Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2011, 05:07 AM   #1
Cameronpaterson
Addict
Cameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad, iPhone
What happens when you do a factory reset?

How much information do you lose? For example, reading life awards and stats? Books stored on your memory card? I assume - though I may be wrong - that books on a memory card would be unaffected and all reading life info which as been synched would be restored? Any info gratefully received!
Cameronpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:31 AM   #2
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
I assume the same, although I would play safe and remove the SD card before the reset.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 05:36 AM   #3
Cameronpaterson
Addict
Cameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Conor. Seems a sensible precaution. Any idea about reading life info?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:04 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I've recently told that Kobo uses the books currently on your device as the size of your library, but that any book you finish (meaning <90% read ) is reflected in "Reading Life" in your books read total regardless of whether or not they are currently on your device.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I've recently told that Kobo uses the books currently on your device as the size of your library, but that any book you finish (meaning <90% read ) is reflected in "Reading Life" in your books read total regardless of whether or not they are currently on your device.
Thanks Taming. Useful to know. But what I meant was - is reading life data which has been synchronised restored after a factory reset (when you enter your account details)?
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes. Everything magically reappears in Reading Life after a factory reset. It also magically appears on any new device or Kobo app you start using.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
Cameronpaterson
Addict

It does indeed. Thank you!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #8
JedV
Kobo Toucher
JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kobo Touch
I've done several factory resets (unfortunately) and have lost progress towards percentage based awards such as Juggernaut. Then again, I didn't sideload the books I had completed back on, that's probably why. I also saw that the 'percentage of your library read' was completely reset.

The Reading Life awards that I completed, and sync'd prior to the resets were retained.
JedV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedV View Post
I've done several factory resets (unfortunately) and have lost progress towards percentage based awards such as Juggernaut. Then again, I didn't sideload the books I had completed back on, that's probably why. I also saw that the 'percentage of your library read' was completely reset.

The Reading Life awards that I completed, and sync'd prior to the resets were retained.
Yes, I guess it stands to reason, I guess, that only synched reading life would be retained following a factory reset. Fortunately I have already completed most of the percentage-based trophies
Old 12-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Yeah I lost 65% of juggernaut last time I did a FR, I was at 96% . Hours read are totally reset.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #11
JedV
Kobo Toucher
JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Yeah I lost 65% of juggernaut last time I did a FR, I was at 96% . Hours read are totally reset.
Ouch!
JedV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I did (count 'em) three factory resets yesterday due to a misbehaving sync on a beta build. I did NOT lose total hours read or Books finished.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #13
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch, iPad3
What it that happens when I hold the power button too long and have to reregister? I did this once on my daughter-in-law's device and now once on mine. Is this a reset?
moolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Generally you have to hold the power button AND the home button at the same time (after having held the power button down for 15 seconds and then dong the dual press) for it to invoke a reset. Odd.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #15
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch, iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Generally you have to hold the power button AND the home button at the same time (after having held the power button down for 15 seconds and then dong the dual press) for it to invoke a reset. Odd.
So, this was a reset? Well, I didn't touch the home button and the power button at the same time but strange things happen to computers and devices when they fall into my clutches!

Interestingly, I ended up with the latest update right after this happened.
moolyn is offline   Reply With Quote