Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 05:22 AM   #1
Vivan
Vivan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle 3 Cover Fail?

I've been reading reviews on Amazin for the new Kindle case, and they've all said that

a) It's way overpriced
b) The strap holding it closed is very flimsy and unreliable

I'd have to agree with a, but I'm unsure about b, having never tested it. I just ordered my Kindle and I'm unsure whether I should get one of Amazon's cases or wait for a 3rd party to release a cheaper, better one.
Vivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:24 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have the lighted cover and think it's excellent. It's expensive, yes, but very good quality and provides excellent protection for the Kindle. The light works extremely well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:36 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
It is rather pricey, I agree with that, but I do like the sturdy feel of it. And why is the strap flimsy and unreliable? It's not that which holds the Kindle in place, it's the clasps.

If there is one negative point, it is that the Kindle doesn't support a left-hand solution...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:50 AM   #4
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
I have both covers and really don't see what they are complaining about, the lighted cover is amazing and my favourite, the standard cover is also really nice, my hubby has that one and I chose the lighted one and would buy it again in a heartbeat if I had to
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:51 AM   #5
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
I received my non-lighted case last week, but am still sans Kindle 3.

In comparison to the Ultimateaddons case I have for my current Sony 300, and the Tuff-Luv my partner has for her Sony 505, I would say:

1. The Kindle case seems very nicely made - a simple but apparently quality product. Better materials than my Ultimateaddons, but at twice the price. Of similar quality to the Tuff-Luv and at a similar price.

2. The locking strap is simple but looks as though it should be reasonably effective - I can imagine it could get rolled out of position in a cluttered bag (based on past experience of a similar system used on an old organiser that I once had).

3. I do like the desktop rest that both the Ultimateaddons and the Tuff-Luv cases provide (very useful for reading at the table whilst eating my lunch at work). I see Tuff-Luv are already advertising new cases for the K3 and I have been tempted to return the Kindle case, but I will wait to see how it works out when I have something to put in it!
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:52 AM   #6
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyd View Post
I chose the lighted one and would buy it again in a heartbeat if I had to
Ditto ! It really is rather neat, at least for me.

pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:59 AM   #7
mvdarend
mvdarend doesn't littermvdarend doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I have the lighted cover and think it's excellent. It's expensive, yes, but very good quality and provides excellent protection for the Kindle. The light works extremely well.
I agree. Although I did balk at the price at first, when considering the prices of other covers with a separate light, it's not too bad at all.
mvdarend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:07 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvdarend View Post
I agree. Although I did balk at the price at first, when considering the prices of other covers with a separate light, it's not too bad at all.
It has the enormous advantage, compared to separate lights, that the light goes out when you fall asleep (as I inevitably do). That really is a very significant feature.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:18 AM   #9
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
I have the cover with light and have no issue with the price/quality and the integrated light is well designed and very handy.

I find the lighting angle strange when using the landscape mode with the keyboard to the left.

There is a slight design flaw witht he connector in that if someone tries to open it from the back, the connectors will bend. That happened to me when one of my kids got hold of it and tried to open it. It was an easy fix bending the connectors back again, but it would have been an improvement had it been designed differently. The connectors seem to be all metal, they're just painted to look like plastic.

The strap looks like it wil eventually be worn off, and it seems that it wouldn't be easily repaired. There are no alternative closing methods, such as the clever magnets on the Sony cover with light.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:04 AM   #10
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It has the enormous advantage, compared to separate lights, that the light goes out when you fall asleep (as I inevitably do). That really is a very significant feature.
Yes that happened to me last night - I must have nodded off and the Kindle was laying on top of me in sleep mode and the light was off. Excellent feature and no worrying about it draining the Kindle battery unnecessarily.

I absolutely love the lighted cover. Yes it is pricey but I don't think it is significantly overpriced. I mean it is genuine leather, very neatly made, the metal hinges are gold plated and it has an excellent little light. Most covers cost around £15-£25 and then if you also want to buy a decent clip on light that cost around the same price and you'd need to buy the batteries too.

If you have the money then it is well worth the splurge. The only thing I would do to improved the cover is have an internal pocket so I could keep my screen cloth with it as well.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:16 AM   #11
Vivan
Vivan began at the beginning.

Device: none
I hadn't considered the lighted cover - the idea seems like it would be rather heavy for one-handed use. Is this so? I know a Kindle is very nice and light, but I would have thought that a case with an inbuilt lamp would increase the weight of it considerably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A review on Amazon
Reading for any duration I find myself having to use both hands or swap hands quite frequently due to the added weight and not using the light that often really doesn't justify its cost and weight.
One of the main reasons I'm going Kindle rather than iPad (after the massive price difference of course) is that the iPad is too heavy to reasonably use for reading.

Last edited by Vivan; 09-02-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Vivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:33 AM   #12
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivan View Post
I hadn't considered the lighted cover - the idea seems like it would be rather heavy for one-handed use. Is this so? I know a Kindle is very nice and light, but I would have thought that a case with an inbuilt lamp would increase the weight of it considerably.

One of the main reasons I'm going Kindle rather than iPad (after the massive price difference of course) is that the iPad is too heavy to reasonably use for reading.
Yes for me it does definitely increase the weight significantly and I read with the Kindle propped on my lap. If I had to hold it up with one hand and read, that would be too heavy.

If it's lightness you want then I would wait and look at other cover options and consider a clip on light.

Other people have remarked that the lighted cover isn't much heavier than the unlighted version. This may be so but it is a very thick and sturdy cover regardless so might not be good if you want to capitalise on the lightness of the Kindle.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I find it very comfortable to hold one-handed with the cover folded back on itself. But then, I'm used to holding the much heavier iPad.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #14
korinian
korinian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I thought the cover for the K2 was great. I ordered the lighted cover for the K3 and then saw the posts regarding the way the light fell on the kindle. When it came in I was very happy with it. It's sturdy, the light works perfectly and has very good coverage. The elastic strap appears to be anchored well on my cover.

It is a pricey cover, but I think it's worth it.
korinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #15
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I have the lighted case and like it quite a bit. It is expensive, but it also feels expensive. The little strap works fine. I almost would like it to be slightly wider so I could hold the sides of it without touching the edge of the Kindle
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote