Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 09-11-2006, 03:41 AM   #1
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
Simplereader v0.11 for Sony Librie released

It looks as though the Sony Librie is about to get a second lease of life: ‘Simplereader v0.11’ has just been released. Still to be considered "work in progress", Andrew Jennings who wrote the app, reports:

Quote:
It boots up to a menu now, displaying all files in the /simplereader/textfiles directory, and letting you choose which file to open. When a file is opened, you can press "Q" to close it and go back to the menu. You can copy your own text files into that directory and try opening them. It will look best if the files don't have any carriage returns within paragraphs. (i.e. each paragraph should be one continuous line.)
The Simplereader website can be found here.

I've seen a lot of chatter on the wire recently about people writing their own apps for the Librie. Many of you will already be familiar with the English Firmware translation project - and if anyone has tried the Simplereader please let us know how you got on.
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 04:51 AM   #2
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Young
I've seen a lot of chatter on the wire recently about people writing their own apps for the Librie. Many of you will already be familiar with the English Firmware translation project - and if anyone has tried the Simplereader please let us know how you got on.
Indeed since past summer (2005) it was possible to logon into the librie thanks to a hack introduced during the Firmware Traslation. During some months the only available example had been a slide display project, allowing one to use the Librie as a secondary display of your main machine. Then I did a port of the netpbm graphical tools plus some extraction tools for djvu documents, but I got stuck about controlling the keyboard. Finally a month ago Jennings reverse engineered the keyboard mechanism and offered a set of C functions to use it plus a pair of utilities to query the keys from bash scripts (the latter due to compatibility with my approach). Now Jennings realeased its browsing demo plus a microSDK, and another guy has uploaded explanations about how to use PPP over the old login scheme, so you can in theory to have full navegation from a Librie-deployed browser (say, links).
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2006, 08:44 AM   #3
segatang
Connoisseur
segatang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kolin i-library
Can/Will the Simplereader supports the TOC?
I wish the Librie can support TOC for LRF file for years.

I hope the Simplereader can/will support Unicode and Asian fonts.
Thanks a lot.

Last edited by segatang; 09-12-2006 at 07:21 PM.
segatang is offline   Reply With Quote