Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 09-28-2008, 05:42 AM   #1
Randall679
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
Randall679 began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook, Softbook 250e
Cool The Softbook 250e: The Model A of Ebooks?

G'day,

Maybe it's genetic. My Dad owns a Model A Ford. And now I'm the proud owner of a Softbook 250e.

I know this is the grandfather of the ETI-1, but I kind of like the big screen and buttons ... (Fat fingers).

I also am a Mac Head ... have been since 1984 ... so I guess that's two strikes against me ... I'm kind of shut out of the virus ridden .exe club.

So are there any Softbook 250e owners who like up with a Mac running OSX 10.5.5?

Love to hear from you ...

Randall
Randall679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:33 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Can you post some pictures? I've always wanted to know what it looked like.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
oh yes, photos please ! i have an eb1150 which i love and i would love to see photos of its grandpapa.

also a full review of features and technical specs please, if it's not too much trouble. (what's that ? "work" ? "life" ? "like i've got nothing better to do" ? what could you possibly mean ?? don't you live on MR, like the rest of us ? )
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
Randall679
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

I hope you weren't thinking the SB250e was anything special ... it looks EXACTLY like the ETI-1, just not in colour and not so many bells and whistles.

Go to www.ebooktechnologies.com

They are very helpful and some of the people came along from the Softbook project. You will also find all of the photos.

Are there any more 250e users out there? I guess it's kind of like saying do you still own a Mac Plus (which I do and it still works just fine!)

I really am a "quick up taker," but I do appreciate the originals ... like my 10GB FW iPod.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
Randall679
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

Not Grandpa, More big brother ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
oh yes, photos please ! i have an eb1150 which i love and i would love to see photos of its grandpapa.

also a full review of features and technical specs please, if it's not too much trouble. (what's that ? "work" ? "life" ? "like i've got nothing better to do" ? what could you possibly mean ?? don't you live on MR, like the rest of us ? )
Bon jour ...

The Softbook 250e is now the ETI-1 ... and the ebookwise unit is a badge engineered ETI-2 ... same family tree.

Have a look at www.ebooktechnologies.com and all will be revealed, pinwheel ... including techspecs.

What arrondissement do you live in? We lived in Vincennes in St Mondi for a month while my wife studied drama. Nice berg.

RB
Old 09-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Can you post some pictures? I've always wanted to know what it looked like.
Look in the wiki

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:29 PM   #7
Randall679
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

The Softbook Family Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Look in the wiki

Dale
Thanks, Dale ...

Yes, the Softbook 250e begat the Gemstar begat the RCA begat the REB1200 and now the ETI-1 ... for enterprise users only, apparently ... military and business.

I suppose I'm loath to do a firmware update on my unit, as many blogs advise against it ... but I do like the big screen and buttons ...

... any advice out there? Are there still RES file downloads? Can I back engineer RES to IMP?

A newbie ...
Old 09-28-2008, 09:13 PM   #8
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall679 View Post
I suppose I'm loath to do a firmware update on my unit, as many blogs advise against it ... but I do like the big screen and buttons ...

... any advice out there? Are there still RES file downloads? Can I back engineer RES to IMP?

A newbie ...
I don't know if ETI supports the Softbook 250e with it's upgrade program to get online content (they don't mention your model; just the newer REB1200 and GEB2150).

The Yahoo REB1200 Group had a message recently that discussed a user's options when using the Softbook 250e; older (big) brother to the REB1200! That message can be found at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/REB1200/message/4839

There (and here) you will find some REB1200 utilities that help expand a .imp to a .res, namely unimp.exe. Check the software page of the IMP format in our wiki, namely https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/IMP_software for more programs to convert to .imp and then you can use unimp.exe and a CF card reader to do the rest.

Oh, just remembered, you are using a Mac, so be sure to get the unimp java verision in the files section of the Yahoo REB1200 group. It's more general!

I have a few grayscale .imp's made specifically for the Softbook 250e, but most REB1200 .imp's should also work.

Our upload .imp forum here has REB1200 formatted .imp's (look for _1200.imp suffix). This was an intiative I started at the beginning of 2008, though, I've had my REB1200 for almost five years!

p.s. BTW, the REB1200 discussions usually take place in the ebookwise forum, so join us there, especially if it is .imp related!

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-28-2008 at 09:32 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:47 PM   #9
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Just found an amazing discussion of the merits of the Softbook 250e and its successors, the REB1200 and REB1100.

The translated posting for those that don't read russian is here.

Has some nice pictures on the first page showing that the Softbook is a bit bigger and heavier. You win some ("bigger"), you lose some ("heavier").

p.s. the original russian posting may be found at http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4492
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0427.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	16621  
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote