Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-02-2015, 11:41 AM   #16
bambuko
Connoisseur
bambuko began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo mini, Kobo Clara HD
I am learning - thank you
BTW, why was it missing from the original .sh ? and should it be updated?
or... was this problem particular and unique to me and linux that I am using?
bambuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:45 AM   #17
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I think the problem is it was ported inefficiently from a Windows batch file. It also tests for the presence of an overridden metadata.db using "-d" (if exists and is directory).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #18
bambuko
Connoisseur

I guess the people likely to use it, simply modify it without fuss?

however "inefficiently" it was ported (and I am totally not qualified to judge it) - at least it works and provides me with Calibre Portable for linux, whereas there is no such beast officially...
Old 02-02-2015, 02:26 PM   #19
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess they do. Dunno how popular doing so is, though...

I say inefficient because I suspect whoever wrote it is more used to Windows/batch than linux/bash -- fair enough, I suffer the opposite problem.

Personally, I would have calibre installed to the respective computers and simply portablize the config_dir and library folders.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:36 PM   #20
bambuko
Connoisseur

This is the only script available as far as I know and not being able to create better one I use it gratefully (thank you itimpi)

I guess what you are suggesting (i.e. "... I would have calibre installed to the respective computers and simply portablize the config_dir and library folders...") is possible as well, but I like the idea of truly portable usb drive with all my books and calibre, that can be plugged into any linux machine and play while I am away from base.
Advert
Old 02-02-2015, 07:38 PM   #21
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

True... but I only use calibre portable even on Windows, since I cannot install stuff on the occasional Windows computers I use.

Then again, I also don't bother with portableizing calibre's library folders across linux computers (though it is backed up on the flashdrive ) in favor of doing it with Dropbox and similar solutions.

... And just for fun, I gave a shot at updating it.

I added a few tricks like offering a list of directories to check for (it should use the first directory that exists) and updated to proper bash-isms.

https://github.com/eli-schwartz/cali...re-portable.sh
Old 02-03-2015, 05:44 AM   #22
bambuko
Connoisseur

Thank you!
Old 02-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #23
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

After you have the chance to play around with it, tell me what you think.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:36 AM   #24
bambuko
Connoisseur

I would like to try local metadata database with books stored on a network share, but I must first concentrate on my other problem and that involves learning a fair bit for myself as well so a lot on my old head at the moment
I will definitely report back.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #25
bambuko
Connoisseur

My "other problem" is taking time, so I had a quick go trying your script.
First set it up with calibre in /opt and library on NAS drive - no problem at all.
The only thing that confused me slightly was metada directory - but that's probably me being thick and slow.
Need to try harder.
And of course with another calibre on usb hdd in portable mode - easy - everything runs sweetly.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #26
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

That is just for overriding the location of metadata.db -- it was in the original script so I left it in. Unless you create it it is ignored, so why not?

It allows you to store the metadata.db on the local HDD/SSD for faster performance.

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cust...ment-variables
Quote:
CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH - allows you to specify the full path to metadata.db. Using this variable you can have metadata.db be in a location other than the library folder. Useful if your library folder is on a networked drive that does not support file locking.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:52 PM   #27
bambuko
Connoisseur

Don't underestimate capacity of ignorant newb to be confused
I know what I am hoping to achieve with this specified location of metadata.db, just don't know how to do it (sorry) - clearly senior moment...
I have moved metadata.db from original library location to local directory as specified in the script and it all seems to be happy!

BTW interesting thing:
when installed, calibre creates /opt/calibre directory
unless I change it to /opt/Calibre the message I get when trying to run it - there is no calibre file or directory (or something to that effect)

Last edited by bambuko; 02-03-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:09 PM   #28
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

You can move the metadata.db from LIBRARY_DIR into CalibreMetadata/ -- that should do it.

You are supposed to copy the contents of /opt/calibre into the BIN_DIR, of course.
On second thought, that is a good point, all these titlecased directories are copied verbatim from the batch script, where it is customary to title/uppercase things I believe.

OK, fixed. Now it will even print out the command to install the binaries in the right portable location (only if it couldn't find any).
Old 02-03-2015, 06:28 PM   #29
bambuko
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
...You are supposed to copy the contents of /opt/calibre into the BIN_DIR, of course. ...
I thought it was taken care during installation process by symlinking all "the needful" from /opt to /usr/bin, like so:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
...OK, fixed. Now it will even print out the command to install the binaries in the right portable location (only if it couldn't find any).
I am off to have a look at it
Old 02-03-2015, 06:35 PM   #30
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Nope, that is the one that gets installed to the system. The symlinks go in /usr/bin/ which is local to the computer -- so you should end up using the fallback to system path route.

If you want calibre "installed" into the portable directory's BIN_DIR (in addition to just portableizing the CONFIG_DIR and stuff) then you need the install-to-specified-folder command.