Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 04-27-2009, 01:13 PM   #1
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Cover Image Display

I usually use the fb2 format for my books, but thought I'd give ePub a go. I've installed calibre and used it to convert a couple of .lit books to ePub. Text/content wise everything looks fine, but the first page is missing the cover.

I've tried converting using both the default cover that came with the .lit as well as an alternative downloaded via calibre, neither will display when opening in FBReader in OI. (Also cool reader doesn't open any of the epub books, screen flashes a few times then goes back to the bookshelf, not sure if CR supports epub though?)

If I view the lit or epub files in calibre, the covers do display. So I'm not sure if this is a problem with calibre creating an epub file that OI doesn't like, a bug in OI, or just me doing something stupid?

Any help appreciated.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Did you try opening the ePubs in Desktop FBReader? I have noticed that images larger than the available screen area don't display with FBReader under OIP but they do under the Desktop version (I'll submit a bug report once I have a distributable example). It this were a native ePub, the other possibility is that the cover uses SVG which isn't supported by FBReader. Note that there is nothing special about the cover page of an ePub, it is just the 1st page of the ebook.

What I normally do with LIT ebooks is extract the OEB using "ConvertLIT GIU", ZIP the directory and rename it .oebzip. FBReader will open this as an OEB ebook. However, Calibre's LIT to ePub should produce a very similar ebook.

Note that FBReader does not display the cover of a MOBI, but it does display the cover of an OEB (from LIT).
Old 04-28-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

.oebzip was the format I tried before epub, OpenInkPot froze several times when trying to read a book from an oebzip. I tried 4 different books and had the same freeze after just a few pages were read.

EPub so far seems stable though, I'll try reducing the width/height of the cover images before exporting again and see if that solves it. Any idea what the max height/width should be for the Hanlin v3?
Old 04-29-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
If I view the lit or epub files in calibre, the covers do display. So I'm not sure if this is a problem with calibre creating an epub file that OI doesn't like, a bug in OI, or just me doing something stupid?
Please open a ticket and attach the file you're having a problem with.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:12 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
EPub so far seems stable though, I'll try reducing the width/height of the cover images before exporting again and see if that solves it. Any idea what the max height/width should be for the Hanlin v3?
I would have said about 550 by 700, but 450 by 600 images are failing in an OEB of the Hobbit. A 400 by 600 image works in a MOBI (larger images fail, and I have submitted a ticket on this). I'll do some more checking tonight.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
JoeD
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
Please open a ticket and attach the file you're having a problem with.
I can't attach the book unfortunatly as it's a purchased book. I'll see if I can recreate the problem with a test file that I can distribute though and will submit a ticket at that time.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
.oebzip was the format I tried before epub, OpenInkPot froze several times when trying to read a book from an oebzip. I tried 4 different books and had the same freeze after just a few pages were read.

Hanlin does reduce the image size automatically but really balks at images over 4 megapixels when viewing images directly. For best results the full screen size of 600x750 (maybe 600x760, need to test) should be utilized. Hanline splits images between screens and this can sometimes cause problems as well. I have yet to figure out exactly what causes these problems but I have forwarded stuff to Jinke about this and other ePUB problems.

Dale
Old 04-29-2009, 10:52 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
I'll see if I can recreate the problem with a test file that I can distribute though and will submit a ticket at that time.
I looked at several ePubs and they all failed to display images of all sizes. I created a test ePub with images at various sizes (none of the images displayed anything except a blank screen) and created a ticket.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:06 AM   #9
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Thanks. Hope LunohoD will have a look at it soon.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:42 AM   #10
boucher
boucher began at the beginning.

Device: none
hay u should read the whole ticket care fully and try to expalin ur problem completly so that u can find solution of ur problem