Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
bhewson
bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo
Updated Cover doesn't transfer to Ereader

Hello

Brand new user of Calibre.. a tremendous resource I am still figuring out.
I have a Kobo Glo (CDN eh), some books when transferred to the reader
were missing covers. These are Epubs, no DRM. So deleted them from the
reader, updated the metadate and made a cover was there and tried again
with no luck?

When I check with the viewer option, I also do not see a cover.
I then discovered the Epub modify plug-in. By using that and the cover
update option, both the Viewer (under Win 7,IE) and when downloaded
to the Ereader work. So I have a work around but it
seems like an extra several steps when if the update/change metadata
worked as I think it should, then the plug-in should not necessary, at least for
correcting metadata/covers!

Then again, maybe I'm doing something incorrectly and if so, point me in the
right direction but my searching of past issues is what let me to the plug-in.

Many thanks.
bhewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
I have a kindle and so convert all my epubs to mobi, so I don't know if this is applicable. When I change or update a cover it is necessary to do a mobi to mobi conversion to get the cover to 'stick' and transfer to my device... perhaps it is the same with epub in that you need to do an epub to epub conversion on the books you have updated the metedata on?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@bhewson - if the epub did not originally have a cover (or if the cover is not correctly "specified" by the internal manifest files in the epub) then saving to disk/sending to device cannot insert/replace a cover for you. Other metadata can be updated, but covers are special things that require a combination of an html page, an image and certain other bits of configuration data to identify it as such.

The solution as you have found is either to use the Modify ePub plugin and its "Insert/replace cover" option (preferred solution), or to do an EPUB->EPUB conversion (not recommended).

Once either of those two actions have been performed, then if in future you change the cover in calibre the epub sent to your device will include the latest image, without you having to repeat the plugin or conversion steps. However if you want to use the calibre viewer to see the copy of the epub inside your library also with a new cover, then you will need to repeat them again.

The easiest solution to ensure every epub has a cover is to just make it part of your workflow of adding books to calibre to run the plugin along with other steps of downloading metadata etc that many of us do.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
bhewson
bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bhewson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo
Thanks for clarifying. Your explanation makes complete sense and I will
just do as you have suggested. I am just learning the program
and was supplied a number of books to use within it so its a learning process.
I have the modify Epub & Find Duplicates plugins already added. I expect as
I use it more I will find other things I didn't know I need.
A great tool however.
best regards to all.
bhewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
innogen
Member Retired
innogen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhewson View Post

When I check with the viewer option, I also do not see a cover.
I then discovered the Epub modify plug-in. By using that and the cover
update option, both the Viewer (under Win 7,IE) and when downloaded
to the Ereader work.
Could you be more specific and tell me the exact name of this Epub modify plug-in? Under which category please?

Thanks.
innogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
MooseFam5
Enthusiast
MooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Nook STR, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by innogen View Post
Could you be more specific and tell me the exact name of this Epub modify plug-in? Under which category please?

Thanks.
In the 'Plugins' option, you will find 'Modify ePub' under 'User Interface Actions plugins'. This method works beautifully. I used to do a ePub to ePub conversion just to embed the cover. I stumbled upon this trick in a MR forum post. I do this on most incoming books because I like seeing the cover as the first page.

Enjoy!
MooseFam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@innogen - it doesn't come with calibre, you have to install it using Preferences->Plugins->Get New Plugins. And it is specifically called "Modify ePub". When you install it you will be asked which toolbar(s) you want to add it to, and after then restarting calibre you will have a shiny new icon on that toolbar you selected to use it. See the Plugins subforum (specifically the sticky posts at the top) for more info about plugins.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #8
MooseFam5
Enthusiast
MooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Nook STR, Nook Tablet
@kiwidude: thanks! I'm a little embarrassed that I pointed out where the plugin was after installation but failed to mention how to find it! Oops!
MooseFam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
innogen
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@innogen - it doesn't come with calibre, you have to install it using Preferences->Plugins->Get New Plugins. And it is specifically called "Modify ePub".
Thanks for your reply. But do I have to download it from some website? If yes, what is its download link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
When you install it you will be asked which toolbar(s) you want to add it to, and after then restarting calibre you will have a shiny new icon on that toolbar you selected to use it. See the Plugins subforum (specifically the sticky posts at the top) for more info about plugins.
Can I install it on the default toolbar?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. But do I have to download it from some website? If yes, what is its download link?

Can I install it on the default toolbar?
Preferences(on the tool bar): Get Plugins...
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #11
Bobioden
Connoisseur
Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iPad rMini
I got the plugin installed and am a bit confused on how to use it. I always did the epub to epub and it works but I want to use the Modify epub plugin.

Do I find the cover I want, THEN use the plugin? I have the replace/modify cover checked, It does something them I get this pop-up.

Modify epub modified 1 ePub file(s) into a temporart location. Proceed with replacing the version in your library.
Is has the options No and Yes

So is this it? By doing this can I eliminate the epub to epub conversion?

Thanks.
Bobioden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #12
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobioden View Post
I got the plugin installed and am a bit confused on how to use it. I always did the epub to epub and it works but I want to use the Modify epub plugin.

Do I find the cover I want, THEN use the plugin? I have the replace/modify cover checked, It does something them I get this pop-up.

Modify epub modified 1 ePub file(s) into a temporart location. Proceed with replacing the version in your library.
Is has the options No and Yes

So is this it? By doing this can I eliminate the epub to epub conversion?

Thanks.
Yes thats it just press yes and your epub would have an updated cover
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #13
Bobioden
Connoisseur
Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iPad rMini
Thanks, that was exactly what I wanted to know
Bobioden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #14
innogen
Member Retired

Well, the "Modify ePub" plug-in doesn't work for me.

In Calibre I clicked to select the ebook whose cover I wished to remove.

I clicked "Modify ePub" icon the main toolbar.

A window popped up.

I clicked to check the box "Remove existing cover".

I clicked the OK button.

A dialog box popped up with the following message:

Quote:
Modify ePub modified 1 ePub file(s) into a temporary location. Proceed with replacing the versions in your library?

Yes No View log
After I clicked "Yes", the dialog box disappeared but my ebook still had the cover on it. Then it occurred to me that the ebook with the cover removed must be located in this "temporary location".

My peeves:

1. The dialog box mentioned [sic] a temporary location. Where the heck is this temporary location?

2. I clicked the "Help" in the "Modify ePub" plug-in to look for more information on this "temporary location". It's no help either.

My feedback on the plug-in: It doesn't live up to its claim. The "Help" menu is no help at all. Moreover it's not user-friendly and intuitive.

And that's why I have to post my request for more help here on this forum.

P.S.: Guess I'm not the only one who posted a request for help/clarification in using this plug-in. See post #11.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
First this thread is about adding or replacing a cover using the Modify ePub plugin. You have chosen to ensure no cover is in the book, is that what you intended?

Quote:
After I clicked "Yes", the dialog box disappeared but my ebook still had the cover on it.
What makes you think the book still has a cover? I'd make a small wager that the cover was removed from the book.

Quote:
Then it occurred to me that the ebook with the cover removed must be located in this "temporary location".
This is not correct after you said yes the book in your library should have been modified. The temp location is irrelevant after the book was modified.

Quote:
1. The dialog box mentioned [sic] a temporary location. Where the heck is this temporary location?
It doesn't matter where it is, the box was saying the plugin is ready to modify the library copy.

Quote:
2. I clicked the "Help" in the "Modify ePub" plug-in to look for more information on this "temporary location". It's no help either.
Not material to the the function of this plugin. The temp location is controlled by your OS.

Quote:
My feedback on the plug-in: It doesn't live up to its claim.
It is possible you may have run across a bug. It is also possible the book was updated and the cover removed as requested. Does the cover show in the Calibre viewer? If it does not show then the cover has been removed.

Be aware that any time you export a book via virtually any method (Save to disk, Send to device, Content server download) the metadata, including cover should be added to the book while it is being exported out of the library.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-07-2012 at 10:24 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote