Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-10-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
MRMOBILE
MRMOBILE began at the beginning.

Device: none
External battery pack

Anyone has experiences with external battery packs?
I have problem of short battery life of my phone. I'm thinking about pick up an external battery pack, but found tons of cheap backup battery packs on Amazon, either branded or unbranded. It's hard to decide which to buy. Anyone can suggest? What external battery packs are you using?
MRMOBILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:42 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I use an Incredicharge external battery charger (I-5000). I bought the I-11000 for my brother, since he uses an iPad and it charges better for those. I'm happy with mine and he said he's used his for both the iPad and his cell phone.

When I check the links on Amazon, where I bought them, neither model is still available. But there are other models (newer versions) still available.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:55 AM   #3
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
I use a Veho Pebble 5000mAh, seems to charge everything.

There is a pro version as well (13200mAh) that also does laptops.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:18 AM   #4
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I have a New Trent something or other (couple of years old model), 5000mAh, one 1A output and one 500mA output. I'd guess that newer packs have more ooomph on the output.

Also have a Veho Pebble Smartstick, 2200mAh, one 500mA output only. (wouldn't have been my first choice given the capacity and limited output but it was a present, and it's really small so...)

Both working well

Last edited by Yolina; 10-10-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #5
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I've a 10,000mah 3 amp one (branded powerwalker) but in my opinion their a bad solution, but they are handy to have in a power cut or similar.

If you have a phone that you can switch batteries best solution is buying an extended one and keeping your original as a spare, if you have to go for an external battery pack you want one that can put out at least 2 or 3 amps or they'll overheat and cut out when you try to charge a tablet or similar, generally the more amps the faster they charge as well but that depends more on your device.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Try this article -- http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the...b-battery-pack

I don't agree with all of their "best" picks but none of them are terrible picks either.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Power traveller do a good range from egg sized up to the gorilla which will power a laptop.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I've a 10,000mah 3 amp one (branded powerwalker) but in my opinion their a bad solution, but they are handy to have in a power cut or similar.

If you have a phone that you can switch batteries best solution is buying an extended one and keeping your original as a spare, if you have to go for an external battery pack you want one that can put out at least 2 or 3 amps or they'll overheat and cut out when you try to charge a tablet or similar, generally the more amps the faster they charge as well but that depends more on your device.
you do realize they are extremely dangerous and can explode without warning.

especially the large ones at a whopping 10000 ones.

i would advise buying it.they can easily kill you or start a fire.a cell phone uses about 1000 to 2000 mah but 100000 is extremely dangerous.remember they are made in chjina from low quality production.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Power traveller do a good range from egg sized up to the gorilla which will power a laptop.
Yup, Power Monkey's are brilliant, my son & I have them, and have never (yet) found anything it won't charge ! And they seem to keep their charge for a very long time indeed. (The Power Monkeys I mean, when "dormant"!)
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:40 AM   #10
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
you do realize they are extremely dangerous and can explode without warning.

especially the large ones at a whopping 10000 ones.

i would advise buying it.they can easily kill you or start a fire.a cell phone uses about 1000 to 2000 mah but 100000 is extremely dangerous.remember they are made in chjina from low quality production.
The odds of them exploding are so small in my opinion it's not even worth considering and you can buy much bigger external batteries like the Powergorilla, I'd even advise the more mah the better as you will get more power from them and if anything the bigger batteries have more protection circuits built in.

I think your confusing what mah is as well, cell phones will use any mah you give them it's the rating of how much power the battery actually holds nothing else, basically you could plug a 50,000 mah battery into any cell phone if you could make it fit and the only difference would be how long the phone lasted between charges.

That said don't skimp and buy a decent brand like anker, or powertraveller if you want reliability and the actual mah rating to be what it claims.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I use a mophie battery pack/case for my phone. I've been using them for the past several years and they have worked like a charm (got the first one, when I got my original iPhone). Right now, I'm using a Kudo case/battery pack/solar charger for my iPad. I've had it a bit over a year and haven't had any problems. As an external battery, I use the mophie powerstation pro. Works like a champ and holds a charge for a very long time. Some external battery packs seem to lose charge while they sit around waiting to be used.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
There is another good reason to buy a bigger capacity (maH).
maH changes with how fast you pull current (ma). This is called 'Discharge rate'.

Slow discharge allow more efficient chemical conversion to happen.

Another factor that affects maH is battery temperature during discharge. Room temperature is best, Cold reduces the chemical activity (efficiency).
Keep battery devices efficient by keeping them inside your jacket in cold weather.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #13
catchit
catchit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catchit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catchit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catchit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catchit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catchit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catchit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catchit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catchit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catchit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catchit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMOBILE View Post
Anyone has experiences with external battery packs?
I have problem of short battery life of my phone. I'm thinking about pick up an external battery pack, but found tons of cheap backup battery packs on Amazon, either branded or unbranded. It's hard to decide which to buy. Anyone can suggest? What external battery packs are you using?
Compared with backup batteries, I suggest you to get an external battery charger. It's better than carrying a bunch of phone-specific batteries with you because you can charge it independently of the phone and your other devices, you can use it with your next phone.

I have one of this (the black version). I've got my hands on it for a few months. It works great with everything I've tried.
http://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Light...RAVPower+14000
catchit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
Sefiriot
Bujavid tekikin
Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: LG G3 D855, Samsung Galaxy Note N7000
I use this power pack: Sanyo eneloop Mobile Booster.
Sefiriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
Teknikal
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchit View Post
Compared with backup batteries, I suggest you to get an external battery charger. It's better than carrying a bunch of phone-specific batteries with you because you can charge it independently of the phone and your other devices, you can use it with your next phone.

I have one of this (the black version). I've got my hands on it for a few months. It works great with everything I've tried.
http://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Light...RAVPower+14000
Going to have to disagree with you, I have both options available to me and slipping in a compact battery and being back to 100% in 30 seconds is much easier than carting around a much bigger external battery and a charging cable then waiting at least 2 hours for a decent charge.

Nobody needs more than one spare battery to get through a day nomatter the phone and you also don't need to charge them in the phone you can get docks that charge your phone and have a place to charge the spare at the same time.