Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
jlutes
Connoisseur
jlutes began at the beginning.

Device: none
gutenberg?

Would anyone be interested in the majority of the Gutenberg collection loaded in a Calibre library? If so, would you have suggestions on distribution? I'm considering torrent but if someone else has a better idea...
jlutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
havant
havant began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Paper White
I'm interested

I would be interested but I have no idea as to how it could be distributed.
havant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I see a couple of issues
What (book) format will your 'repackaged' Gutenberg be in?
Does your Library contain improved metadata, covers, books layout?
There are many former PG books that have been lovingly polished by loyal MR members in the MR Uploads section
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:29 PM   #4
jlutes
Connoisseur

Perhaps it's just waaay to late at night but I have no idea what you said theducks! "former PG books"? "loyal MR members"? "MR uploads section"?

My repackaged Gutenberg sits at at 25,693 books in either txt or epub format. It appears txt is slightly smaller than epub so I left ,those as-is. All of the pdf and rtf are converted to epub.
As for metadata, there isn't a huge amount. Title, author, and the ebook number assigned by Gutenberg in the ID. There are also a number of duplicate titles because they are filed under different ebook numbers. Find Duplicates sees 731 titles but I'm still doing some polishing.
The primary reason I am offering it is it took over 4 days of downloading following their robot rules (1 download per 2 seconds) and it contained a lot of misc...and I mean a LOT of misc. They are now, contrary to the description on their website, including audio books compressed in the stream so there is no way to filter them before download. All of the scanned books, audio books, etc. were removed which cut the total size down considerably.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Former PG books --> Books that came from Gutenburg
MR Uploads Sections --> Check out the eBooks link at the top or https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebo...&sort=dateline
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Former PG books --> Books that came from Gutenburg
MR Uploads Sections --> Check out the eBooks link at the top or https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebo...&sort=dateline
Old 08-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
If it had nice covers and good tagging and full summaries, then I would be interested. If it's just a bulk download, no. I can just download the books I want from Gutenberg myself. Yours doesn't sound 'cleaned up' enough to be of interest to me personally.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
maartencoertjens
maartencoertjens began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I would be very interested. I had the DVD torrent downloaded but calibre made them all into books with only the number as title. I.e. not very useful.
So if you upload on torrent, I'll be happy to seed it for a long time
maartencoertjens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #9
jlutes
Connoisseur

The torrent should be active.
Even with max compression, it's still over 3gb. Yes, the Gutenberg file naming system leaves a lot to be desired.

http://dl.btjunkie.org/torrent/Guten...wnload.torrent
Old 08-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
maartencoertjens

Thanks! Am downloading it but doesn't go faster than 25k/s. So don't switch your comp off too soon
Will seed endlessly!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #11
jlutes
Connoisseur

I added a second seed machine on a different network. Someone was getting up to 200kbps through it so hopefully download speeds should be increased.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #12
maartencoertjens

Thanks! It works and is a lot better than the gutenberg DVD.
Just a question, there didn't seem to be metadata.db file in the rar so I had to add all books to a new library. Which took a couple of hours
Would it not be easier to add the metadata file so that calibre can immediately open it?
Old 08-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What I have seen done for other eBook collections is a full RAR or ZIP of the entire Library directory structure; this way one can have an entire extra library of just that material, and only copy (via Calibre) the distinct books you do want in your main library.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by maartencoertjens View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlutes View Post
The torrent should be active.
Even with max compression, it's still over 3gb. Yes, the Gutenberg file naming system leaves a lot to be desired.

http://dl.btjunkie.org/torrent/Guten...wnload.torrent
Just a question, there didn't seem to be metadata.db file in the rar so I had to add all books to a new library. Which took a couple of hours
Would it not be easier to add the metadata file so that calibre can immediately open it?
I agree, you can't call it the Gutenberg Calibre Library if it doesn't have the metadata.db file. Without that file it isn't a calibre library.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-23-2011 at 10:30 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by maartencoertjens View Post
You can't leave metadata.db (and the matching books) on read only media and open it. Calibre expects to be able to write to the DB.