Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Berni
Enthusiast
Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: mio
Second library very messy

Hi. After using Calibre for many months with a library of some 5000+ books each entered individually I decided to add another library which was to be one from a file on my hard drive. Every entry in this 1800 book library is listed by author first name, surname, name of book. When I imported this 1800 book file into Calibre it came in all over the place with book titles in the author column and authors names in the title column etc. As I am looking at the task of individually altering more than half of the entries I am wondering if I have gone about this in the wrong way and is there a way of getting the Calibre library to duplicate the file on my hard drive. The reason for asking is that I have about seven other files on my harddrive with varying number of books from several hundred to several thousand that I would like to have in Calibre but not if I have to physically go in and alter every line. Can anyone give me some advice on this point please and I would sincerely appreciate any info that can be imparted. Thanks Berni
Berni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
Every entry in this 1800 book library is listed by author first name, surname, name of book. When I imported this 1800 book file into Calibre it came in all over the place with book titles in the author column and authors names in the title column etc.
If you look at the attached screenshot you'll see that Calibre's default for importing books is <title> - <author>. What you want to do is go to Preferences=>Add Books then to the Regular Expression field and enter the following:

(?P<author>[^_]+) - (?P<title>.+)

This will import Author first and then Title. ie Mercedes Lackey - Arrows of the Queen will import with Mercedes Lackey in the Author field and Arrows of the Queen in the Title field.

Hope that helps.

Beth
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CPAddBooks2.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	87508  
BookJunkieLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
Zikka
Zikka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
You can also right click on Authors to bring up "Manage Authors" and there are some options there.

As well as the above solution, I remember seeing a setting to swap Title and Author...maybe in the bulk edit metadata part?
Zikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
Berni
Enthusiast
Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Berni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: mio
Hi - thanks Beth for your help - have followed your instructions and tried another small library of about 100 books and almost all of them came in the correct manner after making the changes you suggest - the ones that did not incidentally were all .docx format and not my usual pdf epub and mobi formats. I will work towards my ultimate goal of a library for each genre but add books in small increments instead of a much larger number I tried originally as I can correct or convert them easily when dealing with 10 or 20 at a time. I appreciate your help and I have discovered some aspects of Calibre which I did not know existed - I love this program but have been guilty of not delving into the preferences because the original use I had for the program worked from the beginning. Thanks once again. Cheers. Berni
Berni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
No problem. After two years there are things I'm *still* learning about this great program. Generally though I don't recommend playing with the preferences until you're familiar with how the default settings work. Knowing how the defaults respond first gives you a better understanding and appreciation of what you can change in the Preferences.
BookJunkieLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert