Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-07-2007, 03:01 PM   #1
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Publisher steals Google's laptops to make a point

As reported over on Engadget, a book publisher thought he would get across his frustrations at Google's book scanning policy by stealing a laptop from them at a trade show. Here's the story from the horse's mouth: http://charkinblog.macmillan.com/Per...4d2fd6ed3.aspx

So... I vote that this guy doesn't get it. And chose a bad way to try to make his point...
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:57 PM   #2
bojan
Enthusiast
bojan is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
I bet you, if any of us would set up his own "digital library" and offer a search service, you would end up in jail in no time, but if you are Google, it's perfectly legal.
bojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2007, 07:39 PM   #3
branko
Connoisseur
branko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enough

Device: Palm Zire
Since public libraries have been indexing books for ages without "going to jail," I find it highly doubtful that anyone else would.
branko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Someone doesn't understand the difference between atoms and bits....
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Here's Lawrence Lessig's well-thought-out (as always) response to the publisher's actions : http://www.lessig.org/blog/archives/003791.shtml
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2007, 04:41 PM   #6
cherdman
Enthusiast
cherdman began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X51v
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle View Post
As reported over on Engadget, a book publisher thought he would get across his frustrations at Google's book scanning policy by stealing a laptop from them at a trade show. Here's the story from the horse's mouth: http://charkinblog.macmillan.com/Per...4d2fd6ed3.aspx

So... I vote that this guy doesn't get it. And chose a bad way to try to make his point...
I have to say this makes me laugh pretty hard. You gotta hand it to those guy(s). LOL
cherdman is offline   Reply With Quote