy that we got back to where we were two days ago.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #50
Sgtpepper
Sgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Touch
I second that!
Sgtpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #51
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Yeah!
  1. Power off
  2. paperclip
  3. hold home while quickly sliding and releasing the power switch
  4. KEEP THE HOME button depressed.
  5. 2 RED Blinks, then a rapidly flashing white. And the screen went to 'Restoring'.
  6. then release the Home button
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
And after a minute or two, a Read On screen.

Which was frozen, as in accepting no taps or home button.

Slide power switch quickly (putting into sleep mode).

Powered up, Dancing Squares for a short time, then Set Language.

And I'm back to v1.9.11!

Murg, I currently have the same problem. I took the same steps you did (what a weird and useless "read on" screen... tsk), but after a quick slide of the on/off slider, it's square dancing... do you remember how long yours took to go to setting the language?

Update: nevermind. I waited 14 and then 27 minutes for the square dancing... seventh or eighth reset did it. Two cycles of square dancing and set language appeared. So, fixed.

Update 2: Correction, not fixed at all. Still continuing the resetting fun.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 10-10-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #52
murg
No Comment

Sorry, that was a long time ago...

I think that after the factory reset, you get the Read On screen. Power off, then on. Dancing squares (normal power on) should last no more than a few minutes (less actually).

Try factory resetting again.

Do you attempt a recent update (from 2.0.0c to 2.0.4/2.1.4)?
Old 10-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #53
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Thanks murg. I was on a manually updated 2.1.1... I don't think it was the firmware problem as the update to 2.1.1 went more or less okay and I'd been using it without any problems.

I have no idea what did go wrong, but about 3-5 hours (I can't remember now) of constant re-resetting after looong square dancing it finally started up properly... Only to be faulty in all sorts of ways and not wanting to connect to the computer so I couldn't get to the disk... After another hour of resetting I finally got a proper startup with working connection to computer and was able to set up and update... only to still have a corrupted database somehow. Luckily though I had a backup and with the kobo mounting to my computer properly I could restore it. Then reset it again to have it nice and clean - that worked.

So, now it's all fixed and I'm happily using a manually updated 2.1.4. Shame I have no idea what went wrong in the first place though. Oh well!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote