Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-15-2007, 08:51 PM   #1
curau
curau began at the beginning.

please help me, i can't power off

i am korean. i tried to change fonts(from English to korean).
But my prs-500 have any error. To do hard reset, i tried to power off, but prs-500 can't be done.
The description(start up.... or updating firmware..) appear.
Also prs-500 can't connect to Connect reader program.
Please help me
curau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:28 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Use the firmware update to restore to the official firmware:
http://download.sony.com/prs/prs-500...0.02.01300.exe
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2007, 01:35 AM   #3
curau

Thank you for your reply

but, i can't update firmware your indicating link.
Continuesly, power off and connection can not be acted.
Do you have other solution?
Please help me.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:39 AM   #4
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
If you can't power off, you need to do a reset. Use a bent paper clip to push into the tiny hole in the back of the reader to do the reset. You'll have to either bend the cover back in order to reach the hole (I've done it gently twice with no adverse effect on the cover) or remove the cover. Push the paperclip in far enough to feel a tiny motion of the button hidden at the bottom of the reset hole.

Then turn the power off -- the reader will restart and things should be fine.

If not, you may have to do a hard reset, but I'm sorry I don't know the sequence of things to accomplish this, not having had to do it yet.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:28 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Hard Reset instructions are available here in the Wiki.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2007, 12:51 PM   #6
curau

i can never power off

what is power off method?
First, when power off have done, can hard format be started ?
Old 05-16-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
curau

if my prs-500 can be connected to pc, i can updating for firmware.
But because of firmware error, i can't connect to pc.
please help me.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:20 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Looks like the only solution is to find someone in the USA to send it to (along with a copy of the receipt) to then send it to Sony for repair. No idea if this would be covered by the warranty or not. Looks like you are well and truly screwed otherwise.

Basically, if you are NOT in the USA then DO NOT MODIFY THE FIRMWARE as if you brick it, good luck getting it fixed.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:28 AM   #9
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by curau
what is power off method?
First, when power off have done, can hard format be started ?
The power off method is the same with a reset as when you are reading:

pull the power switch down for a second and release it.

During a soft-reset it doesn't really power off but it does restart the reader.

If this won't work for you, then I'm afraid you'll have to follow the instructions JSWolf suggested.

I hope you can get things set right on your own!
Old 05-17-2007, 05:59 PM   #10
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Also, make sure the battery is charged. If the screen is continuously displaying the same message it may not be hung, it may have a dead battery.

The wall charger, not usb charger, may work better for this.

Good luck,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:22 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you look at the charge light on near the power switch do you see an orange flashing light? My wife's reader had such when I last turned it on because the battery was almost drained. The came up with the opening screen and did not switch over to the reader main menu because it did not have enough battery life left. It's fine now that I've set it charging.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:46 AM   #12
each
Connoisseur
each has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 650/iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
Use the firmware update to restore to the official firmware:
http://download.sony.com/prs/prs-500...0.02.01300.exe
I got the same problem, damn!

the unit keeps on starting up....

but I can still connect it to my pc and the CONNECT software.

I download the firmware update to try to restore.

It says: This PRS-500 is up-to-date, didn't do any restore.

How can I get restored???
each is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:42 AM   #13
each
Connoisseur
each has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 650/iRex iLiad
Get it Back! Thanks God!

The updateVersion check blocks me from restoring 1.0.02.01300.

Unzip the firmware updater, find info about updateVersion checking from this file: ../eBookUpdater/scripts/eBookUpdaterMain.xml

Quote:
<function id="getUpdateVersion">var localPath = "../assets/updaterAssets/PRSVersion.dat" var versionPath = this.container.mergeURI(localPath).slice(7) try { var aFile = new Stream.File(versionPath) var aBuffer = aFile.toString() aBuffer = aBuffer.substring(0, 9) // remove extra byte aFile.close() return aBuffer } catch (e) { trace("\nCould not locate required PRSVersion resource!") }</function>
Wow, use txt editor to open ../assets/updaterAssets/PRSVersion.dat, here is the version info - "100201300"

Then change this number to 100201301 or even higher, it doesn't matter.

Re-connected to pc and use PRS-500 Updater to restore, it went through the version check and reintall the firmware, my Reader is woring again!!!

Anyway, the version is still in 100201300 from Reader's Settings after restore.

I must say I am so happy that it saved my Reader and saves my money, Sony will charge $79.99 for the initail labor portion of repair, maybe more for parts or labor repair!!! (if the unit was bought within 90 days, repair maybe free, not sure, just maybe)

Last edited by each; 05-18-2007 at 02:49 AM.
each is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:43 AM   #14
dhbailey
Guru

Congratulations on getting your reader working again! What a relief that must be. I've only had my reader for 6 weeks, but I already can't imagine being without it.

I am reading Project Gutenberg books which just aren't available in any other format (I don't feel like printing them out!) and I don't have any desire to go back to reading on my Palm Tungsten T5, not after this delightful reading experience on the Sony Reader, so if anything happens to mine, I'll be buying a second one to have as a backup! I sure hope that doesn't become necessary, though!
Old 05-18-2007, 08:40 AM   #15
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by curau
if my prs-500 can be connected to pc, i can updating for firmware.
But because of firmware error, i can't connect to pc.
please help me.
I had the same. It didn't start the USB util. Try to connect it to USB and then soft reset the reader. For me that worked and after some time it wend into the USB mode. After that use the method "each" is describing.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote