Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you read as you download, or do you hoard titles for a rainy day?
I don't download new things until I finish what I've got 16 6.48%
Downloading is half the fun, he who dies with the most titles on his SD card wins 204 82.59%
Other (explain) 27 10.93%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2008, 12:16 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Do you read as you download or do you stockpile?

I just killed a good half hour trolling Manybooks.net to see what was new. And I almost made a Fictionwise order. But I don't *need* anything right now. I have about 40 unread books on my iPod Touch right now, and about 5 on my eBookwise that could not be transferred over. It seems that, while I enjoy reading the books, I enjoy *having* them just as much and for some reason it really satisfies me to have a nice little stockpile. I guess that since I *can* carry around 100 books, I feel that I ought to be fully stocked on my device so that I won't 'run out of' something to read and so that I will have many choices for whatever mood I am in when I turn it on. I mean, I might be standing in line at the bank and suddenly really want to read a space opera or something, and how would I feel then if there were not several to choose from right away? I am kidding. Or, I'm not. For some reason, the ability e gives me to carry around a hundred books if I want to is turning me into a hoarder. My logical brain knows I have plenty to read right now...

So, how about the rest of you? Do you read as you go, waiting to download new content until you've finished everything you've got already? Or do you enjoy the collecting just as much and are involved in a contest against yourself to see just how many titles you can fit on there?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:24 AM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I have about 40 classics and purchased modern books on my liseuse now. I have been rotating between downloading pdf's from my local library to reading some of the classics I have stockpiled. If I run across some titles that I want then I will download. Otherwise, I'm not a hoarder and I don't wait to finish one book before looking for another.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 01:08 AM   #3
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
I voted other. I have a modest list of 2 or 3 ebooks loaded up on the reader, and I get through those before I acquire more titles.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:17 AM   #4
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I dont have hundreds but perhaps about a dozen books in my wait list. I try not to buy new books when I still have unread books but the flesh is weak, well the grey bit of flesh behind my eyes anyway.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:58 AM   #5
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
I am a shameless hoarder of books. I have hundreds of PB upstairs and have to read at least a third of them, but still I buy more.

This habit has crossed over to my Sony Reader as well. I download as I find interesting books, far more quickly than I can read them. I already have bought lots for my reader and I'm guessing I will continue to buy as I see books that I like. I just love knowing there are all those worlds/stories waiting for me.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 03:01 AM   #6
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
I consider myself a hoarder

I think I've downloaded every mobi copy listed here on MR just because I could

Havent even started to dig into them yet... So much to read, so little time....
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:10 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have literally thousands of unread eBooks. I buy every months's Baen "Webscription" release (and have done so since they started); I've probably read around 5% of those. On top of that there are the literally thousands of PD classics from PG, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:52 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I have about 2,000 hardbacks in my collection. I guess you could call me a bibliophile, as I care about edition, condition, etc.

I also have thousands of ebooks from any number of various places.

Since only one ebook has been burned to one CD, I have thousands of CDs lying about in various states of unease, unrest. Some are in the bathroom (don't want to be caught not reading. Of course, each bathroom has its own computer.) Because I live in mythic splendor (to use a phrase from E.R. Eddison), I live a live of ease, unvisited by angst and libido. I only read, day and night, collecting, reading...reading, collecting, eating, and responding to polls. I'm a very jolly fellow.

P.S.: Of course the above paragraph is false, except for one sentence.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:01 AM   #9
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
I am most definitely a hoarder. Luckily, with ebooks the space I need is a single hard drive. Most of my books are PD from the old Blackmask site in LIT format. Which I'm supplimenting with the excellent LRF's from this site.

I think my wife would kill me if she knew how much stuff I still have at my Fathers house (Books, CDs, DVDs). I'm going to have to sneak them back piecemeal and digitise some of it (DVDs and CDs). Then off to a carboot or charity shop.
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:54 AM   #10
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Because I live in mythic splendor (to use a phrase from E.R. Eddison), I live a live of ease, unvisited by angst and libido.

P.S.: Of course the above paragraph is false, except for one sentence.

Don
That one?

I try not to hoard anything, even ebooks. In fact one of life's great pleasures is getting rid of things.
Richard Herley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:08 AM   #11
sorareader
sorareader began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Let´s say that I bite more than I can chew... It´s sort of a compulsive behaviour.
sorareader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:11 AM   #12
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorareader View Post
Let´s say that I bite more than I can chew... It´s sort of a compulsive behaviour.
As long as one doesn't end up with 9 million ebooks, 10.000 old coke cans and 94 cats. I don't see no harm in it being compulsive
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:13 AM   #13
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
I'm hoarding.
I don't even know what I've got.

Whenever I find that magic word, free, I download.
I've got the 17.000 ebooks PG DVD.
And a similar number of free music clips.

I keep them there, because I know in 6 months, when capitalism will definitively collapse, I won't have the money for the internet connection. Given the 10-years long Gigantic Depression awaiting for us, I'm pretty sure I cannot even afford a book for very long time...

So, like Aesop's ant, I hoard them all.
I'll keep a PC, a couple of CF cards, a DAP and my iLiad.
Hoping that in the dark times I will always have something to e-read.
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #14
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Herley View Post
I try not to hoard anything, even ebooks. In fact one of life's great pleasures is getting rid of things.
I used too, in the good times (I still get rid of the books I read, whether e- or p-).....
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #15
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Definitely a hoarder, possibly just carrying on from my pbook buying behaviour - it's a little to early to tell yet.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote